The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 December 2015, 05:11 PM   #61
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
F8x
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (90.2 KB, 56 views)
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2015, 01:51 AM   #62
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Looking good rashid love that YM blue.

Here is mine
SSll + red interior was my first choice, but none were available and didn't want to wait so settled on my Yas, now I'm thinking of trading it for a coupe. This damn forum introduced me to flipping things.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2015, 02:11 AM   #63
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
SSll + red interior was my first choice, but none were available and didn't want to wait so settled on my Yas, now I'm thinking of trading it for a coupe. This damn forum introduced me to flipping things.
I went with the sakir interior full leather and while I really dig it, it is showing signs of blue jeans

Thankfully its a lease so i don't let it get to me.

I know that feeling, I was going to flip this on a lease trader since I got a smoking deal but then I keep telling myself, why not keep the smoking deal you moron
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2015, 02:31 AM   #64
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMember View Post
The OP is asking about M3 and you folks keep preaching your redneck mobiles. I'm surprised no one suggested (yet) he gets the same pick-me-up that they own.

How about a Chevy Silverado?? I have a 2015 High Country and it will out pull any Porschč or Bímmer thing you are looking at. It's a great "redneck mobile" 😳😳

But on a serious note, I had an E46 M3 convertible with the DSG gearbox that was a blast to drive. As well as a coupe with the 6m. Was also a blast to drive. Once they went away from the I6 and went to the v8 in the e90 I just didn't feel the love any more. Maybe it was that sound that the 333hp I6 made??

If you need 4 seats they are hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2015, 06:28 AM   #65
FiftyTwoEighty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me live @the Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
How about a Chevy Silverado?? I have a 2015 High Country and it will out pull any Porschč or Bímmer thing you are looking at. It's a great "redneck mobile" 😳😳

But on a serious note, I had an E46 M3 convertible with the DSG gearbox that was a blast to drive. As well as a coupe with the 6m. Was also a blast to drive. Once they went away from the I6 and went to the v8 in the e90 I just didn't feel the love any more. Maybe it was that sound that the 333hp I6 made??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some beautiful f80s in this thread!!! I never moved to the f10 m5, but I do love the f80s.

BMW is back to the I6 for the m3/m4, although the turbos muffle the sound.

Sound will always subjective, and I've been addicted to my old school, 3 pedaled, v10.

My s85 singing on an airstrip runway:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1277.jpg (51.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1246.jpg (82.0 KB, 42 views)

Some 4 digits, 5 digits, and 6 digits

2FA
FiftyTwoEighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2015, 01:25 PM   #66
sigsauer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyTwoEighty View Post
^This!

OP: As an s85 (the bigger brother of the s65 engine in the e90 m3) owner and enthusist, I've driven nearly 400,000 miles of ///m ownership between 3 generations of m5s. I still own, track, and daily drive my first generation e28 m5 and fourth generation e60 m5.

I can tell you the rod bearings are a maintenance issue. If you don't replace ANY maintenance item when it's needed, failure will occur. I replaced my rod bearings at 84,000 as part and parcel of preventative maintenance.

And the cost of rod bearing replacement is no more than a set of track wheels and r-comps or headers and full exhaust.

Personally, I would opt for a 3 pedals over a DCT. I love taking my 3 pedaled m5s to the track and driving around flappy paddled owners that don't know the line.
Good to know and thanks for the info!
sigsauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2015, 01:37 PM   #67
sigsauer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Well this might be a great option but it's now cult status will make it very difficult to find and as expensive as a new one and likely more still for good condition models.

I can't speak too much on the E90 as I never owned one but have a few friends who have them. The rod bearing issue is a dark cloud over an otherwise seemingly perfect vehicle. While it is not a widespread rampant issue, it is one that haunts owners. I know of two that had the bearings replaced already. So with that in mind, buying an E90 this will be a constant shadow that is ever present.

The E90 is the best sounding M car ever made in my opinion and the manual transmission is sublime. If this is a car you're going to keep over the long haul and are prepared to take the maintenance(rod bearing) concerns as a new friend then it is a great car for your needs.
I will also say that of the many guys I go to car meets with, a high percentage, more than half of the F80 owners came from an E9X, once they drove the F8X there was no going back, I know of only one F80 owner who went back to his E90 after owning the F80.

I'm not making this a debate, I love both but for my reasons choose the F80 and understand the reasons why some decide to go with the E90 or E46(in this case not performance), BMW like Porsche has a cult following.

I own a new F80 M3 and it is my my first M car and hadn't driven an M3 prior to purchase. Having said that, when I drove my friend's E90 M3s there is no comparison, the interior is a huge improvement by miles, the engine power is incredible, you will have to learn to control the throttle or risk snapping out the rear.
The weak point for many is the sound, for me, I love it. I have an M Performance exhaust and it makes a sound that to me is incredible, and very addicting. The handling is race car tight and I have yet to feel the car understeer. Some say they feel some turbo lag but with full torque at 1800 rpms, which means that it's climbing around 1000 rpms, I don't feel any. Coming from an STI and Evo X, I'm pretty sure I know what turbo lag is.

Now the reason I'm even mentioning my M3 when it's not an option is because for one, it should be, but secondly because the M2 will be here Spring 2016. While it won't have the same power levels as the F8Xs it will have similar power levels to the E90 and in the performance aspect will be a better car. The M2 will have all the same improvements as the F8X generation so I think it will be a great car and much easier to acquire than the GT4 and definitely more liveable for the normal weekend drives you might want to take.

Here's a generations comparison video which I think hi-lights almost perfectly my sentiments of the various M generations. The E30 is an amazing car but then you drive it, and so goes for every generation. I find that with cars that have such a strong lineage, followers are obsessed with nostalgia and nostalgia is a magical thing, because no matter what a new car brings....turbos, DCTs, chasis, better fuel economy, faster track times, water cooled....nostalgia kicks in....

Here's the comparison video:

https://youtu.be/3uNiye9G8HI

Here's a pic of my F80. Other worthwhile options I think you should consider are the new GT350 with it's flat plane crank V8 engine, there will be no complaints in the sound department and the car is proving to be a performer. A Cayman GTS is aso another great contender since you mentioned the GT4, a better compromise in daily driving and performance than the out right track weapon the GT4 is suited to be.

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes the new M3 / M4 are gorgeous inside and I like the exterior, but prefer the aggressive rake coupled with the roundness of the E92.

Yes the GT350 is a strong contender. As far as price comparison, the later used M3s are in line price wise with a new GT350 (minus the dealer markup anyway!)
Old 30 December 2015, 01:40 PM   #68
sigsauer
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=bdex75;6355810]How about a Chevy Silverado?? I have a 2015 High Country and it will out pull any Porschč or Bímmer thing you are looking at. It's a great "redneck mobile" 😳😳

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

It seems everyone has their favorite series when it comes to this car.
Old 30 December 2015, 01:43 PM   #69
sigsauer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyTwoEighty View Post
Some beautiful f80s in this thread!!! I never moved to the f10 m5, but I do love the f80s.

BMW is back to the I6 for the m3/m4, although the turbos muffle the sound.

Sound will always subjective, and I've been addicted to my old school, 3 pedaled, v10.

My s85 singing on an airstrip runway:

That's just beautiful. Congratulations.