The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 26 August 2023, 11:26 AM   #1
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
The official name is Association Football
Old 26 August 2023, 04:17 PM   #2
Lol-x
Facilitator

The game does not own nor did it invent the noun 'football'.

Football is a generic name which applies to numerous codes of games played with a ball. Soccer on the other hand applies to a specific sport which is internationally recognised.

Don't just use your head use your brains.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Old 26 August 2023, 04:41 PM   #3
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
The game does not own nor did it invent the noun 'football'.

Football is a generic name which applies to numerous codes of games played with a ball. Soccer on the other hand applies to a specific sport which is internationally recognised.

Don't just use your head use your brains.

Definitely trolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 August 2023, 07:37 PM   #4
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1982 View Post
Definitely trolling.
Indeed. But unfortunately he could not be sent where trolls should live (the ignore list).
Old 26 August 2023, 10:55 PM   #5
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Definitely trolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
Indeed. But unfortunately he could not be sent where trolls should live (the ignore list).
Calling the boss a troll isn’t anything I’d recommend. You both earned yourselves a set of infraction points good for 6 months. Next time I won’t be so nice.
Old 27 August 2023, 12:16 AM   #6
Ollie1982
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Calling the boss a troll isn’t anything I’d recommend. You both earned yourselves a set of infraction points good for 6 months. Next time I won’t be so nice.

Seems fair.

Old 27 August 2023, 12:33 AM   #7
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
There won't be a "next time". If a person trolls I'm calling them a troll, regardless of their status. I'm loggin' out for good this time, please delete my account.
Old 26 August 2023, 04:56 PM   #8
Lol-x
Facilitator

Not trolling, its the truth so don't you lie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_(word)

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Old 26 August 2023, 05:30 PM   #9
Ollie1982
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Not trolling, its the truth so don't you lie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_(word)

I am a qualified coach, with the national association of the country that invented the sport. It’s called the FA, or The Football Association to use its full name.

As the other comment, it’s original name when invented in the 1800s was association football.

Americans call football soccer, so they can differentiate it between their version of football. That’s fine and as I said previously, Americans can name their sports whatever they like.

But football, in the place where it was invented is known and always will be football.

Old 26 August 2023, 09:54 PM   #10
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I am a qualified coach, with the national association of the country that invented the sport. It’s called the FA, or The Football Association to use its full name.

As the other comment, it’s original name when invented in the 1800s was association football.

Americans call football soccer, so they can differentiate it between their version of football. That’s fine and as I said previously, Americans can name their sports whatever they like.

But football, in the place where it was invented is known and always will be football.

Hi Ollie,

Just curious about something. As you say Americans can call their sports whatever they like (and we do!) but with Americans owning half of the Premier League is there any concern for who the caretakers of the game are? Some also own other "football" entities (as in NFL) or are major league baseball owners. Does the public in England care that the EPL may be of lesser concern among their sports holdings?
Old 27 August 2023, 12:30 AM   #11
Ollie1982
Banned

European football (soccer) fans ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
Hi Ollie,

Just curious about something. As you say Americans can call their sports whatever they like (and we do!) but with Americans owning half of the Premier League is there any concern for who the caretakers of the game are? Some also own other "football" entities (as in NFL) or are major league baseball owners. Does the public in England care that the EPL may be of lesser concern among their sports holdings?
Honestly, I think people in the UK are past caring about the owners of clubs. American money has been in football for some time now and as long as the owners are in it to improve and invest in the club, not bleed them dry like the Glazers have at Man Utd, I see it as a positive.
Old 27 August 2023, 02:01 AM   #12
RichardBartlett
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Honestly, I think people in the UK are past caring about the owners of clubs. American money has been in football for some time now and as long as the owners are in it to improve and invest in the club, not bleed them dry like the Glazers have at Man Utd, I see it as a positive.
I have a strong hunch that once the Americans get the majority of club ownership they will start to push forward 'improvements' such as 1/4's not halves to increase ad breaks etc. (under the guise of player welfare concerns)

Sadly American audience's have allowed pretty much every sport they watch to be decimated by greed from TV, players and owners.

They are currently busy with F1 making it from a sport to a 'show' and football will be in their + hairs as they always always want their pound of flesh..

Beware of yanks bearing gifts
Old 26 August 2023, 05:46 PM   #13
Ollie1982
Banned

While we’re throwing websites around, rather than a link from a website that any Tom, Dick or Harry can contribute to, below is website address from FIFA, the governing body for the game throughout the world:

FIFA.com

Worth noting, the organisations full name is - The Fédération Internationale de football association or in English, International Association Football Federation.

More locally to me, information regarding the English FA, or English Football Association can be found below.

thefa.com

Note, no mention of soccer in the name of either the world governing body, or the association that runs the game in the country where it was invented.
Old 26 August 2023, 09:09 PM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Back to this Messi fellow … who is he again?
Old 27 August 2023, 06:11 AM   #15
austinp
"TRF" Member

I went to an MLS game in Orlando and had a great time. Fun atmosphere and a lot of rabid fans. Maybe it will finally catch on for real.

Old 28 August 2023, 10:08 PM   #16
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
I went to an MLS game in Orlando and had a great time. Fun atmosphere and a lot of rabid fans. Maybe it will finally catch on for real.

I wish. Unfortunately there’s too much competition with other sports for our best athletes and money is a huge issue as well.

Old 28 August 2023, 12:18 PM   #17
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

it's interesting to me how some purists take an aggressive offense towards the name "soccer" as if it can only be uttered by the ignorant. According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, the term arose in the 1880s on the Oxford campus, where they colloquially referred to rugby football as "rugger" and association football as "asoccer." Thus, the people who invented the game (and therefore hold the sole right to determine what to call it) are in fact responsible for for the informal name "soccer," and is not an invention of some fool lacking original jurisdiction over its name.
Old 28 August 2023, 11:17 PM   #18
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post

I’m with you. Grew up playing when I was younger as many do, and I believe here in Nashville we may have a disproportionate amount of youth involved compared to many places nationally. My son is in on it all now as well.

That being said I realize we have a ways to catch up to the European leagues, MLS is very young comparison, but I do thoroughly enjoy MLS games and going to them. I follow Nashville SC here locally and love attending as well when we can. I think competition from so many Major league sports in the US slows the growth slightly.

There definitely seems to be a lot more energy and excitement towards the sport than in the past. I think it will continue to trend stronger and stronger as more Americans backgrounds and family history are tied to it and will have grown up with it. As many have said though I hope the monetizing of it doesn’t begin to ruin it.

I’m hoping it holds out.

As to the thread itself, I think it’s hard to relate to teams that aren’t semi local or players in particular. I’m not in Europe of course, but doubt most would care about MLS all of the sudden. There does however seem to be an uptick in Argentinians interested which is understandable. Conversely I tend to flip in Premier league matches on occasion in the mornings in the weekends as I go about whatever I’m doing, but don’t really follow anyone, just a few players here and there I like.

Side note, what a really bizzare mix of replies on this thread.
Old 29 August 2023, 10:16 AM   #19
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

if you look at the arc of the MLS I think it is a poor bet to dismiss it as a 3rd rate league. When it was first formed in 1996 it lacked stable ownership, at one point a large portion of the league was either owned by the league (no owner at all) or was owned by Phil Anschutz, who stepped in to keep several franchises afloat. They played in football stadiums (American football) that were not FIFA compliant. But those days are over.

The league has successfully expanded from 10 to 29 franchises and its ownership groups include 6 NFL owners, 4 NBA/NHL/MLB owners and 6 others who also own European clubs (including 4 EPL clubs). This league has vast ownership resources.

