The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 January 2010, 07:50 AM   #151
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamasterGMT View Post
Oh PLEASE! People like YOU are the reason Rolex is starting to get an image of "watch for older people". Do you seriuosly believe the Deepsea is THAT big?

Ask many of the Omega and Breitling owners here. Most of their watches are just as thick and bigger in diameter than the Deepsea.

You just stick to your little dress watches which probably look very good on your puny wrist and let us boys live an active life with our watches that we can do EVERYTHING with.
Explain to all of us how "Rolex is starting to get an image of watch for older people." I'm sure we'd all love to hear.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 08:51 AM   #152
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
<snip>...............and when the need arises to go to depths in excess of 300M, the SDDS is there for those few.........<snip>
Just thought you might like to know.............do you have any idea how few people dive deeper than 300m these days?? More people have walked on the moon, than to dive to these depths today. Due to costs that are prohibitive, and the perfection of ROVs and atmospheric diving suits.........There is just not a need for divers to risk injury diving to extreme depths.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 09:06 AM   #153
snow_rocks
Banned

Watch: the SKY tonite!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamasterGMT View Post
You just stick to your little dress watches which probably look very good on your puny wrist and let us boys live an active life with our watches that we can do EVERYTHING with.
Might have been put wearing what feels comfortable for what you are doing is what really matters.
_______

Yes, the EX1 does feels good on my 7 1/2 inch wrist while I landscape during the summer months!
_______

See, not so hard!
snow_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 09:15 AM   #154
Holden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
My DSSD is an everyday wearer for me. I don't think it is bulky or obstructive at all.
Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 09:23 AM   #155
rmcarlton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
DSSD not my favorite, but to each his own.
rmcarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 09:27 AM   #156
Clogger

Watch: SS Sub Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
Just thought you might like to know.............do you have any idea how few people dive deeper than 300m these days?? More people have walked on the moon, than to dive to these depths today. Due to costs that are prohibitive, and the perfection of ROVs and atmospheric diving suits.........There is just not a need for divers to risk injury diving to extreme depths.
ROV's are ok but are normally sat on deck broken and they can still not work in very poor vis or do the heavy construction work. The really deep Oilfields are set up for ROV intervention (ie very deep) but most old fields are not so the good old diver is sent down to get on with it. It normally takes an ROV 10 hours to complete something that would take a Diver 5 mins!!

Now 1 ATM suits are pretty rare, we hardly ever hear of this being employed in the Oil Fields but I would love to have a go in one.
Clogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 11:01 AM   #157
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogger View Post
ROV's are ok but are normally sat on deck broken and they can still not work in very poor vis or do the heavy construction work. The really deep Oilfields are set up for ROV intervention (ie very deep) but most old fields are not so the good old diver is sent down to get on with it. It normally takes an ROV 10 hours to complete something that would take a Diver 5 mins!!

Now 1 ATM suits are pretty rare, we hardly ever hear of this being employed in the Oil Fields but I would love to have a go in one.
I understand about the ROVs, but you must admit that there are not very many divers on jobs where the working depth is > 250M in this day and time.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 11:05 AM   #158
Ebruner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118208
I would have to take a pound of weights out of my BCD if I owned that thing!!

-Eddie
Old 26 January 2010, 01:43 PM   #159
Double_J
"TRF" Member

If I didn't know the sub was 40mm, I'd say the dssd made it look like a ladies watch. But since I know the sub is a decent size, the side by side makes me appreciate the sub's classic lines and proportion even more.

That said, the dssd is beautiful. Great shots. Although it really does need a more substantial bracelet to balance the case.
Double_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 01:48 PM   #160
David Woo

great comparison shots: thanks for sharing!
DW
David Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 01:51 PM   #161
scl6118
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMT IIC
Nice pics!

Current: SS GMT IIC
Former: Panerai 114
Former: Breitling Hercules

:
scl6118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 01:54 PM   #162
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116613LN Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
Great comparison shots

You'd never be able to swim with the SDDS on your wrist, could use it as an anchor though
That's the whole idea. One uses it as diving weight.
Old 26 January 2010, 02:40 PM   #163
njwatchguy

Watch: Submariner 16610
Tried one on. Like others have commented I would have preferred a larger dial and the Helium escape valve in huge bold letters is a bit of a turn off. However it still an impressive piece.
njwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 07:57 PM   #164
SeamasterGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: DeepSea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_J View Post
Although it really does need a more substantial bracelet to balance the case.
Take a look at the original Deepsea on the Trieste event thread - it tapers!
It is also extremely comfortable.
Old 26 January 2010, 08:52 PM   #165
Dylan Wade

Watch: EXP II
Deepsea looks and feels great to me too and although I chose to wear other watches there is no problem in wearing a DSSD everyday if it was an only watch or you simply wanted to. As many others have said; it's simply a matter of personal taste as to if you like it or not. I'm glad a good number of people don't like.....
Dylan Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2010, 06:51 AM   #166
SeamasterGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: DeepSea
I would say you probably need to have a thick wrist to wear the Deepsea...thick skin too. If you are easily put off or offended at what other people think or say then it is probably not for you as lots of people here don't like it.
Old 27 January 2010, 07:39 AM   #167
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
That' one hunk of metal. Thanks for sharing.
Old 27 January 2010, 07:40 AM   #168
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

The blue LUM is pretty nice...
Old 26 March 2010, 12:08 PM   #169
cyclone3565
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date
As the proud owner of both, a Sub Date and a Deep See (got it last Saturday) I have to strongly disagree. Rolex outdid themselves with this one. The Submariner will always have a following, but the Deep See is a marvel of achievement, balance, and comfort. It is a very large watch, it screams beat the !$%@#$ out of me and keep it coming. As one who is touch on their watches this one is fantastic. I got my Sub about five years ago and within one week took a big chunk out of the Bezel and stainless. So what it is a watch, meant to be worn, not abused, but worn. The Deep Sea will be able to take whatever you throw at it. Rolex outdid themselves. It is a masterpiece.
cyclone3565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2010, 04:22 AM   #170
gmaines

Watch: Submariner&SDDS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone3565 View Post
As the proud owner of both, a Sub Date and a Deep See (got it last Saturday) I have to strongly disagree. Rolex outdid themselves with this one. The Submariner will always have a following, but the Deep See is a marvel of achievement, balance, and comfort. It is a very large watch, it screams beat the !$%@#$ out of me and keep it coming. As one who is touch on their watches this one is fantastic. I got my Sub about five years ago and within one week took a big chunk out of the Bezel and stainless. So what it is a watch, meant to be worn, not abused, but worn. The Deep Sea will be able to take whatever you throw at it. Rolex outdid themselves. It is a masterpiece.
I must agree with you, I have 2 sub dates and the Deep sea, the deepsea stands out and shouts at the world. Love all my watches, but the Deepsea is my favorite by far
gmaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2010, 09:53 AM   #171
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Great shots! Lume is awesome. The SDDS is a BIG boy!!
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2010, 10:01 AM   #172
thomaskho
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Awesome, superb shots here!!
thomaskho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2010, 11:53 AM   #173
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

Not to defend the Deepsea, but........

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTL View Post
If you're serious about this post, then you need to probably adjust your attitude towards other forum members.

I can't claim to speak for everyone with an active lifestyle. However, I am a pretty active person. FWIW I like my Explorer-II much better than my Sub for wear while biking, hiking, running, playing tennis, and other outdoor pursuits. Expy is lighter and the weight is more balanced; Sub always slid down on my wrist when I got sweaty, making for an uncomfortable position when your wrist needs to hinge. Switched to the NATO on the Sub and it's much better. I've tried on a DSSD and I couldn't imagine trying to run more than a couple of miles with it on--to keep it from flopping or sliding, you'd have to make it uncomfortably tight. The Expy or Sub can handle all of MY active pursuits, but I haven't tried running, climbing, biking, swimming, etc. 1000ft under water yet.

