The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 15 January 2024, 04:42 PM   #1
elau1958
"TRF" Member

Question: Pulling on the crown

I don't wear my Sub that much and therefore I have to set the date and time each time I take it out of the safe. Is it me being paranoid? I find it difficult pulling the crown out each time, so afraid I will pull the whole stem out. None of my other watch has that much resistance. Is it normal or should I send it in for service?
elau1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 05:00 PM   #2
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Question: Pulling on the crown

Occasionally. After unscrewing the crown I usually have to roll the crown forward a bit until it pops away from the case into position 1. Once there it usually goes to position 2 just fine. All Rolex will sometimes need to be fiddled with to let the crown out easily. I've had this on 3 DJ41, 4 subs, and 4 GMTs so agree it's a thing.

Don't apply a lot of force. Roll the crown a quarter turn and try again.
Old 15 January 2024, 05:43 PM   #3
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Read post 2.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 06:28 PM   #4
taitun4life
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepro View Post
occasionally. After unscrewing the crown i usually have to roll the crown forward a bit until it pops away from the case into position 1. Once there it usually goes to position 2 just fine. All rolex will sometimes need to be fiddled with to let the crown out easily. I've had this on 3 dj41, 4 subs, and 4 gmts so agree it's a thing.

+1

Get what you love and wear ‘em…..
taitun4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2024, 03:10 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Occasionally. After unscrewing the crown I usually have to roll the crown forward a bit until it pops away from the case into position 1. Once there it usually goes to position 2 just fine. All Rolex will sometimes need to be fiddled with to let the crown out easily. I've had this on 3 DJ41, 4 subs, and 4 GMTs so agree it's a thing.

Exactly that.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2024, 06:13 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The base of the crown is a socket. It needs to line up with the hex at the top of the stem, as well as get by all the other obstacles.

The odds of it lining up perfectly each time it is unscrewed is likely very high. Forcing it won't do much if it isn't already close to engaging - give it a wiggle, it likes it.
Old 18 January 2024, 05:36 PM   #7
frankflapjack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elau1958 View Post
I don't wear my Sub that much and therefore I have to set the date and time each time I take it out of the safe. Is it me being paranoid? I find it difficult pulling the crown out each time, so afraid I will pull the whole stem out. None of my other watch has that much resistance. Is it normal or should I send it in for service?
And to be asking an obvious question - you're unscrewing the crown, right? e.g. turning the crown counterclockwise as you face it? Because if you don't unscrew the crown, then yeah, you're going to have a REALLY hard time pulling on the crown stem.

Beyond that, I agree with the other suggestions here - wiggle the crown a bit back and forth (clockwise and counterclockwise) perhaps until it "pops" out a bit more from the case - that should be position 1 for manual winding.

Tug a bit more on the crown stem for position 2 (date adjustment) and then again a bit more for position 3 (for time adjustment).

If you have unscrewed the crown stem to position 1 and still have a hard time pulling/tugging it further, then I would suggest a trip to your AD or sending your Sub to RSC for service.

Frank
frankflapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 06:19 PM   #8
Andad

Watch: A few.
Thanks Frank……..

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 06:21 PM   #9
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
I know, there is absolutely no pleasure in operating it. Makes me cringe each time, yet my watches are perfectly serviced.
Old 19 January 2024, 03:07 PM   #10
elau1958
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the replies.
elau1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 08:18 PM   #11
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by elau1958 View Post
Is it normal or should I send it in for service?
If your Sub is more than 10 years old (I didn’t see anyone ask this) and the answer in post #2 doesn’t remedy the symptom you mentioned, then yes you may be due for a service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2024, 10:53 PM   #12
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
If you have it all the time instead of occasionally and it’s been a long time since service then i agree with 77T that it might just be in need of a service.
Rolex1982 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 11:34 AM   #13
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Make sure that the crown is fully unwound. Then you should experience the crown just pop out. After this, wind the watch and set the date and time. Do not overtighten the crown down. Snug, but no more.

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 02:02 AM   #14
swexlin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankflapjack View Post
And to be asking an obvious question - you're unscrewing the crown, right? e.g. turning the crown counterclockwise as you face it? Because if you don't unscrew the crown, then yeah, you're going to have a REALLY hard time pulling on the crown stem.

Beyond that, I agree with the other suggestions here - wiggle the crown a bit back and forth (clockwise and counterclockwise) perhaps until it "pops" out a bit more from the case - that should be position 1 for manual winding.

Tug a bit more on the crown stem for position 2 (date adjustment) and then again a bit more for position 3 (for time adjustment).

If you have unscrewed the crown stem to position 1 and still have a hard time pulling/tugging it further, then I would suggest a trip to your AD or sending your Sub to RSC for service.

Frank
Interesting discussion.

I have a brand new (from AD) YM 40 two weeks now. It pulls into postion 2 just fine, but can be (sometimes) difficult to get into Position 3 (hacking). It just barely clicks, and hacks, then I touch it, and it's back to Pos 2. It's not a very pronounced "click". I have a couple others with this movement, and they don't do it. I'll monitor it, it may just be normal for this watch. I'd hate to have to send a new watch in for warranty already.
swexlin is online now   Reply With Quote