The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 January 2017, 09:55 AM   #31
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarone View Post
I've been on many forums with good and bad content however getting called out and replying with apology and no reply or acknowledgment from moderators upsets me even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your apology and its accompanying comments didn't require a reply.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 11:17 AM   #32
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRolexKingofLV View Post
Can't we just act like gentleman, and before we post...think as to whom this thread may offend!
A civil and thoughtful request.

Count me in
Old 8 January 2017, 11:35 AM   #33
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I am aware of certain incidents, but I am unaware of a trend.

I certainly don't think that we have a hostile environment here for anyone.

The "Jokes & Cartoons" section carries this warning.
Warning May Contain Adult Material Over 18s Only,posting rules.

Warning forum May Contain Adult Material Over 18s Only.
Please refrain from using words like sex,genital parts,swear words,etc in the topic joke title please. And please remember all things posted in this forum is just a joke and not meant to be anything of true political nature, or anything raciest except as pure jest.And for the political correct types these jokes are mostly like what most comedians world wide have been telling jokes about say the Irish, English,Welsh,Scots,Yanks and just about every creed breed and profession on this planet for decades.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=8769
Agree. Two threads isn't a trend, especially in context of the number of threads generated in the same time period.

TRF is a kind and gentle place compared to every other forum I have ever visited. I'm not seeing cause for this issue to be raised as a dire concern to be addressed en masse.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 11:44 AM   #34
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Agree. Two threads isn't a trend, especially in context of the number of threads generated in the same time period.

TRF is a kind and gentle place compared to every other forum I have ever visited. I'm not seeing cause for this issue to be raised as a dire concern to be addressed en masse.
Offending threads and posts get deleted.
Old 8 January 2017, 11:56 AM   #35
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Offending threads and posts get deleted.
Offending posts and threads get reported as well, correct? Do you disagree that forum members already self police fairly well?
Old 8 January 2017, 12:00 PM   #36
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Offending posts and threads get reported as well, correct? Do you disagree that forum members already self police fairly well?
Generally yes (though most of the troll stuff is gone before it's reported) but there has been an upswing in posts that our few remaining female members would find offensive over the last few days. Maybe you missed it. The OP didn't create this thread just to pass the time.
Old 8 January 2017, 12:05 PM   #37
texex91
"TRF" Member

What is the percentage of female to male members?

99% male? 98%? Just curious?

I would welcome female members to pipe in vs a bunch of males assuming they are offended.

I think that is fair.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 12:06 PM   #38
jfp2476
"TRF" Member

As a new female member of this forum, I will chime in and say I've seen nothing but great decorum and a lot of very nice, helpful folks.

I will also add that as a woman whose interests include watches and cars, it's unfortunate that I'm used to a fair amount of misogyny and chauvinism, ESPECIALLY at car dealerships, and to a lesser degree, at watch dealers.

Case in point, I am selling my current car because it didn't meet my expectations with regard to balance/weight distribution and handling.

I won't name the dealerships, but at one, the salesman was rattling on about cupholders. I politely stopped him and asked how much the car weighed, and also about the front to rear weight distribution. He looked like I'd punched him and proceeded to act completely disgusted throughout the rest of my time there.

At another dealer, I had similar kinds of questions, and every time I asked a question, he answered while looking at my husband. When we returned from a test drive, he introduced us to the sales manager as follows: "So and so, this is Stan and his wife JFP2476. Stan here is a real car guy".

Recent experience at a watch dealer: saw a watch I was interested in, inquired about whether it was automatic. The salesman replied that it was quartz. I politely let him know I wasn't interested in a $10k quartz watch. He turned to my husband and let him know that he had plenty of automatics for him to look at, without even acknowledging me further.

I haven't seen any of this sort of behavior here, but it is fairly rampant in the wild...so kudos, TRF!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
jfp2476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 12:07 PM   #39
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfp2476 View Post
As a new female member of this forum, I will chime in and say I've seen nothing but great decorum and a lot of very nice, helpful folks.

I haven't seen any of this sort of behavior here, but it is fairly rampant in the wild...so kudos, TRF!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Thank you
Old 8 January 2017, 12:11 PM   #40
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Generally yes (though most of the troll stuff is gone before it's reported) but there has been an upswing in posts that our few remaining female members would find offensive over the last few days. Maybe you missed it. The OP didn't create this thread just to pass the time.
Probably so.

It feels like white knighting. But if there is forum data we commoners don't get to see demonstrating a statistically valid trend, then the thread is clearly justified. Thanks.
Old 8 January 2017, 12:14 PM   #41
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
I haven't seen any misogyny, but I don't read any of the jokes section.
Same here (until I came across this topic thread). On the other hand, with today's PC sensitivities and protocols, perhaps an individual sense of discretion and good taste can prevent any misunderstandings, personal offenses and injured feelings. It's sometimes tough to discern as everyone has their own personal scale regarding what's acceptable humor and what isn't.
Quote:
The other day it was a thread in the Joke section, but it was titled for all to see "Pu##y"! Some claimed he was a troll, but he wasn't, he was somebody who thought that was "cute" Really!?
That 'kitty-cat' joke/reference has been around for awhile (as any viewer of the old BBC comedy 'Are You Being Served?' will attest). I am somewhat surprised that it is still running as as a gag-line. Maybe the humor attachment is a British thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
I don't think it's a big deal. If it is mods remove it. We live in a wimp society that apologizes for too much. Everyone should be respectful but there is no need to apologize for humor. Plenty of male being made fun of humor here as well....
Good point. Everyone is a potential target for some sort of satire or social commentary. The key is probably not to reside in a glass house.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 12:15 PM   #42
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post

I would welcome female members to pipe in vs a bunch of males assuming they are offended.

I think that is fair.
We had a comment from a female member just yesterday, who said: "Locker room cr*p that makes TRF seem like a boys club," after a member made a vulgar comment about the female anatomy. And moderation of this forum to a certain standard of civility and decency is not "a bunch of males assuming [women] are offended."
Old 8 January 2017, 12:16 PM   #43
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Quote:

I think that is fair.

Woman checking in. It takes a lot to offend me. I have 2 older brothers, played years of boys hockey growing up, and generally have a lot of really close male friends. I don't think I am a good indication of how offended the women of TRF should feel. I have seen a few posts recently that may not necessarily be truly offensive, but would maybe be considered distasteful. In other words, my female friends would probably be bothered by it.

I would like to thank Trace for bringing it up. Even if I'm not offended, that doesn't mean that all women would be okay. Worst case, this was just a nice reminder to be mindful of all forum members when posting.

cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 12:20 PM   #44
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
Woman checking in. It takes a lot to offend me. I have 2 older brothers, played years of boys hockey growing up, and generally have a lot of really close male friends. I don't think I am a good indication of how offended the women of TRF should feel. I have seen a few posts recently that may not necessarily be truly offensive, but would maybe be considered distasteful. In other words, my female friends would probably be bothered by it.

I would like to thank Trace for bringing it up. Even if I'm not offended, that doesn't mean that all women would be okay. Worst case, this was just a nice reminder to be mindful of all forum members when posting.

Well put Crystal
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 12:29 PM   #45
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
I like this quote from Macbeth, William Shakespeare:
“Sometimes when we are labeled, when we are branded, our brand becomes our calling.”

Cheers to gentlemen members here!!
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 12:32 PM   #46
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We had a comment from a female member just yesterday, who said: "Locker room cr*p that makes TRF seem like a boys club," after a member made a vulgar comment about the female anatomy. And moderation of this forum to a certain standard of civility and decency is not "a bunch of males assuming [women] are offended."
Well that makes sense since there was one complaint.

I just didn't realize there is a 'trend'.

Hope everyone is more sensitive I guess moving forward.

I have missed viewing these consistent offensive threads that have caused this 'trend', so I apologize.
Old 8 January 2017, 12:58 PM   #47
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Lately I've seen a growing "trend" here on TRF, so I thought I'd address it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no "Choir Boy", but what I'd like to address is what I feel to be the blatant disrespect for our female members here on TRF! What started as content in the Jokes n Cartoons Forum, now has worked its way into other General Rolex Forums, with disrespectful titles, suggestive content, suggestive pics etc. The worst part is, Im not referring to posts by our usual trolls, but by "upstanding" longtime members that are on the growing bandwagon, which in turn tells new members it's ok to do the same!

Do we really wonder why women don't want to join this "locker room" mentality here on TRF, or why so few women chime in?

Can't we just act like gentleman, and before we post...think as to whom this thread may offend!

So to the ladies of TRF, let me apologize for the behavior of a "few", as I assure you that "many" of us here don't condone it.

Maybe I'm wrong for saying this out loud, but I felt it was warranted.

sanctimonious is a word, right?

(I'm playing scrabble)
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 01:08 PM   #48
sickened1

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
Quote:
Lately I've seen a growing "trend" here on TRF, so I thought I'd address it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no "Choir Boy", but what I'd like to address is what I feel to be the blatant disrespect for our female members here on TRF! What started as content in the Jokes n Cartoons Forum, now has worked its way into other General Rolex Forums, with disrespectful titles, suggestive content, suggestive pics etc. The worst part is, Im not referring to posts by our usual trolls, but by "upstanding" longtime members that are on the growing bandwagon, which in turn tells new members it's ok to do the same!

