The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 July 2013, 05:21 AM   #31
CWIN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, AP, Rolex
I'm flipping my sub for the batman GMT today. The fedex truck has yet to arrive at my AD though. I'm going nuts just waiting for it right now.
CWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2013, 06:47 PM   #32
DJF881
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@lex View Post
As the prices are a little bit over of what I expected, might as well be thinking of getting a used one.

Any thoughts on used Rolex in NY?

Thanx
I remember reading that "grey market" sellers in the US got their stock by buying watches retail from ADs in South America for prices much lower than US SRP. You should check the prices in your local market. I'm not sure why you would want to travel to the USA to buy a watch.
DJF881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2013, 04:46 AM   #33
Stebinners
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
I currently have a 2007 sub date, owned it since new... But went in dealer yesterday and tried a gmt, i love it.

Seriously considering px the sub for the gmt.... What you reckon. I willonly need toput £1500 to it!

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Stebinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2013, 05:02 AM   #34
JED POLAND

Watch: keeper
I would definitely go for it - for me, GMT is a different league of aesthetics!
JED POLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2013, 05:04 AM   #35
Stebinners
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
Yeah it does look great... Oh well, off shopping tomorrow then!

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Stebinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2013, 05:42 AM   #36
holidaynova
"TRF" Member

I decied on the sub even though I travel for a living. I have my iphone for time zones.. although in reality the GMT would have been perfect for that... sub iconic .. I even went no date ... it's about look and feel for me ...
holidaynova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2013, 10:12 AM   #37
david_royal
"TRF" Member

I am a soon to be first time Rolex buyer and I haven't pulled the trigger because I am struggling with the Sub vs GMT debate.

For the GMT owners. Is the PCL almost a guarantee to get scratched up? Do you feel is affects the aesthetic of the watch?
david_royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2013, 11:27 PM   #38
Justso
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by JED POLAND View Post
Submariner is the last watch from Rolex collection I would buy.
Hater.
Justso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2013, 03:40 AM   #39
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_royal View Post
I am a soon to be first time Rolex buyer and I haven't pulled the trigger because I am struggling with the Sub vs GMT debate.

For the GMT owners. Is the PCL almost a guarantee to get scratched up? Do you feel is affects the aesthetic of the watch?
There's no sugar coating it, all bracelets will get scratches PCLs will show the small fine line scratches more than brushed ones. The big gouges will show on both. If it is something that really bothers you then it should be considered. Doesn't bother me. I have a TT so obviously the PCLs will get scratched. Yes I have fine line scratches but in reality they are hardly noticeable in practice unless someone grabs me by the wrist, holds the watch up to their face, and starts examining it closely.

I'm not sure why, but this PCL issue seems a lot more in play when talking about the GMT than any other Rolex. There are an awful lot of Rolex models with PCLs and you just don't hear this issue nearly as often with those. It doesn't seem talked about much when people are considering a Daytona, YM, or DJ. Maybe it's just because to many people the Sub looks similar that this becomes a concern because there seem to be many Sub v. GMT threads.

There are ways to handle scratches on any bracelet, PCLs or not. You can polish yourself occasionally (Cape Cod Cloth for PCLs, Scotchbrite for brushed); you can take it to a watchmaker for minor touch-ups, or you can leave them until service time when your watch will come back from the RSC looking brand new again.

To thine own self be true. If any scratches on a bracelet would bother you then perhaps PCLs are not for you. If not so much, then it shouldn't be much of an issue at all.
Old 23 July 2013, 04:50 PM   #40
casa
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln
I got the sub first because dive watches were what I was familiar with. However a few months later and now I also want a GMT. While the two models look similar the differences in both looks and more so in function, are enough to make each one stand out. So get either one - and you will find out soon enough you will also want the other as well, because one rolex is never enough

...and don't worry too much about scratches - they'll give your watch some character.
casa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2013, 11:49 AM   #41
bahamabart
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner 50th
I just picked up this Pepsi to go with my Sub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sub & GMT.jpg (71.4 KB, 550 views)
bahamabart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2013, 06:26 AM   #42
Kevan
"TRF" Member

Watch: the one on my arm.
Kevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2014, 10:52 AM   #43
insaneguy88
"TRF" Member

Hello, I am also commenting because I am in THE SAME EXACT PREDICAMENT!
I don't know which one to get!
I love the pcl on the gmt, and I'm not scared of scratches. I can refinish it myself with my cape cod cloth, some blue tape, some flitz, and scotchbrite pads, my dremel, and rouge.
It comes out like new.
Anyways...
I'm thinking my deciding factor becomes functions.
I DO swim, and jacuzzi lots.