20 of the franchises have succeeded in building soccer-specific stadiums, most of which are owned by the clubs which means that they get to keep all stadium revenue, from parking fees to hot dog sales. Because of this, the league now has revenue of $1.5 billion making it the 10th largest professional sports league in the world. While certainly a financial gap remains with the top European leagues, regarding MLS as a joke does not acknowledge the situation on the ground. They have built this league brick by brick and are situated well for future growth in the game in America.
Old 29 August 2023, 10:31 AM   #20
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Very interesting stats Rick. I hadn’t realized the extent of it quite by the numbers. I appreciate you sharing.
Old 9 May 2024, 06:46 AM   #21
Kam1992
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1972 Oyster Prepet
Similarly, in terms of international attention, the upcoming match between Chile W vs Jamaica W in women's soccer is also generating buzz. It's another example of how individual games can spotlight lesser-followed leagues and teams.
Old 9 May 2024, 07:06 AM   #22
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nicknames �
One word, NO !

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Old 9 May 2024, 11:26 AM   #23
chro.nic
"TRF" Member

The best way to put this soccer/football debate to bed is to do what Toronto has done.
We have a "football club" (Toronto F.C.) that plays in a "soccer league" (MLS)!!
Best of both worlds.

.nic
Old 9 May 2024, 11:28 AM   #24
77T

Another word!

Rugby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 9 May 2024, 06:57 PM   #25
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I am an American fan of world football. I am a fan of Liverpool FC. I watch the Premier League games often. I’ve watched the World Cup since 1982. I am attending Inter Miami vs. DC United in a little more than a week.
Old 9 May 2024, 08:26 PM   #26
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

'American Football' is an Oxymoron and a Misnomer all rolled into one.

Basket ball is just netball, without the skirts.

Baseball, 'World Series' is an international joke.

The U.S.A have never won 'The World Cup'.

Old 9 May 2024, 08:36 PM   #27
jimsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post

American football, basketball, and baseball all have rich histories and passionate fan bases, even if they're not everyone's cup of tea.
Old 9 May 2024, 10:09 PM   #28
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post

I don’t think Americans know just how much the rest of the world laughs at them when they call MLB baseball finals, “Thr World Series”. LOL 😂 exactly who participated in that “World Series”. Dumb
Old 9 May 2024, 10:40 PM   #29
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
I don’t think Americans know just how much the rest of the world laughs at them when they call MLB baseball finals, “Thr World Series”. LOL 😂 exactly who participated in that “World Series”. Dumb
The World Series was named such in 1903. The US and Canada had the only pro leagues at that time. Toronto won the World Series in the early 90’s.

There are other pro baseball leagues in other countries today. But all the best players are in the US playing for MLB. Do you think pro teams from other countries would be competitive in a championship series with MLB? Would people watch that on TV? Is there money to be made there? Or, is the current World Series really the only one that matters?
Old 10 May 2024, 12:28 AM   #30
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
The World Series was named such in 1903. The US and Canada had the only pro leagues at that time. Toronto won the World Series in the early 90’s.

There are other pro baseball leagues in other countries today. But all the best players are in the US playing for MLB. Do you think pro teams from other countries would be competitive in a championship series with MLB? Would people watch that on TV? Is there money to be made there? Or, is the current World Series really the only one that matters?
So then it should be MLB champions not World Series or World Champion. It’s no different than club teams in Europe or Asia or Africa or the Middle East. Baseball and soccer/football and basketball are played on a global basis but the winner in The Premier League in the UK doesn’t have the arrogance to call themselves World Champions. There’s a reason why the FIFA World Cup is such a great tournament. Baseball has the World Baseball Classic that should be considered a true world championship.

The NBA is another league with great players because of the salaries but it’s a club event, not a global competition. And yes, the US has lost a true world championship in basketball to other countries and the amount of foreign born players at the highest level continue to grow.

Baseball and basketball are truly missing an opportunity to not have something similar to the FIFA World Cup.
Closed Thread