The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 2 April 2021, 01:53 PM   #1
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Bob's Watches ... bad policy, horrible experience.

Today I had some time while in Newport Beach, so decided to stop by Bob's Watch (my first time) to see what they had on offer. As I approached their door around 4pm, I saw a sign saying, they were appointment only, but if there was time, you can enter and be seen. So, I opened the door and spoke to the receptionist who said they had time to serve me. She explained the process, which was for me to sit at one of their desks with one of their iPads and choose watches I'd like to see. Once I had an idea, I was to write down their inventory number and they would bring them to me, but only two at a time, which was understandable.

So, I wrote down the first three watches on a sticky, which she took while I was writing down more watches (seven in total). I left the rest of the stickies there while I waited for the first two watches - the others I was going to look at were the WG Sub 126619, the white Daytona 116500, the Sub Date 126610LV, and Milgauss 1019 from 1968.

A sales rep came out with a 1963 Submariner 5513 (https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-su...tage-5513.html) and 1966 GMT 1675 Pepsi (https://www.bobswatches.com/vintage-...5-pepsi.html); she reminded me that they closed at 5pm. The submariner's bezel would not turn, she said someone would have to look into that. The GMT was on what appeared to be the original rivet bracelet, which was too small to fit on my wrist and the wind seemed to be crisp, but not as smooth as I would like to feel in a Rolex. So, I thanked her and said I would like to see the next two I selected. It was around 4:15pm at that time.

She said, "No, that's not how it works. There are only two watches per appointment, so you will have to make another appointment and come back to see any more watches."

I left, but wasn't happy ... I mean why not show me more watches? So I called the story as I drove away. The same sales rep answered. I was up front with her and told her I wasn't happy about being asked to make another appointment and drive an hour back to see more. They weren't busy, so why not just show me the others. She said it was policy, so I asked to speak to the manager. She said the manager was in a meeting, but she would pass him and note and promised he would call me back before they closed. I asked the name of the manager, she said he was George (I think). I received no call.

My question for everyone ==> have you done business with Bob's and if so, how was your experience? Also, if you owned a watch shop, would you want you sales persons when it's slow to tell people to make another appointment and come back? It's SOOOOOO hard to acquire a customer (to get them in your shop), why would you chase them out where there was no reason? I think it's bad business, but want your feedback.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 01:55 PM   #2
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Here are the watches I saw today.
Old 2 April 2021, 02:00 PM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Bob's Watches ... bad policy, horrible experience.

Hard to judge these situations without being there but off the cuff it sounds like poor form. I am guessing they get a lot of tire kickers and they pegged you for one. Doesn’t matter as if you’re in sales that’s the job.

They post here all the time under the owners name Paul Altieri. Maybe reach out.
Old 2 April 2021, 02:00 PM   #4
nightmyth
"TRF" Member

I think they just didn’t want to bring you a ton of watches and then have to individually sanitize them later. If you asked for 7 watches it might have seemed to them you weren’t serious on buying any of them.
116519LN DaytonaC
nightmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 02:01 PM   #5
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Fun post as I have been to Bob’s several times. Yes, they are very structured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 02:06 PM   #6
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
So, policies like these are actually somewhat clever- when there's an obvious tire-kicker, it's easy for the management to lean on said policy to have an excuse to kick them out, full stop. In their place, I'd implement a similar policy.

That said, from the (very) little experience I have in sales/serving others, I know the mark of a top-rate establishment is to exercise a little discretion and yield a little flexibility. An otherwise reasonable, deserving customer shouldn't be made to feel like just another person in a crowd; if your side of the story is an accurate depiction of what occurred, then yeah, it seems like the shop wasted an opportunity to bring in another client.

It's 4:15pm and there's another 45 minutes until closing. I think the sales associated could have managed to point out that they don't really show more than 2 watches an appointment, but she'd be happy to show you an additional two as you weren't aware of the rule. That's called accommodation, and it's an essential part of a luxury brand.
Old 2 April 2021, 02:16 PM   #7
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
You should have stated that you were ready to buy today
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 02:18 PM   #8
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Had they told me up front that while there I would only be able to see two watches, I may have chosen differently. Plus, both of the watches they brought me had problems, so no way I would have bought them.

Plus, right after I left Bob's, I drove a few minutes away to Jewelers On Time (also Newport Beach ... www.jewelersontime.com), only learning of them when meeting one of the key guys at our mutual dentist. Anyway, also my first visit, and the guy I met at the dentist's office was there. He didn't have a lot of inventory, but when I explained to him that I was just trying to see some of the new watches (as you can't try them on at the AD), he went in the back and brought out his personal collection and allowed me to try them on whatever I wanted ... YG Sub 116608LB (beauty and hefty), Daytona black 116500, Sub Date 126600LV, red line Submariner 1680 (they had three of them for sale). He even said, "a lot of these watches are NO way worth the current market value", he said he sells them all the time, but warns that some just aren't worth what the market is currently commanding.

Now that's customer service, and while I wasn't looking for a red line sub, which is all he had for sale, it was still a big impression of customer service and willingness to help. If I want to find a watch, I would be far more willing to go back to see him instead of Bob's. Plus, here I am bragging on them over Bob's, which might result in more sales ... this is how business works. Referrals are the cheapest way to acquire new customers.
Old 2 April 2021, 02:19 PM   #9
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Sounds like they took you for a tire kicker and put an end to it.

Some online watch dealers are like this. Some won't bother with F2F. Others welcome it without any issue.

Plenty of other places to hit up....so many in fact that that I had completely forgotten about Bob's until I read this post..lol
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 02:19 PM   #10
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
You should have stated that you were ready to buy today
And maybe I should have told them I was willing to pay over asking price also? Why? I don't think you should ever tell someone your intent. Retailers should try to earn your business IMO.
Old 2 April 2021, 02:35 PM   #11
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
Honestly, I can empathize with Bob’s and understand their policy.
They are a legit and well-respected business, not a watch museum.
It is not easy to be a business in USA this day and age.
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 02:39 PM   #12
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensai View Post
Honestly, I can empathize with Bob’s and understand their policy.
They are a legit and well-respected business, not a watch museum.
It is not easy to be a business in USA this day and age.
So, by this standard, if someone walks into a Ferrari dealership and want to see three cars, you can understand someone stepping in after the first two cars and saying, "sorry, I know we aren't busy, but we think you are a tire kicker, so as punishment, I am going to retain the power and make you go home and make another appointment before I grant you permission to maybe come back and overpay for one of our cars."
Old 2 April 2021, 02:42 PM   #13
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I guess I don't understand treating anyone ... I mean anyone differently than others. It's not like I am going to steal their watches. They have NO idea whether I'm going to buy three watches of the seven. Of course, they will NEVER know because they will only show anyone two watches ... it's their policy, right? So, if someone walks in and buys those two watches, but wants to buy another, they are going to send them packing. "Sorry, it's policy. We know you purchased both of the two watches you are allocated to view today, but you'll just have to come back tomorrow and the next day for the four other platinum watches you wanted to buy."
Old 2 April 2021, 02:51 PM   #14
nsguy
"TRF" Member

You keep suggesting you would have to make "another appointment", when in fact, you didn't have an appointment to begin with. It was nice of them to accomodate you so close to closing time, not even considering the fact we're in a global pandemic. In addition, Bob's is a primarily online business, and it's possible, perhaps even likely, they aren't fully staffed in their brick & motor location because of the pandemic. Most sales associates are likely working remotely when possible and only coming in when they need to handle merchandise.

Also, there's no reason to believe there's anything wrong with the two watches they showed you. Older Submariners are notorious for requiring extra force to move the bezels, especially when compared to anything newer than 1990. Many people familiar with only modern Rolex are surprised when trying to handle older watches. And the GMT was likely fine as well. Not all Rolexes wind as smoothly as modern ones.

Overall you're trying pretty hard to pull the victim card for who knows what reason, when in reality you showed up to a business with no appointment, an hour before closing, during the largest global pandemic our generation has seen, and asked to see maybe $100,000+ in inventory with no visible intention (as you noted yourself) on buying anything.

This take is almost as bad as that other forum poster complaining about having to wait in line at the Apple store. This may be a good time to reassess what matters in life and focus on actual problems instead of trying to create drama for yourself.
nsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 02:55 PM   #15
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
It's their store and their policy, but I would personally be turned off by this experience.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 02:56 PM   #16
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Overall I think it was lame CS. That said, 100% of these posts on TRF end in flames with OPs typing 160 words per minute putting out dumpster fires.

I would walk away now since you've made your point. In another day there will be so many personal insults and litigious posts they will remove this from TRF altogether
Old 2 April 2021, 03:08 PM   #17
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Today I had some time while in Newport Beach, so decided to stop by Bob's Watch (my first time) to see what they had on offer. As I approached their door around 4pm, I saw a sign saying, they were appointment only, but if there was time, you can enter and be seen. So, I opened the door and spoke to the receptionist who said they had time to serve me. She explained the process, which was for me to sit at one of their desks with one of their iPads and choose watches I'd like to see. Once I had an idea, I was to write down their inventory number and they would bring them to me, but only two at a time, which was understandable.

So, I wrote down the first three watches on a sticky, which she took while I was writing down more watches (seven in total). I left the rest of the stickies there while I waited for the first two watches - the others I was going to look at were the WG Sub 126619, the white Daytona 116500, the Sub Date 126610LV, and Milgauss 1019 from 1968.

A sales rep came out with a 1963 Submariner 5513 (https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-su...tage-5513.html) and 1966 GMT 1675 Pepsi (https://www.bobswatches.com/vintage-...5-pepsi.html); she reminded me that they closed at 5pm. The submariner's bezel would not turn, she said someone would have to look into that. The GMT was on what appeared to be the original rivet bracelet, which was too small to fit on my wrist and the wind seemed to be crisp, but not as smooth as I would like to feel in a Rolex. So, I thanked her and said I would like to see the next two I selected. It was around 4:15pm at that time.

She said, "No, that's not how it works. There are only two watches per appointment, so you will have to make another appointment and come back to see any more watches."

I left, but wasn't happy ... I mean why not show me more watches? So I called the story as I drove away. The same sales rep answered. I was up front with her and told her I wasn't happy about being asked to make another appointment and drive an hour back to see more. They weren't busy, so why not just show me the others. She said it was policy, so I asked to speak to the manager. She said the manager was in a meeting, but she would pass him and note and promised he would call me back before they closed. I asked the name of the manager, she said he was George (I think). I received no call.

My question for everyone ==> have you done business with Bob's and if so, how was your experience? Also, if you owned a watch shop, would you want you sales persons when it's slow to tell people to make another appointment and come back? It's SOOOOOO hard to acquire a customer (to get them in your shop), why would you chase them out where there was no reason? I think it's bad business, but want your feedback.

Haven’t and guess will not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 03:13 PM   #18
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
I’ve bought 3 watches from Bobs. Great experience and great watches and would do so again. (All on line and not at the store). It seems a little lame to show up at 4p during Covid when they, like most, are doing appt only, see some watches and get accommodated, and then bellyache.

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 03:39 PM   #19
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

What does this have to do with a pandemic? They are open for business (their choice), and they want to sell watches. They have a store, which was open by their choice. They had sales associates, which were not busy. They accepted me at the door. I would have been fine had they said I had to have an appointment, but they said come in. They told me two only at a time, not two total.

I have handled a lot of watches, and that sub’s bezel would not budge.

For those defending them, I guess this is how you’d like to be treated. Sorry, not me.

Old 2 April 2021, 03:42 PM   #20
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
I don’t see much wrong doing here bit extreme and unfair to widely name and shame the company if you ask me.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 03:50 PM   #21
RKFdds
"TRF" Member

I’ve sold a watch to them & it was a good experience. BUT(I know I’m in the minority here- I care nothing for ADs or playing games where I pay more for watches) I initially went to see the DJ2s they had in stock in hope of making a nice trade up. Their 3 DJ2s all were $7250+tax(used). Wouldn’t budge on price. So I went to a forum grey dealer and got a brand new DJ2 for $7300 + 0 tax.

Bobs business model makes no sense to me & I do consider them a bit of a museum since they will walk from any deal-making. Whatever

RKFdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 03:51 PM   #22
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I thought OP got scammed or something but here its about not letting see more than 2 watches without appointment. If that's their store policy then you can't come online and write it as horrible experience blaming the company without valid reason! Moreover they are at first online store and not AD to walk any day.

Just not done IMO, sorry OP!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 03:54 PM   #23
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Sounds like a experience to me.

Bob’s seems like they’re catering to the hype watch buyers. Focused on social media, Instagram, the young and rich look at me crowd. No time for a WIS, too much talking and too knowledgeable.

I would love to check out the Revolution watch bar if I was in Singapore. That seems like a place to hang out, check out a bunch of watches, and talk shop.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 04:09 PM   #24
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Looks like it’s your decision......

Deal with them ever again or not?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 04:20 PM   #25
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

lol
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 04:54 PM   #26
BobMartian
Banned

Who goes to these grey dealers to only see 2 watches?
BobMartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 04:56 PM   #27
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
Not a great experience but I’ve never looked at seven watches in one sitting my whole life.
Old 2 April 2021, 05:14 PM   #28
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
As above, they judged you as a time waster, and didn’t want to show you more than 2 watches. Perhaps they felt 7 was excessive without verbal commitment that you’d be choosing from these 7 today (and in some ways I’d agree). That’s also 7 watches to multi-handle, take in and out of display, sanitise etc. In these COVID times, 2 per appointment is perfectly generous and cuts risk of spreading the virus.

Here these types of stores are closed, so you’d have had to actually purchase one to see it (with a returns policy), or do “click and collect”

I must add, even in non COVID times, I wouldn’t go into a watch dealer and want to view 7 watches in person. I’d have that number narrowed down, or if it HAD to be as much as 7, I’d explain that by showing me that 7, I’d definitely be buying today.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 05:32 PM   #29
Mrngrz46
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Bro, they just consider you the average Joe Tire kicker coming in.
Mrngrz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 05:42 PM   #30
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
What does this have to do with a pandemic? They are open for business (their choice), and they want to sell watches. They have a store, which was open by their choice. They had sales associates, which were not busy. They accepted me at the door. I would have been fine had they said I had to have an appointment, but they said come in. They told me two only at a time, not two total.

I have handled a lot of watches, and that sub’s bezel would not budge.

For those defending them, I guess this is how you’d like to be treated. Sorry, not me.

The pandemic is pretty important as whilst the store was open, clearly they’ll have had to implement new working practices to stay COVID secure. At least I’d expect to have had too!

From a customer service standpoint, if they advised you of their 2 watch limit upfront then all would have been good here.

As above, all we can do in the UK is click and collect which is how I purchased my new DJ36.

ikincooper is online now   Reply With Quote