DOES ANYONE KNOW, IF THE gmt has the same waterproof capabilities as the sub????/??
If so, then I feel like its a no brainer.

If the gmt isn't even close to being waterproof like the sub, then I'm leaning towards the sub. The pricing is pretty much identical.
Decisions decisions decisions!!!!
Please help.
insaneguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2014, 11:15 AM   #44
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneguy88 View Post

DOES ANYONE KNOW, IF THE gmt has the same waterproof capabilities as the sub????/??
If so, then I feel like its a no brainer.

If the gmt isn't even close to being waterproof like the sub, then I'm leaning towards the sub. The pricing is pretty much identical.
Decisions decisions decisions!!!!
Please help.

As far as what you are talking about - swimming and the hot tub - the GMT is for all intents and purposes just as water proof as the Sub.

For deep water diving it is not. The GMT is rated to 300 ft (it will do at least that) and the Sub to 1000 ft. And no, you do not need this extra WR for swimming unless 300 times what you need is not enough, then go for 1,000 times what you need.
Old 3 March 2014, 09:53 AM   #45
insaneguy88
"TRF" Member

might sound like a silly question... because sometimes in the back of your head, no matter what they say, you don't want to ruin your watch.
waterproof is ALOT different then water resistant.

is the gmt WATERPROOF? AS IN... submerging it in the swimming pool?
vs...
taking a shower and having sprinkles rain over it?

if the gmt is waterproof up to 100m or 300 ft. that might be good enough!
Old 3 March 2014, 10:48 AM   #46
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
might sound like a silly question... because sometimes in the back of your head, no matter what they say, you don't want to ruin your watch.
waterproof is ALOT different then water resistant.

is the gmt WATERPROOF? AS IN... submerging it in the swimming pool?
vs...
taking a shower and having sprinkles rain over it?

if the gmt is waterproof up to 100m or 300 ft. that might be good enough!
Rolex was the first company to actually call their watches water PROOF. They now refer to water resistance like all the others. Essentially it has to do with the government and truth in advertising. Because the watches are rated through pressure test rather than by actually submerging each watch to the rated depth for some period of time under movement, etc., it can't be called water proof, so the term water resistance is used. It has nothing to do with giving Rolex a legal out from covering it under warranty if the watch fails when it hits water, if that's what you're worried about.

Either watch will be fine as along as the GMT is kept under less than 330 feet of water and the crown is screwed down. Believe it or not, for swimming you'd probably be OK even if you forgot to screw down the crown. You're just gonna have to trust us on this.

BTW, if you swim or dive regularly it is good practice to have any watch pressure tested once a year or so, or whenever the case back is opened during a service.
Old 3 March 2014, 11:28 AM   #47
Rumhead
"TRF" Member

Watch: ExpII, Sub, TT DJ
It is very difficult to decide which one to buy. I'd buy preowned and get both. I got a sub recently, and last year found a great deal on a polar expII. Just a suggestion as an alternative to the gmt. This way you'd have two watches that don't look so similar as it's nice to switch it up sometimes.
Rumhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2014, 09:03 AM   #48
insaneguy88
"TRF" Member

thank you for the guidance
I plan on buying both one day,
but this first one is special.
it's a wedding present for my wife to be.
i'm thinking now a days, women (my fiance' is no different) enjoy the larger face mens style watches.
because the gmt does have a pcl, it is slightly dressier and that seems to be the route I am gonna lean towards.

and the sub for myself
hahahaha
Old 4 March 2014, 09:28 AM   #49
nickb732
"TRF" Member

Definitely the GMT!
nickb732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2014, 09:40 AM   #50
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
thank you for the guidance
I plan on buying both one day,
but this first one is special.
it's a wedding present for my wife to be.
i'm thinking now a days, women (my fiance' is no different) enjoy the larger face mens style watches.
because the gmt does have a pcl, it is slightly dressier and that seems to be the route I am gonna lean towards.

and the sub for myself
hahahaha
Good plan, and you and your wife can switch off.

The only question I'd have is if she wears other bracelets or bangles on her watch hand. The PCLs might show more "experience lines" if this is the case. Of course, she might not be so obsessed as some of us.

Glad you've gotten over your concern about the water resistance. Rolex watches are not just water-proof, they are FAMOUS for it and have been for decades upon decades.
Old 20 July 2014, 09:05 PM   #51
gmtm2
"TRF" Member

gmt absolutely!
Old 21 July 2014, 12:19 PM   #52
Agricola
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, Milgauss GV
I may be a bit bias; go with the GMT
Agricola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 01:59 AM   #53
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
The 116710 LN and the 116610 LN look to similar in my opinion, although, they are totally different types of watches. Visually, the PCL's on the 116710 set it apart the most from the 116610.

