The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 24 December 2006, 02:40 PM   #1
JRnorCal
"TRF" Member

Grandpa's Watch...Omega *pics*

I was lucky enough for my Grandpa to give me one of his watches as a present earlier this year. I know nothing about watches honestly, but have heard Omega is one of the nice brands out there. I'd love to know some history on the watch, and if I can find out what year it was made that would be great. My Dad just had it polished and cleaned up a little for me for Christmas so it's looking pretty nice Also, how would I find out the value of the watch? I would never sell it, but I'd like to know the value.

Thanks guys/gals!

JRnorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2006, 03:30 PM   #2
Goldsplinter

I'm not really an Omega guy, but that looks pretty freakin nice. Anyone else agree?
Goldsplinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2006, 04:13 PM   #3
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
At first glance it looks like a Cal. 861 speedmaster Professional, which Omega started to make around '68. Also, that caseback looks like a 'post-moon' one, which they adopted after the moon landing and made until the early 70's.

However, I'm too sure about that bracelet. Looks to be from an earlier model of speedmaster, the non-pro Cal. 321. The newer ones such as yours had a more curved, almost jubilee-style bracelet.

Fantastic, timeless watch IMO. You're a lucky guy and your grandpa is a man of great taste!
Old 24 December 2006, 04:23 PM   #4
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I don't know squat about Omega, though many here do, but I do know that grandpa had some great taste.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2006, 06:58 PM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi JR,

Welcome to TRF. That OMEGA is a vintage classic. Hang on to it, pal. I think it could be one of the most sentimental and precious things in your possession.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2006, 08:21 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Hi JR,

Welcome to TRF. That OMEGA is a vintage classic. Hang on to it, pal. I think it could be one of the most sentimental and precious things in your possession.

Cheers - JJ
Got to agree with JJ on that one if my Granddad gave that watch to me it would be priceless,like the one my father left me.Welcome to TRF, Omega used the the column wheel cal. 321 until about 1968 and is the more collectable one. And the cam and shuttle cal. 861 thereafter. Both were good movements, but the 321 is the more collectible of the two.Now with the 321's all had an applied metal Omega logo on the dial.Yours is written so a later model with the Cal 861 so its after 1968.In truth, Omega brought in the 861 because it had fewer parts than the 321 and it was cheaper to produce and service,but IMHO the cal 321 a better movement.Now as to a value Cal 861 Speedys are around shop prices $1300-$1500,with the Cal 321 add $300-$500.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2006, 09:43 PM   #7
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Welcome to TRF That Speedy Pro is priceless just because your grandfather gave it to you. It's a great watch too.
Old 24 December 2006, 09:46 PM   #8
mamas
"TRF" Member

I agree with most of what Padi and Otis have said. It is a really nice piece and one that you should treasure. i would say such a piece is probably wrth closer to the $1500 mark. It is possible that it does have a 321 movement in as i have seen a few speedies without the applied omega logo with cal 321. If it did have that then i would say worth closer to the $2000 mark.. although as others have said it most likely contains the 861 movement.
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2006, 12:32 AM   #9
mike
"TRF" Member

Welcome! What a priceless heirloom! I would also guess it to be a cal. 861. Here's mine for comparison, circa 1977.

mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2006, 06:30 AM   #10
JRnorCal
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the kind words and welcomes! I also appreciate all the info given! I'll definately keep this watch forever. Fortunately my Grandpa is still alive and pretty healthy for being 86 years old :) My Dad was given a Rolex from my Grandpa as a graduation present when he was younger, it still looks like new. Thanks again! - Joe
Old 25 December 2006, 06:39 AM   #11
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
One day you can pass this watch down to your grandson and give the history of it. I recommend having Grandpa tell some stories of his heyday activities, and write them down. Then when you look at the watch it will have much more meaning.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2006, 07:31 AM   #12
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
You'll have to post another pic of your Omega and your Dads Rolex together!
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2006, 05:00 PM   #13
JRnorCal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
One day you can pass this watch down to your grandson and give the history of it. I recommend having Grandpa tell some stories of his heyday activities, and write them down. Then when you look at the watch it will have much more meaning.
That's a great idea I already think of a story of him and my grandma riding his Indian motorcycle when they were dating in the freezing cold, ha.