The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 April 2024, 08:04 PM   #1
DateJust74
"TRF" Member

Crown is odd after dropping my Explorer

So, I’ve dropped my Explorer seemingly crown first into a tile floor. It is running well and it’s making no weird sounds, but the crown is not setting to the same position when screwing down. Looking at the crown tube it looks normal. Could the tube itself been pressed down the case? Could the water resistance be compromised? How screwed am I?
DateJust74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 08:35 PM   #2
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The tube is threaded into the midcase with enough torque and thread locker that it doesn't move by dropping the watch onto the floor.

But the crown itself can transmit a force through the stem if it is deformed by the impact with the floor.

Also, jewels can be cracked in the movement.

The water resistance wouldn't be my first concern - that's because you should hack the movement as a precaution until you can get it to a watchmaker for an inspection and timegrapher reading to see if the movement has been affected.

Then a pressure test after it's closed back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 08:39 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DateJust74 View Post
So, I’ve dropped my Explorer seemingly crown first into a tile floor. It is running well and it’s making no weird sounds, but the crown is not setting to the same position when screwing down. Looking at the crown tube it looks normal. Could the tube itself been pressed down the case? Could the water resistance be compromised? How screwed am I?
As long as it screws down just finger tight make no difference position of the crown, the main seals are inside the case, the seal in the crown head is purely secondary. The way the tube is fitted in the case its extremely unlikely to move by a tap on the crown, and as the years of wearing crown position will change as crown seal gently wears down.As long as your watch is keeping time nothing to worry about Rolex watches are made to stand a lot more than a small drop on the floor.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 12:23 AM   #4
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
If something seems different, get it checked out.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 12:38 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I don’t suppose you have a before and after picture?

Are you just referring to the logo on the crown being in a different position or is the crown itself slightly off kilter?
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 02:46 AM   #6
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
send it to rsc
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 04:16 AM   #7
DateJust74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
The tube is threaded into the midcase with enough torque and thread locker that it doesn't move by dropping the watch onto the floor.

But the crown itself can transmit a force through the stem if it is deformed by the impact with the floor.

Also, jewels can be cracked in the movement.

The water resistance wouldn't be my first concern - that's because you should hack the movement as a precaution until you can get it to a watchmaker for an inspection and timegrapher reading to see if the movement has been affected.

Then a pressure test after it's closed back up.

What would be the symptoms of cracked jewels?
Old 23 April 2024, 04:19 AM   #8
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
If it was my watch and continued to keep good time and run correctly, I would not take any action. If on the other hand, you are haunted by doubts concerning this, just send it in for service.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 05:34 AM   #9
DateJust74
"TRF" Member

It seems to be running a bit slow. Before the drop it gained like +3 secs/day. Now it’s losing a few seconds. What can be wrong for it to display this behaviour, as it has a free spring balance?
Old 23 April 2024, 07:11 AM   #10
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Crown is odd after dropping my Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DateJust74 View Post
What would be the symptoms of cracked jewels?

In general, accuracy (as you've noted).

For some cracked jewels, the wheels won’t run truly upright resulting in uneven drive in the gear train.

Depending on which jewel, unstable rates would appear in some positions more than others. Movement might run OK when dial-up and dial-down but show unstable rates in some other positions. The differences in friction causes timing positional problems.

Worst case, the jewel ejects a tiny shard at the moment of impact and it eventually works its way into a gear and causes other damage.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 08:38 AM   #11
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
If in doubt get it checked out
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2024, 01:41 PM   #12
DateJust74
"TRF" Member

Well, I’m currently in Mexico. And I’ll be for a long time. Went to an independent watchmaker, who had good reviews. He placed it in the timegrapher and although it indicated a somewhat high beat error, and the change in timekeeping, it didn’t indicate any further damage, but yet still I decided to have the watch serviced. Now I’m paranoid (as I am with any new watchmaker) that he might swap something, like the white gold hands or the dial, for fakes, to sell the parts, specially since the service was way cheaper than I am used to pay. Any Mexicans here I can talk to and see if they know the watchmaker or anyone who can tell me anything I can look for to see if he takes anything? I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but I’m a paranoid person. He was really professional though, is someone with years of experience, and took note of the serial number and all that normally a good watchmaker takes note of.