The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 April 2008, 11:27 PM   #1
uncle-gee

Rolex 5th year maintenance service

Rolex 5th year maintenance service:

Prices seem to vary a lot. (380$ to 750$)

A) How much should I pay for that?

B) What do they do to the watch exactly? (Do they really totally tear it down?/Do they polish each link of the bracelet?)

C) Will my watch look exactly as it looked when I originally bought it?

D) Can someone post before/after pictures?

Thanks.
uncle-gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2008, 11:32 PM   #2
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

A the price of the service is around 350-400 if there is nothing damaged on your watch
B They are going to tear down your watch clean each part of it and lubricate it
C Your watch will be returned to you after 2-3 weeks and it is going to look like Brand new

D Sadly I don't have any before and after pics

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2008, 11:40 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle-gee View Post

B) What do they do to the watch exactly? (Do they really totally tear it down?/Do they polish each link of the bracelet?)

Thanks.

Well according what watch you have to service say from a DJ to a SD in the UK it would be from £195 -£240 plus parts if needed.And yes watch is stripped right down all cleaned re-oiled re-assembled all new seals etc re-pressured tested and checked for time keeping.Case bracelet polished re-brushed and returned with 12 months warranty looking as close to new as its possible to get.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2008, 11:42 PM   #4
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Around USD 400-500 in RSC Jakarta. Just regular service, if your Rolex need change the spare part (for example change the dial) they will charge it.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2008, 12:08 AM   #5
sherwin
"TRF" Member

minimum S$500 service overhaul plus parts and gst (7%)
sherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2008, 08:58 AM   #6
sleedawg
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks.
Uncle-gee,

1) The base price for service varies by watch model/movement. If you have a zenith movement Daytona, then you're more likely paying $750 due to the complication. Own a non-complicated watch such as an Oyster Perpetual w/o a date, Explorer I, or Sub no-date 14060m and the price is more like $450 (minimum at a RSC).

The next variance in price is due to what you need. If you need a new bezel, face, hands or any other parts... then the price goes up.

2) Yes, they tear down the watch, but do not take apart the bracelet. They do put it in an ultrasonic cleaner etc and do try to adjust the bracelet to make it as close to new.

3) It will look almost as good as new. Polishing does take away a bit of material away. But it's worth it when it shines like new. Of course, if you put a huge gouge in the case, they're not going to be able to polish that out.

4) There are some before and after shots of a Daytona recently on the board. Those came out pretty nice.

BIG NOTE. If you use anyone other than the Rolex Service Center (such as an independent watchmaker or an Rolex AD)... make 100% sure they're qualified. Getting bad service is ultimately more expensive than paying for good service up front.
sleedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2008, 04:08 AM   #7
butlersl

Watch: Sub-Date
I have sent two different watches to RSC-NY, a Submariner ("A" model) and a Datejust ("L" model"), and the prices, including return S&H, were around $500 for the Sub and around $650 for the DJ. Both of them had the "usual" things: Clean & oil, replace crown tube, pressure test, polish (no charge.... :-) ), measure timekeeping, etc. The DJ needed a new crown and new crystal ($90) - the old one was chipped, but other than that the price seemed comparable considering the DJ is from 1990.

While I'm waiting on the return of the DJ, I was very pleased with the work on the Sub. Not only do you get official factory service, but you get verification that everything on your watch is authentic and all parts match, you get a one year factory warranty, you get "paperwork" that can assist if you ever want to sell, and it comes back looking like new.

As an aside, the service estimate provided lists all the recommended things that need to be serviced. On the DJ, the estimate said "worn caseback sticker" or something to that effect. The watch has the remnants of the green sticker, so I am wondering what will they typically do? Leave it alone? Remove it and send it back? Replace it? Just curious...
butlersl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2008, 09:49 AM   #8
MAINEZX10
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks.
Just paid $790 for servicing my Daytona. They replaced my case tube,crystal, polished my Monobloc crown, refinished case & braclet and Factory movement service,gaskets & water/pres-prf. Here are some before and afters

MAINEZX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2008, 10:09 AM   #9
walds11
"TRF" Member

MAINEZX10, how much did they charge you for the crystal replacement?
Old 11 April 2008, 10:19 AM   #10
MAINEZX10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
MAINEZX10, how much did they charge you for the crystal replacement?
$ 90 & labor
MAINEZX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2008, 10:35 AM   #11
blackeagle

I think 7 to 10 years is close enough for service depending on wear. My first GMT was not serviced for 13 years and still was within 2 seconds a day.

blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2008, 11:31 AM   #12
Clubhouse Champ

Looks great

Just sent my Daytona to the Dallas RSC, it was in similar condition to yours and your service quote is spot on to mine. After seeing yours I can't wait to get it back. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Clubhouse Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2008, 01:10 PM   #13
A3K
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Rolex Service Center in Jakarta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trurolexer View Post
Around USD 400-500 in RSC Jakarta. Just regular service, if your Rolex need change the spare part (for example change the dial) they will charge it.
Hi there,
I found your name in the rolex forum and noticed that you are based in Indonesia. Got a problem w/my rolex GMT Master and need to have a service center in Jakarta. However the one that I used to visit in Pasar Baru had been closed down. Any information where I can find another relaible service center in town ? Kindly respond by email to gangway@idola.net.id

tks & rgds
A3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2008, 11:58 PM   #14
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
I found some links showing what's done during service:

Service pics (1).

Service pics (2).

Adjusting a Rolex (1).

Adjusting a Rolex (2).

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2008, 12:01 AM   #15
sherwin
"TRF" Member

very informative Bo. Thanks
Old 23 April 2008, 12:08 AM   #16
Scarface
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex , Omega
MAINEZX10 awesome pics
Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph
Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2008, 03:25 AM   #17
stuttgart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
thanks for sharing the service links and pictures..
stuttgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2008, 03:30 AM   #18
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeagle View Post
I think 7 to 10 years is close enough for service depending on wear. My first GMT was not serviced for 13 years and still was within 2 seconds a day.

I agree with you Blackeagle, unless you are noticing some regulation deviation or something else that is "not right." Especially if you are a multiple watch wearer, or put yours through "severe duty."
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2008, 03:57 AM   #19
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ View Post
I agree with you Blackeagle, unless you are noticing some regulation deviation or something else that is "not right." Especially if you are a multiple watch wearer, or put yours through "severe duty."
Question on this point.

Isn't there really an issue of preventive maintainance? In other words, you don't wait to change your car's engine oil just because it still runs well.

That said, I can't recall a single post by anyone here saying that they incurred a larger than normal service charge because they exceeded the recommended service interval and part a, b, or c was damaged etc. No scolding with a "pay me now or pay me later" tone from the RSC.

Your thoughts.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2008, 04:35 AM   #20
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Question on this point.

Isn't there really an issue of preventive maintainance? In other words, you don't wait to change your car's engine oil just because it still runs well.

That said, I can't recall a single post by anyone here saying that they incurred a larger than normal service charge because they exceeded the recommended service interval and part a, b, or c was damaged etc. No scolding with a "pay me now or pay me later" tone from the RSC.

Your thoughts.
Well yes, and I DO believe in preventative maintenance. But my point is that, like a car, there are two ways of looking at it. Normal use and "severe duty." If it was my only watch, and I wore the heck out of it, I would service it in a 5-7 year interval, whereas since I own two of them I wear along with my Omega, I think (unless there is some sort of malfunction) pushing that out to 7-10 years makes sense. Furthermore, I read somewhere recently that because Omega has increased the recommended service intervals of their Co-Axial movement watches, Rolex has changed their recommendation to 7-years to remain more competitive in that area.

I serviced my Omega at 7.5 years, and would have waited longer, except that it was losing time. Service was still reasonable, and no major repairs were needed.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2008, 07:01 AM   #21
Earl Camembert
Banned

Rolex watches are air and water tight so the oils are sealed in and should last much longer than 5 years.
Earl Camembert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2008, 01:16 PM   #22
blackeagle

Modern lubricants are light years ahead of where they were 10-15 years ago, but the service recommendation for Rolex has not changed for decades.
blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2008, 05:43 AM   #23
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Modern lubricants are light years ahead of where they were 10-15 years ago, but the service recommendation for Rolex has not changed for decades.
It makes the register ring.
Old 9 May 2008, 05:46 AM   #24
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Take a look at this, it was serviced by RSC UK and is pristine

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=39862
Old 9 May 2008, 06:01 AM   #25
watchnut
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona & TT DJ
Quote:
True, true. They might not change the "official position" but my AD recommended more like 7-10 years when I bought mine. Given these kinds of costs, $550 for most, $800 for Daytona, no way am I going with 5 years. I use Mobil one in my cars and expect better protection than dino oil.
watchnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2008, 03:34 AM   #26
samuel002

I just bought my first Sub last week,
of course it is way too early for service.

i bought it from the big T near Penn Station NYC (34th st & 7th ave),
so when serivce is needed, should I bring it to the T or the RSC
which both two are very near in distance.
samuel002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2008, 11:11 AM   #27
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel002 View Post
I just bought my first Sub last week,
of course it is way too early for service.

i bought it from the big T near Penn Station NYC (34th st & 7th ave),
so when serivce is needed, should I bring it to the T or the RSC
which both two are very near in distance.
Go to Rolex USA, they have free chocolate.
Old 10 May 2008, 11:37 AM   #28
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
I wonder what's preferable - RSC or my AD who has a Rolex trained watchmaker?
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2008, 11:50 AM   #29
pwrslider
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ View Post
Well yes, and I DO believe in preventative maintenance. But my point is that, like a car, there are two ways of looking at it. Normal use and "severe duty." If it was my only watch, and I wore the heck out of it, I would service it in a 5-7 year interval, whereas since I own two of them I wear along with my Omega, I think (unless there is some sort of malfunction) pushing that out to 7-10 years makes sense. Furthermore, I read somewhere recently that because Omega has increased the recommended service intervals of their Co-Axial movement watches, Rolex has changed their recommendation to 7-years to remain more competitive in that area.

I serviced my Omega at 7.5 years, and would have waited longer, except that it was losing time. Service was still reasonable, and no major repairs were needed.
Agreed!! I rotate my collection ( about 10-12) daily or weekly. Just getting my first watch serviced at RSC...and I got that in 99.
Rolex Explorer II Blk (91)
Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish (07)
Panerai 104 & 177ti ( 04/03)
pwrslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 07:04 AM   #30
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
I wonder what's preferable - RSC or my AD who has a Rolex trained watchmaker?
What is preferable depends on your values. Rolex does not train watchmakers unless they work for Rolex and there are not many, they do support watchmaking schools though. Just by that AD saying they have a Rolex trained watchmaker would make me suspicious. Ask them to prove it.

That said there are many fine watchmakers that can have your Rolex running like new but be prepared to spend $300 just for cleaning and testing. Parts will be extra and may be after-market or hand made if necessary. Any non Rolex part will make your Rolex watch illegal according to Rolex and Rolex will refuse to work on it unless they replace the part. If there is an after-market diamond on the dial Rolex will insist on changing the dial and they will keep the old dial. I assume they give back the diamond.

If you ever sell the watch having a paper trail from Rolex will increase the value. If you just want a good running watch and don't intend to sell it a third party repair is just as good.