And I'm 34 years old, and an Army Officer. I wear a suit once or twice a month. I have a six handicap at golf. I must be waaaay too old and stuffy to wear a real man's watch.
It is really a matter of perspective as to what can be done in different watches. The only reason I sold my Deepsea was because there was too much superstructure IN RELATION TO THE PART OF THE WATCH I USE, that being the dial. But as far as any watch being too big, or too uncomfortable for sports, I just don't see it. I've run plenty of marathons and a couple of ultras, ridden and taken race courses on motorcycles, etc. etc. etc. in watches of which the SMALLEST was the DSSD. Curently I run plenty of miles (very slowly--I'm very old) in a Breitling Super Avenger, and if I flip that I'm probably moving to another Girard Perreguax Seahawk II Pro XL at 21.11 height and 44 mm case. It is silly to say that the DSSD is TOO BIG for pretty much anything. Even the height is fine if you know the difference between the first cuff button and the second cuff button on your shirt.

Hate the DSSD if you wish (I didn't keep mine due to the rehaut and the smallish dial) but everyone needs to admit that it is a go anywhere, do anything watch that smacks of superior engineering, and quality construction.

In related news, I tried on a Seadweller at my AD the other day, and decided that it was far TOO SMALL for me.

YMMV.

Oh, by the way, if you're in the US Army, thanks for serviing. Greatly appreciated by us old guys.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2010, 01:39 PM   #174
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

I tried the DSSD a few times and it is also too much for my tastes... I was a fan of the older SD and would like to see someone do a comparison of those two to see how much they have changed it.

“Hail to the king, baby" Ash (Army of Darkness 1992)
kingblackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2010, 02:03 PM   #175
WatchnRoll
"TRF" Member

The Deep Sea finally distinguishes the design from the Submariner. The SD was too close in design to the Sub and now there is no doubt about which watch is which...

I still don't understand all the Deep Sea bashing on here. The bracelet is not the same size as the Sub and the watch wears super comfortable.

I owned a SD up to just a few weeks ago...the Deep Sea is more my speed. My wrist is 7inches. I'm 6 foot 2 so i'm not a small guy...it looks good on me.

It's weird how the super case on the GMT and now new sub isn't getting that much negative posts but I prefer the case design of the Deep Sea over the super case of the GMT and Sub.
Old 27 March 2010, 03:35 PM   #176
Poom
"TRF" Member

Well I think differently, Rolex intentionally makes this DSSR as the high technolgical watch and to go far that depth, you need this super case and definite ring lock and it becomes that thick. To be fair to Rolex, this is one of a great tool watch. Anyway, most of the comment that Rolex might need to improve is the balance of the case and the bracelet which seems unfit and tend to lose the balance on wrist when wearing not real tight up. To tighthen the bracelet up, then you lose comfortability. Therefore, IMHO, it's not about the size at all gone wrong with DSSR. I don't own it but thinking to hv one.

Watch is all around!
I love the crown of achievement!
Poom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2010, 04:37 PM   #177
4 Ranges

What kjacques said.
4 Ranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2010, 04:40 PM   #178
tmo168
"TRF" Member

Watch: this and that
I love my Deepsea, I got it almost two years ago and it never came out of my wrist since then. I even bought a v serial seadweller and white ss daytona but decided to sell them as I just prefer wearing my deepsea every single day. So for anyone who feels otherwise on the deepsea I respect your views but at the end of the day its my opinion that matters and I love love love love my deepsea.
tmo168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2010, 05:21 PM   #179
Mr Soy sauce

haha so many deep sea haters
Mr Soy sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2010, 06:16 PM   #180
tattooedfagin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red

well, each to their own...but it works for me

TRF Hall of Fame
tattooedfagin is offline   Reply With Quote