The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 May 2011, 07:44 AM   #1
watch watcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintages
"Rolex certified" watchmaker

Just exactly what is a Rolex certified watchmaker? I see that thrown around a lot on eBay and other sites, which sounds a bit tacky. So are they watchmakers that used to work at an AD, or can one get certification directly from Rolex? What I'm get at is how much stock should be put into a watch advertised as having been gone over "by our certified Rolex watchmaker" (from a non-AD)?
watch watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 08:04 AM   #2
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

A Rolex certified watchmaker has to have completed the Century 21 watchmakers course.
This is a requirement by Rolex to become an official Rolex technician and is designed by Rolex to uphold their stringent expectations.
Without this course, anyone else can not be given a Rolex parts account, and is not considered qualified!!

Hope that helps a little!

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 08:06 AM   #3
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Not tacky at all. Rolex certification is getting harder and harder to maintain from what I understand.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 08:07 AM   #4
usbzoso
Banned

Watch: 16610/16600/16800
Didn't Rolex end this program in like 2008 of giving out certifications to watchmakers?
usbzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 08:11 AM   #5
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbzoso View Post
Didn't Rolex end this program in like 2008 of giving out certifications to watchmakers?
I was under the impression they had though I'm not sure when.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 08:13 AM   #6
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Interesting..........I hadn't heard that. I wonder how someone could keep a Rolex parts account then??

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 20 May 2011, 08:18 AM   #7
sleddog

It is still a current standard for any Rolex parts account holder to maintain their status!!

Here's an interesting thread started by Riki, who is a TRF forum watch tech and certified Rolex Tech!!

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=162083

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 08:21 AM   #8
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the link

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 20 May 2011, 08:27 AM   #9
AJSM
2024 Pledge Member

Education
The Rolex Institute underwrites a number of highly respected educational activities in the watchmaking and technological fields.
It is a major funder of the new Learning Centre of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (known by its French acronym, EPFL). Opening in 2010, the centre, designed by Japanese architect Kazuyo Sejima, will house a central library, computer facilities, study areas and conference rooms. At the heart of the EPFL campus, it is expected to attract some of the best scientists from around the world.
Rolex also funds two watchmaking schools in collaboration with the Watchmakers of Switzerland Training and Education Program (WOSTEP), located in Neuchatel, Switzerland. The organization’s objective is to develop the profession throughout the world.
The Lititz Watch Technicum, a not‐for‐profit foundation entirely subsidized by Rolex, occupies 10,000 square feet (900 square metres) in a state‐of‐the‐art facility in Lititz, Pennsylvania, in the United States. Here students, whose tuition is paid by Rolex, participate in the two‐year, 3,000‐hour WOSTEP programme.
Rolex opened the Tokyo Watch Technicum in 2002. Students who follow the two‐ year programme and pass the final examination receive a diploma as watchmakers certified by WOSTEP. The Tokyo Watch Technicum trains 12 new watchmakers every year.
Opened in September 2007, the latest watchmaking school supported by Rolex is the Rolex Training Centre Mumbai. The first six graduates of the 12‐month
course, which is designed for professional watchmakers, received their certificates in 2008.
Those graduating from these watchmaking schools are prepared to respond to the most demanding requirements of the industry. They are not obliged to work for Rolex.
AJSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 08:37 AM   #10
watch watcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintages
Well then, if ceritified techs are allowed to work in the wild (not at an AD), then why send the watch for an expensive "official" service at Rolex rather than a local mom & pop watch shop which happens to have a Rolex tech employed there and save a ton of money in the process?
watch watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 08:42 AM   #11
AJSM
2024 Pledge Member

It all comes down to customer service. Who treats you the best. Price is secondary to me, service is the most important.
Old 20 May 2011, 08:46 AM   #12
dbphotos
"TRF" Member

Watch: your 6!
Quote:
Originally Posted by watch watcher View Post
Well then, if ceritified techs are allowed to work in the wild (not at an AD), then why send the watch for an expensive "official" service at Rolex rather than a local mom & pop watch shop which happens to have a Rolex tech employed there and save a ton of money in the process?
My guess is that if someone spent 12 months of their life going through this training, they are not going to sell theirselves short by charging substantially less than RSC. If someone finds a watch maker at substantially less rates than RSC, then they are probably not certified. This doesn't mean they are not qualified, but you asked about certification.

