The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 11 February 2016, 01:27 PM   #61
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
I have a 1969 speedmaster Mk II and it's quite big. The Seanaster "big blue" is quite large (and thick) Omega was not the only one.

New sub owners: are the ceramic bezel subs 40mm? The ones I tried on were larger, 42 as I understand. The latest seadweller is 40mm and something I'd actually wear. Am I imagining things?
Yeah Jim, they have always been 40mm. Subs, SDs and GMTs are 40mm (many others as well).
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2016, 11:11 PM   #62
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofsteelpt View Post
Breitling has some nice pieces that I'd be happy to wear, and some I wouldn't wear... Same goes for my beloved AP line, but to shut Breitling out as a whole brand is ridiculous.
This
ragingcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2016, 10:22 PM   #63
errol0_7
"TRF" Member

Watch: them come and go
I LOVE lots of Breitling models and have owned many - One of my first memories of a AD window was being drawn to a Breitling AD Display in Spain - I could not take my eyes off the Blackbirds and Chronomats they looked awesome, I would stroll past it every day just to look at them.

I have owned and flipped several since BUT now I know more about this "hobby" and being a flipper prefer my Rolex watches. Rolex are iconic, faithful to its history - I hate AR coating so love Rolex for not using it. Size weight and feel of the Rolex is just spot on so . . .

I think very carefully before pulling the trigger on a Breitling now.
YM 40 126622 Rhodium
IWC Portugieser Automatic 40.4mm - Pink dial
errol0_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2016, 04:35 AM   #64
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
To me, watches are no different than cars, women, wine, beer, towns to live in and on and on and on.
There is a variety to choose from because tastes vary.
Ultimately, should only matter to you and frankly, who cares what anyone else thinks?
As I posted before, I love m Navi 01 for different reasons than I love my TT Bluesey for different reasons than my DateJust and so on.
There are watches posted on TRF I would never likely entertain, yet others find them appealing. Our tastes just vary, that's all.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2016, 06:20 AM   #65
007M86T007
"TRF" Member

Icon20

Today is day 1 for me on this forum,i am looking to purchase my first really nice watch.The Navitimer is a Beautiful watch,but does it have any inherent problems that i should be on the look out for.
007M86T007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2016, 06:32 AM   #66
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I own this Navitimer Olympus which is at least 10 years old. I wear it in rotation with my other watches (only 4 of which are Rolexes). It keeps great time (well within COSC specs). And it is super reliable.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2016, 07:48 AM   #67
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: yo self!
I'm a fan of the previous incarnations (prior to the cartoony bezels). I have a Navi, a Cockpit, and a SuperOcean Heritage. And while the SOH is probably the largest in my collection it doesn't look like a hubcap on my wrist.
Breitling: And some of these.
TattooedGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2016, 12:38 AM   #68
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I think it is insane people gush over the 2824 top movements in tudors but disparage the chronometer grade in house modified eta movements. Breitling uses a higher spec of eta movements than tudor. They use better eta movements than anyone it could be argued since they do modify them to perform better or for different functions.

Even the hercules that was brought up earlier in the thread as a reason to not like breitling. That has a sick 5 piece integrated bracelet and a unique totalizer that gives the hours and elapsed minutes in one compax.

Are they rolex, no they are the anti rolex new models new names. Its like what would happen if everyone of the "i think rolex should do" thread happened on here. They also dont test each individual watch. I think a chronomat is easier to read than a daytona because it is bigger. The bigger size means bigger compax bigger indicies, bigger brighter lume there is a tactical reason for the big watch in timed missions.

To the point that breitling isnt the same company... When the company switched hands. The old owners picked out the new owner. People like zenith. Well zenith was bought by zenith electronics who told them they werent making anymore automatics. They had to hide the machines. Thats a different company. Breitling is run by a hand picked successor.

Finally there are breitling tourbys that are beautiful and run a couple hundred thousand. Anyone who says blanket i wouldnt buy a breitling over xxx yyy likely doesnt know their full range.

On top of all that breitling top time was also a bond watch, before that honor was a paid advert.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2016, 12:41 AM   #69
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007M86T007 View Post
Today is day 1 for me on this forum,i am looking to purchase my first really nice watch.The Navitimer is a Beautiful watch,but does it have any inherent problems that i should be on the look out for.
It isnt water proof.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2016, 02:22 PM   #70
drfaulkner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Expl II, TT DJII
Not all Breitlings are blingy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Breitling TO Date 1.jpg (90.4 KB, 186 views)
drfaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2016, 02:35 PM   #71
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
anybody think a lot of watch people don't even consider Breitling?

Not sure about others here but I don't consider Breitling. Not sure exactly why but the brand never appealed to me.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2016, 11:07 PM   #72
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
There is a reason the resale on a Rolex is what it is and the same for Breitling. No modern watch with an ETA or Valjoux movement is worth what Breitling charges.
X100...!!!
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2016, 11:15 PM   #73
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
I've owned a superocean 1500 meter for about a year .
Can't say I didn't like it , but it didn't keep
time and it was all polished ... At every corner I
was afraid of scratching it ... After, I thought I should've
just gotten a sub... So yes I've owned both and Rolex is
Superior iIMHO...
I flipped it for a bluesy ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 02:02 PM   #74
WristEnvy
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @watch.kakashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone View Post
Not all Breitlings have a polished look. I have a Navitimer Fighters which is all brushed

that looks awesome!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
WristEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 07:09 PM   #75
robby_jai
"TRF" Member

why the hate for Brietlings. I dont mind them at all i have a whole bunch of rolex, pateks, vacherons and breguets and sure the brietlings arent as well made as those other brands...

but if you buy right they are lovely watches... personally i think its just people being elitist and snobs because it doesnt have the brand cachet of a rolex, patek etc etc. bit shallow if you ask me

i have a brietling super avenger blackbird 48mm and i love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-03-09 20.03.06-1.jpg (55.0 KB, 154 views)
robby_jai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2016, 03:12 AM   #76
DalePenkala
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT
Well I'm probably going to get laughed right out of this thread, but I would and am going to buy a Breitling avenger here shortly. I am a fan of oversized watches and that said I do have a couple of Invictas. Yes I know it's a dirty word here but when you think oversized I think Invicta. I only buy there reserve line. Anyway I have my Zenith El Premio, Rolex GMT, Oris Omega and love them!

I can't wait to get my avenger. So to the original question I think it's a matter of personal taste. If your looking to buy something that will hold its value longer for resale I agree with the comments about Rolex holding a higher resale value, but for me I just enjoy collecting them no matter what the brand is. It has to speak to me before I buy it. Breitling always has spoke to me and probably always will.

Ok let the laughing begin!
Invicta Bolt Zeus, Invicta JT Limited Edition Excursion
DalePenkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2016, 03:20 AM   #77
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Yes!

16803. 214270. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2016, 03:26 AM   #78
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Double post. Sorry!

16803. 214270. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2016, 03:28 AM   #79
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
There is a reason the resale on a Rolex is what it is and the same for Breitling. No modern watch with an ETA or Valjoux movement is worth what Breitling charges.

This !
Old 10 March 2016, 04:18 AM   #80
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DalePenkala View Post
Well I'm probably going to get laughed right out of this thread, but I would and am going to buy a Breitling avenger here shortly. I am a fan of oversized watches and that said I do have a couple of Invictas. Yes I know it's a dirty word here but when you think oversized I think Invicta. I only buy there reserve line. Anyway I have my Zenith El Premio, Rolex GMT, Oris Omega and love them!

I can't wait to get my avenger. So to the original question I think it's a matter of personal taste. If your looking to buy something that will hold its value longer for resale I agree with the comments about Rolex holding a higher resale value, but for me I just enjoy collecting them no matter what the brand is. It has to speak to me before I buy it. Breitling always has spoke to me and probably always will.

Ok let the laughing begin!
No laughing from me! This is the way it's supposed to work!
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2016, 10:49 PM   #81
DalePenkala
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
No laughing from me! This is the way it's supposed to work!
Thank Jim!
Old 10 March 2016, 11:04 PM   #82
DalePenkala
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby_jai View Post
why the hate for Brietlings. I dont mind them at all i have a whole bunch of rolex, pateks, vacherons and breguets and sure the brietlings arent as well made as those other brands...

but if you buy right they are lovely watches... personally i think its just people being elitist and snobs because it doesnt have the brand cachet of a rolex, patek etc etc. bit shallow if you ask me

i have a brietling super avenger blackbird 48mm and i love it.

Agreed! Nice watch by the way!
Old 10 March 2016, 11:18 PM   #83
DalePenkala
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
I think it is insane people gush over the 2824 top movements in tudors but disparage the chronometer grade in house modified eta movements. Breitling uses a higher spec of eta movements than tudor. They use better eta movements than anyone it could be argued since they do modify them to perform better or for different functions.

Even the hercules that was brought up earlier in the thread as a reason to not like breitling. That has a sick 5 piece integrated bracelet and a unique totalizer that gives the hours and elapsed minutes in one compax.

Are they rolex, no they are the anti rolex new models new names. Its like what would happen if everyone of the "i think rolex should do" thread happened on here. They also dont test each individual watch. I think a chronomat is easier to read than a daytona because it is bigger. The bigger size means bigger compax bigger indicies, bigger brighter lume there is a tactical reason for the big watch in timed missions.

To the point that breitling isnt the same company... When the company switched hands. The old owners picked out the new owner. People like zenith. Well zenith was bought by zenith electronics who told them they werent making anymore automatics. They had to hide the machines. Thats a different company. Breitling is run by a hand picked successor.

Finally there are breitling tourbys that are beautiful and run a couple hundred thousand. Anyone who says blanket i wouldnt buy a breitling over xxx yyy likely doesnt know their full range.

On top of all that breitling top time was also a bond watch, before that honor was a paid advert.

All good points!
Old 11 March 2016, 12:59 AM   #84
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I am a huge Rolex passionate but prefer the Navitimer 01 over a Daytona.
Great watch with enormous history and now in-house movement
Old 11 March 2016, 02:26 AM   #85
Dickie Watty
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
I think Breitling makes a great watch, I have owned a few and they are all very well made. They do not seem to hold their value on the used market as well as an Omega or Rolex of course.
I have an Aerospace EVO and love it but it doesn't get as much wrist time as some of my others so I am selling it. However every day it doesn't sell I get closer to just keeping it because it is very nice and the Ana-digital superquartz is unique, extremely accurate and screams "I am a purpose built tool watch" which I like.
Old 11 March 2016, 02:35 AM   #86
brookish
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deep Blue
I find the dials too busy, not my cup of tea...

Current collection: Rolex Sea-Dweller, Rolex Deepsea D-blue, Rolex 116613LB, Rolex Explorer II (black), Omega Speedmaster SS, IWC Ingenieur Chrono, Panerai PAM127, Panerai PAM328, Panerai PAM629, Panerai PAM217, Panerai PAM339, Panerai PAM341, Panerai PAM605, Panerai PAM376
brookish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2016, 11:06 AM   #87
nokia
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613,
Had a couple rolexes so far in my couple years of watch collecting. Regret selling them every day. Will buy many more. rolex>breitling..

I also had my bentley for years and it just came back from an overhaul looking new again so i cant say i hate breitling :P

nokia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 02:06 AM   #88
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
just happen to pop my head in this forum for the first time. I never seriously considered breitling. Not that I hate them but never cared for any of them.

Only watch that briefly crossed through my radar was a seawolf. The price point is good, it's attractive on leather or rubber and it seems to be a tough watch, good for EDC.

Otherwise, no, just not into these things.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 10:57 AM   #89
FritzW
Banned

Watch: BLNR
Ive had a Colt Auto Chronograph since November. It was time for me to upgrade to a more "luxury" watch (had a Tossot chrono for 12 years) and I though this would be my last or for quite sometime. Since, It has been in for service for running -9/day. I have it back now and is running +7.5 and gaining more per day. It also a thicker and heavier watch than I want. Its always falling to the outside of my wrist and hitting tables or desks. It's hard to realize that by trying it on at the AD.

When I sent it in for servicing in January, I picked up a GMT BLNR. Its in for service now to replace the Cyclops and cant wait to get it back. I honestly cant see me wearing Breitling once i get mt Rolex back. That GMT is just too comfortable...and good looking.....and accurate.

With all that being said, I really wanted to like Breitling. They have some very nice looking watches, but they are just to big and heavy for me. And a far as accuracy, at least in my case, they much to be desired. My BLNR ran no more than +1.5/day.
FritzW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 01:58 PM   #90
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzW View Post
Ive had a Colt Auto Chronograph since November. It was time for me to upgrade to a more "luxury" watch (had a Tossot chrono for 12 years) and I though this would be my last or for quite sometime. Since, It has been in for service for running -9/day. I have it back now and is running +7.5 and gaining more per day. It also a thicker and heavier watch than I want. Its always falling to the outside of my wrist and hitting tables or desks. It's hard to realize that by trying it on at the AD.

When I sent it in for servicing in January, I picked up a GMT BLNR. Its in for service now to replace the Cyclops and cant wait to get it back. I honestly cant see me wearing Breitling once i get mt Rolex back. That GMT is just too comfortable...and good looking.....and accurate.

With all that being said, I really wanted to like Breitling. They have some very nice looking watches, but they are just to big and heavy for me. And a far as accuracy, at least in my case, they much to be desired. My BLNR ran no more than +1.5/day.

To each his own but you'll find quite a few on these forums with "accuracy" problems with many a Rolex. Also sounds like your Colt wasn't sized properly. Good luck with you GMT
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote