The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 February 2024, 09:35 AM   #1
Ascari_2
2024 Pledge Member

Does anything look off about this 16660?

Hi all,

Looking for some feedback from the experts since this is a first 666 SD that I've had my hands on. Like the title asks, does anything look off to anyone on this 16660 from 1983. Service hands/dial/insert. You can click on each photo and then click it again to enlarge to full resolution.

Thank you all in advance

Old 23 February 2024, 09:42 AM   #2
kidneymd
"TRF" Member

The service parts take all the vintage charm away from this piece. May as well go for a more modern Sea Dweller rather than this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kidneymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 09:54 AM   #3
Ascari_2
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneymd View Post
The service parts take all the vintage charm away from this piece. May as well go for a more modern Sea Dweller rather than this one.

I don't disagree (have a matte dial 16800 and would've loved for this one to have its original pieces), but everything has its price and this one is available at a number that I am happy with. In fact, it's part of a trade and replacing a 16803. I am content with the exchange and just looking for confirmation that I am working with an genuine case/bracelet.
Old 23 February 2024, 10:04 AM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Dial and hands are not original, IMO.
Old 23 February 2024, 10:10 AM   #5
Ascari_2
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Dial and hands are not original, IMO.
Thanks, Dan. Noted in the original thread that these are supposed to be service parts along with the insert. I assume you mean what you say when you say "not original." Meaning they are not original to the watch ... not that I am looking at non-genuine parts.
Old 23 February 2024, 10:23 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Oh, sorry, I didn't read so carefully. Yes, as you noted they are service parts.
Old 23 February 2024, 10:55 AM   #7
kidneymd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari_2 View Post
I don't disagree (have a matte dial 16800 and would've loved for this one to have its original pieces), but everything has its price and this one is available at a number that I am happy with. In fact, it's part of a trade and replacing a 16803. I am content with the exchange and just looking for confirmation that I am working with an genuine case/bracelet.

I hear what you’re saying. I would actually love to have a 1016 with modern luminova service dial at the right price. I prefer the look of the vintage models but wouldn’t want the worry of preserving an older dial.

kidneymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 08:16 PM   #8
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
No expert but adding my 2C.
Buying it just because it is cheap ?
The allure of the short term produced 16660 is in its originality imho
Old 23 February 2024, 10:42 PM   #9
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
It's fine, but as you point out/say a service-a-go-go piece.

Would be end-ish of Matte run originally.

For ref - In the UK be well under half that of an original matte one, and about four fifths of a later period T25 W.G.S.one. So buy on price my advice if you do proceed !

B U T If the watch isn't a matte dial version I personally don't see much benefit of buying a triple 6 over a double 6.

Having said that, I personally think the matte 16660 are really pricey at £17-18k loose watch.

The reason the 666 Mattes are so high, is that is they only made about 1/8th of the matte 16600, compared to the 16800 matte Subs.

This was compounded as Sea Dwellers were considered a bit chunky/tooly I recall by many in the 80'/90s g.t.g's i attended (when big watch fashion was just in its infancy in 95/96 - Stallone/Arnie with AP and Panerai)

Also, the 15-18% price premium over a Sub put a lot off I recall.

Apapro of little, but in that model zone i.m.h.o the value watch at moment is a 16600 tritium early 90s circa £7-8 k or left field a 16800 matte circa £9-10k. Early Tritium 14060/16610 are back to £6k too !
I see the torch, We all must hold
RAIN SONG - Led Zeppelin.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 12:07 PM   #10
Ascari_2
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
No expert but adding my 2C.
Buying it just because it is cheap ?
The allure of the short term produced 16660 is in its originality imho
Got it because it was offered as a trade for a 16803 that was definitely used during its life. So the numbers seemed to work out that if I didn't like the feel of it I should be able to recoup the cost that I would have with the 16803 or at least be close to it.
Old 25 February 2024, 12:42 PM   #11
Ascari_2
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
It's fine, but as you point out/say a service-a-go-go piece.

Would be end-ish of Matte run originally.

For ref - In the UK be well under half that of an original matte one, and about four fifths of a later period T25 W.G.S.one. So buy on price my advice if you do proceed !

B U T If the watch isn't a matte dial version I personally don't see much benefit of buying a triple 6 over a double 6.

Having said that, I personally think the matte 16660 are really pricey at £17-18k loose watch.

The reason the 666 Mattes are so high, is that is they only made about 1/8th of the matte 16600, compared to the 16800 matte Subs.

This was compounded as Sea Dwellers were considered a bit chunky/tooly I recall by many in the 80'/90s g.t.g's i attended (when big watch fashion was just in its infancy in 95/96 - Stallone/Arnie with AP and Panerai)

Also, the 15-18% price premium over a Sub put a lot off I recall.

Apapro of little, but in that model zone i.m.h.o the value watch at moment is a 16600 tritium early 90s circa £7-8 k or left field a 16800 matte circa £9-10k. Early Tritium 14060/16610 are back to £6k too !
I would defer to the experts on here, but I think '83 was still part of the matte era. If it was possible to locate a matte dial for it, that would be awesome.

And again, this was not a purchase (though even if it was, I still think everything has its price), it was a trade. All things considered I have around 6k invested into this piece. At that number I feel comfortable that I am not going to lose much on this watch, if any.
Old 25 February 2024, 06:08 PM   #12
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
I would defer to the experts on here, but I think '83 was still part of the matte era. If it was possible to locate a matte dial for it, that would be awesome.

And again, this was not a purchase (though even if it was, I still think everything has its price), it was a trade. All things considered I have around 6k invested into this piece. At that number I feel comfortable that I am not going to lose much on this watch, if any.
Yes as mentioned it would have been matte if pre 8.2million, and perhaps matte if pre 8.5million.

7.4 million 100% matte.

However, £5.3k \ $6k is exactly what I would max out at on it myself with a service Swiss Made in-situ.

Imho all about price and potential.

You've imho traded/bought well, and if you have the chance to get a matte dial (f.i.o I bought one and trit' handset for a hefty $5k a year or so back - they are three times the price of a 16800 matte dial unfortunately at c £1650) and then you'd nearly double that £5k investment or wear it as a perfectly good SD.
I see the torch, We all must hold
RAIN SONG - Led Zeppelin.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 06:22 PM   #13
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I had a 803xxx 1665 which in the booklet showed a matte dial 16660 running concurrently. As stated the matte 16660 ran for a couple of years and is rare to find. I’d rather find a luminova dial 1665 which will still have plexi and vintage vibes than a luminova 16660 which is virtually indistinguishable from modern pieces.
Nevertheless, it’s a great piece. Equivalent value to 16803? Only you can judge that.
Will you have a ‘completely replaced vintage watch with no history or value’ or ‘an incredibly rare wear-it-everyday vintage watch’!!