I have only used 2 watch makers in my life; Bob Ridley who is not less expensive than RSC, but his experience and quality speaks for itself and another watch maker in Menlo Park, CA who was always more expensive than RSC and as far as I know, not Rolex "Certified", but was on caliber with Bob Ridley.

Rolex DD YG 18238 | Rolex 1675 Pepsi | Rolex 14060 |
Rolex Vintage 6694 | Rolex TT 16013 | Tudor Tiger 79280P on Shark strap | a whole bunch of misc watches
dbphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 08:51 AM   #13
AJSM
2024 Pledge Member

Pretty sure it is like 10K to 20K a year agreement with Rolex to maintain a parts account.
Old 20 May 2011, 09:03 AM   #14
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
It is still a current standard for any Rolex parts account holder to maintain their status!!

Here's an interesting thread started by Riki, who is a TRF forum watch tech and certified Rolex Tech!!

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=162083
Thanks Rob. That clears it up.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 10:27 AM   #15
HL65

Watch: One on my wrist.
Thanks Rob- interesting!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 10:35 AM   #16
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbzoso View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Watchmakers had until Jan. 2011 to qualify.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 04:41 PM   #17
sdwtchlvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
It's been mentioned above but I can confirm that there are Rolex Certified Technicians in the wild with parts accounts. My watchmaker here in SD has an account in good standing and still regularly attends trainings at Rolex.

From what he has told me and showed me in his shop, Rolex requires specific equipment in order to maintain a parts account, much of this equipment is very expensive. Some replacement parts he still cannot get as Rolex chooses what they will release and what they won't. For example, he cannot get bezels or bracelets. When I wanted to get a replacement bezel for my ExpII, he said Rolex requires that I send it in. They are very strict and have representatives visiting the shop regularly. Rolex runs the show and I know my watchmaker really values his parts account so he adheres to their rules.

But his service is just as good as RSC in my opinion and quite inexpensive compared to Rolex. And this is not a case of you get what you pay for. He has serviced many of my watches and I have been 100% satisfied. If I thought for a second that my watches were at risk, I would send them into Rolex, no question.
sdwtchlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 12:04 AM   #18
Mikel212
"TRF" Member

My watchmaker WAS certified and independent but could not afford to maintain the equipment and standards to be Rolex certified. He said he had guys inspect the shop and from time to time, required his equipment to be upgraded at his cost. Rolex also became restrictive with the parts that he can order. According to him, anything insided a watch was easy to get, but anything outside was near impossible. He couldnt even get end-links for a sub. He eventually decided that he just wasnt getting enought "ROLEX" business to keep his account. Rolex isnt just expensive for the end-user, its expensive for the entire distribution chain.
Mikel212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 01:15 AM   #19
Banned

Watch: Rolex 6352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel212 View Post
My watchmaker WAS certified and independent but could not afford to maintain the equipment and standards to be Rolex certified. He said he had guys inspect the shop and from time to time, required his equipment to be upgraded at his cost. Rolex also became restrictive with the parts that he can order. According to him, anything insides a watch was easy to get, but anything outside was near impossible. He couldn't even get end-links for a sub. He eventually decided that he just wasn't getting enough "ROLEX" business to keep his account. Rolex isn't just expensive for the end-user, its expensive for the entire distribution chain.

No one cannot bitch and complain about Rolex making rules and regulations because we have a choice to own a superb quality Rolex watch.
6352 is offline   Reply With Quote