I was faced with the same issue a few years ago when I was looking to add a GMT Master II to my collection, but hesitated because at that time only the LN was available and I felt it was to similar in appearance to my 16610 LN. I am glad I waited as the BLNR was released a couple of years later. I recently picked up a BLNR and could not be happier. The addition of the half blue bezel and GMT hand makes all the difference to me.

If I were the OP, I would pick up a 116710 BLNR and a 116610 LN.
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 02:29 AM   #54
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Chan View Post
The 116710 LN and the 116610 LN look to similar in my opinion, although, they are totally different types of watches. Visually, the PCL's on the 116710 set it apart the most from the 116610.

I was faced with the same issue a few years ago when I was looking to add a GMT Master II to my collection, but hesitated because at that time only the LN was available and I felt it was to similar in appearance to my 16610 LN. I am glad I waited as the BLNR was released a couple of years later. I recently picked up a BLNR and could not be happier. The addition of the half blue bezel and GMT hand makes all the difference to me.

If I were the OP, I would pick up a 116710 BLNR and a 116610 LN.
Not to disagree with you because I concur about the the PCLs and think most non-wis will notice those first, but I see the bezel as the most obvious difference. For example, it's the reason the GMT looks better in two tone to me than the Sub. Both have PCL's but they look way different to my eye.
Old 24 July 2014, 12:14 PM   #55
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

Do you travel abroad a lot? do you dive?
That would be my question to myself and whichever one I did more that's the one if pick

I travel a lot but I also dive, but I wouldn't want to take such a beautiful piece under the water personally, which is why is get the GMT or explorer 2 every time
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2014, 02:15 AM   #56
gocsan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610LV
A sub doesn't have to be used specifically for diving. You can use the rotating bezel as a timer for pretty much anything from timing when you switched on the gas stove to how long it takes to walk to a specific place. Whereas on a GMT, it's more difficult sine the bezel has 0-24 numbers, which means to calculate time elapse in minutes, you'll have to multiply the number by 2.5.

On the sub, it's not too difficult to use the bezel as a second clock by offsetting the pearl marker -/+ hour difference as long as you're comfortable with seeing 5 as 1 o clock, 15 as 3 o clock, 40 as 8 o clock etc.

But if you really are a frequent traveller, then a GMT would be the better choice as the watch has specific features for setting a second time.
gocsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2014, 03:41 AM   #57
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocsan View Post
A sub doesn't have to be used specifically for diving. You can use the rotating bezel as a timer for pretty much anything from timing when you switched on the gas stove to how long it takes to walk to a specific place. Whereas on a GMT, it's more difficult sine the bezel has 0-24 numbers, which means to calculate time elapse in minutes, you'll have to multiply the number by 2.5.

On the sub, it's not too difficult to use the bezel as a second clock by offsetting the pearl marker -/+ hour difference as long as you're comfortable with seeing 5 as 1 o clock, 15 as 3 o clock, 40 as 8 o clock etc.

But if you really are a frequent traveller, then a GMT would be the better choice as the watch has specific features for setting a second time.
Not sure what you mean by multiplying the time be 2.5, but the bezel on the GMT is essentially accurate between +- 0 to at worst 1.25 minutes. Maybe not good enough to time decompression stops on a dive but is anyone still using a wrist watch and dive tables except as back-up anyway? Besides, to me it's still plenty useful for most routine needs such as parking meters etc. If I need more accuracy than that I should probably go to my Daytona that day.

In regards to your method of using the Sub bezel for a 2nd time zone, if I understand you correctly you are saying if the 2nd zone you want to track is say 3 hours ahead you put the Sub pearl marker on the 3? That's not telling you the time in the 2nd zone, just the offset from where you are. And you already need to know that in order to set any GMT bezel. In fact you'd already need to know that in order to set the bezel on the Sub to begin with, so I'm still not sure how useful the Sub is as a TZ watch. Maybe I misunderstood you on this.

I own both watches and love both of 'em. Bottom line is which one will be the most versatile/useful to anyone will depend on their particular needs. And if telling time is really the only need then it comes down primarily to personal preference since resale value is pretty strong on both models.
Old 22 November 2014, 02:26 AM   #58
flatmad
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
get both.. thats what I ended up doing.. problem solved..happy..
flatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2014, 02:45 PM   #59
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
My favorite Rolex watch is the sub -no date-. I personally don't care for the sub. Date.
But the GMT is to me, the most versatile watch Rolex makes ( this is what I wear pretty much everyday ), having two time zone is incredibly useful for me, and I can dive and swim with it. But as far as design, I would get the sun - no date-, especially the ceramic one, a true tool watch.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote