The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18 April 2008, 11:04 AM   #1
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Rolex Air King 114200 SASO

Hey guys,

Finally got my new AK! Here's what I think, in case anyone's interested...

Rolex Air King Silver dial, arabic numerals, domed bezel:

Price:

About $3,400 - it's a quality watch but you have to think that it's got a lot to do with the brand than for cutting edge tech or materials.

Size:

34mm - the case width is practically the same as my datejust which means you need some kind of measuring tool to really tell the difference. From lug to lug though, it's shorter than the datejust. But they share the same thickness from what I can tell. Right now, it's the smallest watch I have. It looks tiny next to my Breitling SuperOcean.

Size was a big issue for me but honestly, I'm liking how it looks on my wrist. It looks right. By modern standards, it would be considered small but I see this more as a fashion thing since back when the Air King was launched 32-33mm watches were considered normal or even big - there were big guys back then too and I'm only 5'9" so I'm no giant. Anyway, I still have those bigger watches for those times I'm feeling "insecure." haha!

Weight:

I'm not sure exactly how much it weighs but it feels heavier than the datejust most probably due to the fact that my old watch has a jubilee bracelet, while this has a solid oyster bracelet. I like how it feels on my wrist more than the datejust. It's the combination of the weight and that smooth oyster bracelet that makes it feel really comfortable to wear.

Design:

Plain, simple, classic. It's a no-nonsense watch that goes with anything. This is what I wanted. I looked at the Tag Heuer Carrera and Omega Aqua Terra along with the Air King. On line they all look good but I made my decision based on the belief that the Rolex came first when it comes to that style.

Good thing too, since when I tried the Tag on, it looked like it was a notch down in terms of build quality. The Omega, however was a close runner up but I didn't like that it was styled flashier. Again, I didn't want a flashy watch.

Box:

Ok, they could've done better in this department. I was expecting something more like the box that my datejust came with which looks really good. This box looks kinda cheap with that plastic wave design thing on top. Minor issue I guess, since I didn't buy this for the box. Still, I wouldn't mind a smaller box as long as it was designed tastefully.

Luminescence:

This watch has very good night time visibility. What else can I say?

Summary:

I was hoping to round-out my watch collection with a simple go anywhere, do anything type of watch and I believe I found it with the Air King. I was concerned with the size but I now realize it's not an issue. I wouldn't wear something smaller than this, though. It's very comfortable on the wrist, I think it's the most comfortable watch I have right now in terms of weight and bracelet design.

Practically, the only things that would bring this thing down would be the price and the box design. I think it could be priced cheaper. $3200 would be right. But I guess resale value and the fact that I might use this the most, more than makes up for it. I follow the simple price:utility ratio when I make an investment. I think the use I'll get from this watch covers for the price I paid for it.

As for the box, it looks cheap. I used to have a Tag Heuer that came with a better box. But in the end, it's the watch that matters most and I foresee this as being my main watch for a very long time.

regards,

lorsban
lorsban is offline   Reply With Quote