The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 12 April 2018, 01:45 PM   #1
TokyoExpat
"TRF" Member

Patek for a noob

Considering buying a used Patek as a daily wearer and my 1st Patek, for a bit north of $20,000. Work in an office on weekdays and typically wear business casual on weekends (shorts in summer). Can't stand Patek sport watches (Nautilis, Aquanat, etc.) Prefer yellow/pink/rose gold to white gold/platinum. Going against the Patek aesthetic, I like watches that attract attention, so a larger size would probably be best .

Saw a 5170J with silver dial in person and loved it vs. the few other (smaller) Pateks on display but at 45-50K used, it's way out of my price range. A 5205R-001 would probably also fit the bill but again too expensive. Considering stretching to a 5146. (I've never seen any of the latter two watches in person.)

Any recommendations?
TokyoExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 02:15 PM   #2
sctp39
"TRF" Member

5110?
sctp39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 10:19 PM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Patek for a noob

I know it’s not what you asked for but a Vacheron 1921 in RG fits the bill and more striking than most pateks in that price range.
Old 12 April 2018, 10:20 PM   #4
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Patek 5135 is larger and may attract attention, but probably over $20K USD.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 03:11 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Lange would also be worthy of consideration here, Saxonia, 1815 or Richard Lange, classy and they have presence too.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 11:35 AM   #6
soundserious
"TRF" Member

5035, dearly miss mine
Old 13 April 2018, 12:54 PM   #7
TokyoExpat
"TRF" Member

Thank you all very much for your advice!

Some thoughts:

The Vacheron 1921 is an intriguing prospect and I will try to hunt one down to see it/try it on in the flesh. Maybe an unusual choice for a daily wearer, but it would be a conversation piece and (as I am an American outside of America) would be fitting and could lead to a discussion of the utility of the twist while driving/on a computer, art deco precedents, etc.

As for the 5135, I will try to find one of those in the metal as well. Which got me thinking, do people hold strong views on round vs. cushion/square shaped wristwatches? Do people tend to like them equally and consider having both to add variety to a collection, or do many prefer one shape to the other?

As for the Langes, I went to see some in person recently and while I liked them, they didn't jump out at me as much as I thought they would (though they may have been WG models; I will go to try out a Grand Lange moonphase in YG/RG in person - but again out of my price range used).

A 5035 would probably be too small/subtle for me.

I went to a shop offering a few Pateks the other day and was actually drawn to a rose gold 44mm Roger Dubuis monegasque, though that would probably get me teased in the office by my seniors who wear simple/inexpensive watches. And changing the thing out/in for an "office watch" every weekday morning/night would also be a hassle, especially since it doesn't have a deployant buckle. Still, if acquired at a good price on the used market, it offers a lot of "bang for the buck" in terms of volume of gold and wrist presence vs a Patek (it really stood out next to a Patek being sold for more than double the price, though yes I know - nouveaux riche bling styling vs subtle, sophisticated class etc.).
TokyoExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 07:22 AM   #8
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
if you want a “showy” watch, why bother with Patek at all? With your budget, if you want an everyday in-your-face watch, you should consider:

- Rolex 11618LB
- Rolex 11618LN
- Blancpain Fathoms 18k Rose gold ($13000)
- Panerai PAM 513 Rose gold ($12000)
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 11:26 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetracer View Post
if you want a “showy” watch, why bother with Patek at all? With your budget, if you want an everyday in-your-face watch, you should consider:

- Rolex 11618LB
- Rolex 11618LN
- Blancpain Fathoms 18k Rose gold ($13000)
- Panerai PAM 513 Rose gold ($12000)
Was trying on this beauty recently, retail is nasty but at that price I'd be so tempted.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 09:49 AM   #10
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

5296G-001 Sector. Should be able to get new from an AD for 23k
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote