The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 30 July 2008, 04:48 AM   #1
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
But the exception never proves the rule. Watches, like wine, make poor investmemts across the spectrum. No question there are examples where they have done quite well, but in addition to being rare, they are illiquid as hell.

I think this whole "investment" thing comes from some deep guilt where some feel compelled to rationalize wanting/buying something nice. Need a reason? Use mine -- because I just want it!
Old 30 July 2008, 05:05 AM   #2
mborkow
"TRF" Member

Watch: gmt2c pam372
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
I think this whole "investment" thing comes from some deep guilt where some feel compelled to rationalize wanting/buying something nice
+1 but (unlike cars) watches aren't a bad place to put your hard earned $...go buy a brand new Porsche, drive it around the block and try selling it!
Old 30 July 2008, 05:09 AM   #3
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborkow View Post
+1 but (unlike cars) watches aren't a bad place to put your hard earned $...go buy a brand new Porsche, drive it around the block and try selling it!
Concur, but don't be too misled. Most people would buy new from a GM than used from a private party at the same price. So the minute I walked out with a $25,550 18kt Sub it instantly was worth no more than $19K- something AF sells them for all the time.

My good example: Lange One Moonphase 4 years ago. $17 or so as I recall, $32,000 now and $25k+ on the GM. Surely recoup my money after 4 years of enjoyment.
Old 30 July 2008, 05:12 AM   #4
mborkow
"TRF" Member

Watch: gmt2c pam372
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Concur, but don't be too misled. Most people would buy new from a GM than used from a private party at the same price. So the minute I walked out with a $25,550 18kt Sub it instantly was worth no more than $19K- something AF sells them for all the time.

My good example: Lange One Moonphase 4 years ago. $17 or so as I recall, $32,000 now and $25k+ on the GM. Surely recoup my money after 4 years of enjoyment.
True, but as the prices for new watches go up so seems to go the used market (look what used SDs are going for right now with their recent price increase). With cars the price of the car will not start to escalate for 20-25 years (if you are lucky).
Old 30 July 2008, 05:17 AM   #5
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborkow View Post
True, but as the prices for new watches go up so seems to go the used market (look what used SDs are going for right now with their recent price increase). With cars the price of the car will not start to escalate for 20-25 years (if you are lucky).
Again, I have to agree.

So we can DEFINITELY say watches SUCK LESS than cars as investments.
Old 30 July 2008, 06:44 AM   #6
Kevinm

Your right go buy a brand new Porsche drive it around the block and then try and resell it.
Go do the same with a Ferrari, Bentley, Aston Martin, samething. But hold onto that Porsche for 20 years and you can get a good return for something old. and hopefully had a great time with. Buy that Porsche used and hold on to it, and you may see yourself making money on the vehicle.
Problem is you cannot think short term! Remember the success of those day traders!
Closed Thread