Do we really wonder why women don't want to join this "locker room" mentality here on TRF, or why so few women chime in?

So to the ladies of TRF, let me apologize for the behavior of a "few", as I assure you that "many" of us here don't condone it.

Maybe I'm wrong for saying this out loud, but I felt it was warranted.
You're not wrong and it is warranted. Thanks for bringing it up Trace.
sickened1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 01:24 PM   #49
THC

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickened1 View Post
You're not wrong and it is warranted. Thanks for bringing it up Trace.
X3
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 01:39 PM   #50
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

I've been on my forums from photography to gaming and seen the crap women have to go through. TRF is by far the most polite and respectful forum I have been with maybe exception to a Buddhism forum. Other than a few idiots, I have yet to see a locker room mentality here.

Not saying there can't be improvements, but maybe the reason there aren't so many women here is because of the nature of what we represent. Although I welcome more female members, I don't think I'm going to blame men in general for being the dominant part of what is usually a male subject matter.
greggsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 01:50 PM   #51
texex91
"TRF" Member

Maybe I'm not correct, but OP is complaining women are being harassed basically, but the only two women have responded said they are not offended.

So who is right here?

I would give more credence to this thread if a female said they were complaining and I think all would support. But I have yet to see a female complain here...outside one complaint a mod said they received.

Participating in a bunch of forums, this is about as tame as they come folks, if you are offended here, please don't visit any other forum. Some are outright terrible.

I will give kudos to mods here, that is what keeps things sane (and 98.965438% of members are gentlemen IMHO).
Old 8 January 2017, 02:00 PM   #52
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe I'm not correct, but OP is complaining women are being harassed, but the only two women have responded said they are not offended.

So who is right here?

I would give more credence to this thread if a female said they were complaining and I think all would support. But I have yet to see a female complain here...outside one complaint a mod said they received.

Participating in a bunch of forums, this is about as tame as they come folks, if you are offended here, please don't visit any other forum. Some are outright terrible.

I will give kudos to mods here, that is what keeps things sane.
Paul, don't take my word for it, PM a Mod to confirm that I'm receiving PMs from women telling me it's the exact reason they don't post here. Seems to be a few others that agree as well that have chimed in.

I didn't start this to be a hero, or a "White Knight"! Just because no women came forward publically doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Maybe the word "trend" started all this debate, so I'll re-phrase it like this... "it can't be denied that the frequency of it happening has been growing".
Old 8 January 2017, 02:03 PM   #53
texex91
"TRF" Member

Well sounds good.

Hope those that have PM'd you become members.

At the end of the day I've learned long ago you cannot please 100% of the people 100% of the time.

Welcome to the internet.
Old 8 January 2017, 02:05 PM   #54
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

And nobody said women were being harassed. The thread was about offensive content in threads that women MAY find offensive.
Old 8 January 2017, 02:09 PM   #55
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Maybe I'm not correct, but OP is complaining women are being harassed basically, but the only two women have responded said they are not offended.

So who is right here?

I will give kudos to mods here, that is what keeps things sane (and 98.965438% of members are gentlemen IMHO).
I didn't "say I received it", it was a comment made in a thread yesterday for all to see. I guess you missed that one.
Old 8 January 2017, 02:09 PM   #56
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
And nobody said women were being harassed. The thread was about offensive content in threads that women MAY find offensive.
Geez... here come's the thought police.

We've read the thread Trace. No need to expound further. Folks here can gather the meaning and respond accordingly.
Old 8 January 2017, 02:10 PM   #57
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

I'm done "gentlemen".

Happy New Year
Old 8 January 2017, 02:11 PM   #58
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I didn't "say I received it", it was a comment made in a thread yesterday for all to see. I guess you missed that one.
Yes, hence why I said: "I have missed viewing these consistent offensive threads that have caused this 'trend', so I apologize."

As much as I love the forum I don't read 100% of the threads

Hope female member increases.

Peace out.
Old 8 January 2017, 02:16 PM   #59
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Can't we act like gentlemen???

One thing we can all agree on is we Love The Ladies of TRF and Nobody wants to intentionally be disrespectful or to treat anyone poorly.

Trace put it out there and we all might want to take a moment to reflect on our personal posts and just THINK about what we are writing before we post it. Pretty simple stuff.

Now- Back to Watches, Cars, Food, Wine, etc.!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 04:51 PM   #60
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
noted.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote