The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 December 2015, 06:32 AM   #1
sigsauer
"TRF" Member

BMW M3, Any suggestions?

Merry Christmas!

I've been in the market for a fun car that I can use for special nights with the wife, Sunday rides, late night forays to the other side of 55 MPH and HPDE track days.

After cross shopping a Porsche 997, I've pretty much settled on the 2011-2013 E92 series M3. I was hoping to see if any members had experience or advice on what to be leery of when researching and conducting a PPI for one of these.

Many thanks in advance,
Sig
sigsauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2015, 06:50 AM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Sure you don't want a Dodge charger hellcat?
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2015, 06:53 AM   #3
Pix
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Datejust
Get on the Bimmer forum, also attend a few track days before you purchase and talk to the people racing them.
Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2015, 07:09 AM   #4
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I don't own one, but I have many friends who do. The E9x is the last great M car. The S65 is a stellar motor. Just watch out for the rod bearings. Go for it!
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2015, 07:11 AM   #5
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
It s great car ,2011 or older cars are already LCI with some great updates ,I d try to get a ZCP (competition packet option in the US) for the great wheels an the EDC .S65 weak point is the rod bearing it has to be replaced every 50-60k miles otherwise as said before it s a great car to drive.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2015, 07:49 AM   #6
sigsauer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Sure you don't want a Dodge charger hellcat?
Sure and I've looked into them somewhat, but based upon some build quality issues I observed on new cars (orange peel, panels not lined up) plus the dealer premium being added in no matter what Fiat USA says, you're looking at close to $80k out the door!
Old 25 December 2015, 08:32 AM   #7
josephvman
Banned

The V8 M3 is a great choice, and a Coupe with a manual gearbox and the carbon roof (no sunroof) would be my pick, and a very likely future collectible.
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2015, 08:41 AM   #8
sigsauer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
The V8 M3 is a great choice, and a Coupe with a manual gearbox and the carbon roof (no sunroof) would be my pick, and a very likely future collectible.
Those are my thoughts as well! I can't believe how many DCT cars are out there. I have paddle shifters on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Although the comparison is akin to a Rolex vs. a Luminox (own both, both have different purposes) the paddles are just not engaging enough for me.
Old 25 December 2015, 08:41 AM   #9
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Dodge charger hellcat

x2

fastest car for the price

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2015, 08:43 AM   #10
sigsauer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
It s great car ,2011 or older cars are already LCI with some great updates ,I d try to get a ZCP (competition packet option in the US) for the great wheels an the EDC .S65 weak point is the rod bearing it has to be replaced every 50-60k miles otherwise as said before it s a great car to drive.
Thanks for the note on the rod bearing issue. I'll need to look into that further. Any way around that problem?
Old 25 December 2015, 12:16 PM   #11
Dyim
"TRF" Member

What's your budget?

If you are looking at 997, I would look at Cayman too. More neutral track car than any 911.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2015, 12:51 PM   #12
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Seriously, find and E30, the best M3 ever made, cheap, easy to work on and tosn ofn tracks every weekend
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2015, 01:02 PM   #13
Highland Ranger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
S65 weak point is the rod bearing it has to be replaced every 50-60k miles otherwise as said before it s a great car to drive.
Sounds like the automotive equivalent of other than that, how was the play Mrs Lincoln.

Great car and needs rod bearings at 50k are mutually exclusive.

Engines should last more than 50k before what in all likelihood could be catastrophic failure.

Hellcat.
Chevy Ss
Zl1
Z06
Shelby

All designed to run more than 50k. All a blast although perhaps not with the perceived prestige of an M.
Highland Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2015, 01:05 PM   #14
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Seriously, find and E30, the best M3 ever made, cheap, easy to work on and tosn ofn tracks every weekend
A really nice, clean E30 M3 can set you back more than a brand new, loaded M3/M3.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2015, 01:44 PM   #15
sigsauer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyim View Post
What's your budget?

If you are looking at 997, I would look at Cayman too. More neutral track car than any 911.
I know the Cayman / Spyder / Boxters are great cars, but I'd like four real seats that I can put the kids in too. That's why I'm looking for an alternative to the 997.
Old 25 December 2015, 01:52 PM   #16
sigsauer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Ranger View Post
Sounds like the automotive equivalent of other than that, how was the play Mrs Lincoln.

Great car and needs rod bearings at 50k are mutually exclusive.

Engines should last more than 50k before what in all likelihood could be catastrophic failure.

Hellcat.
Chevy Ss
Zl1
Z06
Shelby

All designed to run more than 50k. All a blast although perhaps not with the perceived prestige of an M.
Great analogy!

The ZL1 and GT350s are great alternatives. The Shelby in particular has gotten great write ups. The bearing issue is concerning, although the more I look into it, the more it seems to be limited to a small percentage of cars. Tremec transmissions were an issue in the older Shelbys and some Challengers. I was never much of a Corvette guy. I'd like 4 real seats.
Old 25 December 2015, 03:00 PM   #17
Dyim
"TRF" Member

What about the M2 if you can wait?

I had a 135 and the back seats are much more usable than any 911.

Lots of info here if you have your heart set on the M3.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/index.php

Some M cars can be heavily modified/ tracked/ abused. Be very careful if buying private. You should be able to pull up all service history from the dealer if you give them the VIN.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2015, 06:03 PM   #18
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigsauer View Post
Thanks for the note on the rod bearing issue. I'll need to look into that further. Any way around that problem?

Some cars run 120k w/o any issue some has a failure earlier w/o any previous singn,since you buy preowned or CPO my suggestion to replace the bearings anyhow-except if the owner confirms it was done recently-.

Regarding the shifters , i m a big fan of 6MT but i d definetly buy this particular model with DCT ,it s just better.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 25 December 2015, 06:46 PM   #19
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Have the bearings changed at around 60K and you are once again good for another 60 or so. The E60 M5 with the S85 engine has the same rod bearing issue. It's not a deal breaker IMO.
Old 26 December 2015, 02:32 AM   #20
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Those are my thoughts as well! I can't believe how many DCT cars are out there. I have paddle shifters on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Although the comparison is akin to a Rolex vs. a Luminox (own both, both have different purposes) the paddles are just not engaging enough for me.
Keep in mind the setup in your jeep is akin to a dct like a luminox is to a Rolex. But I can understand if you must.

Quote:
What's your budget?

A shame you need the back seats because the 981 platform is the best driving experience under 100k that's comfortable enough for a DD. IMHO

I had a 991 c2 before getting my current f80 m3. I am considering getting a 981 gts but I too enjoy having the utility of the rear seats for my dog and Home Depot runs etc.

I think a 991 c2 would suit you perfectly if you can find one for the right price.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2015, 02:56 AM   #21
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Sure and I've looked into them somewhat, but based upon some build quality issues I observed on new cars (orange peel, panels not lined up) plus the dealer premium being added in no matter what Fiat USA says, you're looking at close to $80k out the door!
I disagree but I'm not trying to take this off topic too much. The charger is based on the mb e350 frame and if were serious I could get you one at close to sticker.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2015, 03:38 AM   #22
Desibaba
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Pam90,SA2
Dont buy one. Lease a new one and dump it soon as the warranty is up. Your wallet will thank you later. If you want to buy stick to a domestic (Corvette, Hellcat, etc). Anything out of Europe will quickly become a money pit when your warranty goes out and things start falling apart (which they will).
Desibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2015, 04:06 AM   #23
Hpozzuoli
Banned

Watch: Rolex
I used to do the Sl's and the the M's but every Tom, Dick, and Harry has them along with those A4's. So I went the classic route. I love vintage muscle over the modern stuff. Currently I have a 71 Corvette. Might add a camaro down the road.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2015, 04:10 AM   #24
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desibaba View Post
Dont buy one. Lease a new one and dump it soon as the warranty is up. Your wallet will thank you later. If you want to buy stick to a domestic (Corvette, Hellcat, etc). Anything out of Europe will quickly become a money pit when your warranty goes out and things start falling apart (which they will).
NA V8 M3 isn t avaliable anymore the turbocharged inline6 M3/4 is different ,
BTW you hardly make anything in the US and even those are not as good in quality as used to be ,
your comment is really funny on a swiss watch forum.

Merry Xmas
cheers

---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 26 December 2015, 04:43 AM   #25
Desibaba
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Pam90,SA2
Quote:
NA V8 M3 isn t avaliable anymore the turbocharged inline6 M3/4 is different ,
BTW you hardly make anything in the US and even those are not as good in quality as used to be ,
your comment is really funny on a swiss watch forum.

Merry Xmas
cheers
I drive a Benz myself and have been selling euro cars for years. Nothing against them. I just think its not smart to own one when you consider depreciation, repair costs and the unreliability. I hope you are kidding when you compare the reliability and strong resale value of a Rolex to a european car
Desibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2015, 05:56 AM   #26
sigsauer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What about the M2 if you can wait?

I had a 135 and the back seats are much more usable than any 911.

Lots of info here if you have your heart set on the M3.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/index.php

Some M cars can be heavily modified/ tracked/ abused. Be very careful if buying private. You should be able to pull up all service history from the dealer if you give them the VIN.

Thanks for the forum suggestion. I'll start digging in. Haven't looked into the forthcoming M2. I remember the M1 from few years ago. Very cool, but limited production car.
Old 26 December 2015, 05:56 AM   #27
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desibaba View Post
I drive a Benz myself and have been selling euro cars for years. Nothing against them. I just think its not smart to own one when you consider depreciation, repair costs and the unreliability. I hope you are kidding when you compare the reliability and strong resale value of a Rolex to a european car
Too bad car industry is fully implemented the planned obsolescence theory however in some cases you have no other chance than get it w/o warranty if you want it so badly.

No i m not comparing Rolexes to cars ,I fully agree swiss timepieces are more reliable than swiss cars :-)

---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 26 December 2015, 06:06 AM   #28
sigsauer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Some cars run 120k w/o any issue some has a failure earlier w/o any previous singn,since you buy preowned or CPO my suggestion to replace the bearings anyhow-except if the owner confirms it was done recently-.

Regarding the shifters , i m a big fan of 6MT but i d definetly buy this particular model with DCT ,it s just better.
I see there a number of aftermarket producers of bearing upgrade kits. As long as you catch it in time, it doesn't look like a nonstarter. Something to really think about though.
Old 26 December 2015, 06:09 AM   #29
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
2011-2013 E92 M3 would be my choice. The S65 engine is marvelous. Spend time on the BMW forums for more specific research. Although the rod bearing issue isn't nearly as big as the forums suggest, it's worth learning more about what to look out for.

I second the DCT over manual. Paddles may be on every car, they aren't the same as a proper dual clutch transmission. Drive a DCT in (MDM mode and set the shifting to S6) around a track and you won't be complaining about lack of engagement or fun. And unless you plan on investing in cool overs, get the performance package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2015, 06:12 AM   #30
sigsauer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Keep in mind the setup in your jeep is akin to a dct like a luminox is to a Rolex. But I can understand if you must.

A shame you need the back seats because the 981 platform is the best driving experience under 100k that's comfortable enough for a DD. IMHO

I had a 991 c2 before getting my current f80 m3. I am considering getting a 981 gts but I too enjoy having the utility of the rear seats for my dog and Home Depot runs etc.

I think a 991 c2 would suit you perfectly if you can find one for the right price.

I was speaking with a true enthusiast PCar guy who was telling me the most recent version of the Cayman (not sure if it's the GT4) with the PDK is untouchable at the track.