The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 17 May 2010, 12:40 PM   #1
flames

Watch: coming soon
hi. totally newbie question. re: orange face

hi. i am going to be totally honest here, i know next to nothing about watches. i do however enjoy the idea of having a very fine watch or two that might be enjoyed by myself the rest of my days and then perhaps passed on to my kids and so on.

anyway, i am really into the color orange and along the way i have seen a watch or two with an orange face like the one in the photo i am posting. i have a question about these. i have seen several oysterdate and oysterdate perpetuals with these colorful faces in this and other colors. a few have been alluded to as having been refurbished and (perhaps?) repainted.

my question is: does this redo-ing of the face diminish the value of the watch at all? does it open up the door for a counterfeit to be passed off as real? in my ebay searches i have always been so leery about the watch i am looking at being authentic. i would certainly post the link here before bidding if i had any question about the watch.

assuming the watch in the photo is a production model and i'd be able to find it, what would you consider to be a fair market value for this watch?

thank you in advance for your time and shared knowledge. cheers.

flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2010, 05:22 PM   #2
sirjohnbrian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 'chu lookin' at???
I am very wary of answering a question like this because I am not certain if the person asking is truly looking for information or a scammer testing how "good" their product is.

The price of a Rolex is more than the sum of its parts. Change any one thing to a non-factory part, the remaining watch is worth exactly the remaining parts, which is sometimes nothing.

That being said, the pictured watch has a non-factory dial. How do I know? A simple Google search and hanging around this forum.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." Homer Simpson

SS Midsize DJ 68274 "L"
TT Jubilee DJ 116233 "Z"
Sea Dweller DS 116660 "V"
SS White Dial Daytona "V"
sirjohnbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2010, 05:43 PM   #3
Puffy
"TRF" Member

A company that sells orange dialed watches is wannabuyawatch.com... try look on their website
Old 17 May 2010, 07:18 PM   #4
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Watch: 116520/660/710/334
Welcome , People can do what they want with their Rolex . Now , bare in mind that Rolex RSC will not honor warranty and may even refuse to service an "altered" Rolex . In most cases modifying a Rolex will result in a decrease of it's resale value .
BASSETHOUNDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2010, 10:19 PM   #5
flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjohnbrian View Post
I am very wary of answering a question like this because I am not certain if the person asking is truly looking for information or a scammer testing how "good" their product is.

The price of a Rolex is more than the sum of its parts. Change any one thing to a non-factory part, the remaining watch is worth exactly the remaining parts, which is sometimes nothing.

That being said, the pictured watch has a non-factory dial. How do I know? A simple Google search and hanging around this forum.
ok, well i assure you that this isn't my product. if you do a google image search for 'orange face rolex' this will be one of the top results and it takes you to another watch forum where people talk about what their daily wear watch is. so i saw this watch and couldn't find any info about it which led me here.

i do thank you for all of your time though, i was wondering if it originally came like this (which it sounds like it did not). but my main concern was if the face was changed to the orange one does that hurt the value of the watch and open it to easier counterfeiting. it sounds like that might be the case, at least on the value so thank you for the answer.

perhaps my ignorance with the products is just shining through but i really like that watch. however, it doesn't sound like i'd be able to find one too easily. thanks again.
Old 17 May 2010, 10:24 PM   #6
flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
A company that sells orange dialed watches is wannabuyawatch.com... try look on their website
thanks. i suppose if i do decide to go that route that site seems more likely to sell me the genuine article than risking it on ebay.