The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 17 March 2012, 12:20 AM   #1
A.Sharp
"TRF" Member

ps. What do you do when a watch sits in the display for two years? also are the watches on consignment from rolex?
Old 18 March 2012, 06:37 AM   #2
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Sharp View Post
ps. What do you do when a watch sits in the display for two years? also are the watches on consignment from rolex?
Apologies, didn't see this first time round. It's very rare for us to have a watch in stock that long, but when one does, the manager has a bigger incentive to move it on. Over here, an allocation of watches is offered to a dealership from Rolex on a monthly basis - the dealership chooses the ones that it needs, and then they are sent from Rolex. Certainly steel sports models are only available through the allocations, but other models can be special ordered as well if a client wanted a particular combination

Chris
Old 17 March 2012, 12:30 AM   #3
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Sharp View Post
Random Serial? how do you feel? Sure, its ok now becuase it suggests 'NEW' for us. And sure it will make the watch hold more resale value later on. Not to mention it probably helps with watches that sit in the display case for a year or two. But what about in 5 years? how will you know what your buying?
I think the random serial system is a good thing. The old style case stamps are a pretty unreliable way to date the production of a watch with the exception of the strongest selling steel sports models. You can see it all the time on here, there's a fundamental misunderstanding of the whole system - an M serial does not, for example, signify a watch that was made in 2007, it signifies roughly when the case was stamped. Cases aren't immediately turned into watches after they've been stamped, and could well have been sitting on the shelf waiting for quite a period of time before being made into the finished product.

As far as Rolex is concerned, one of their watches is brand new until the moment a customer pays for it, and the warranty card is signed. With modern synthetic oils, a watch doesn't go off whilst sitting in the window - they tend to get moved around a fair bit as well, so it's not as if they'd be sitting there without running for extended periods of times. Certainly it might make things a bit more difficult for the second hand market if the warranty card goes missing, but the whole box and paperwork mantra has been drilled into people so much now, how many people actually sell without the original paperwork?

In any case, I'll be glad to see serial number hysteria die down a bit: I certainly won't miss the whole "will a V-serial or a M-serial be more valuable" nonsense. The dating system was a good idea for rough estimates, the problem is that people take it as gospel now instead

Hope this answers your question,

Chris
Old 17 March 2012, 02:31 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
I think the random serial system is a good thing. The old style case stamps are a pretty unreliable way to date the production of a watch with the exception of the strongest selling steel sports models. You can see it all the time on here, there's a fundamental misunderstanding of the whole system - an M serial does not, for example, signify a watch that was made in 2007, it signifies roughly when the case was stamped. Cases aren't immediately turned into watches after they've been stamped, and could well have been sitting on the shelf waiting for quite a period of time before being made into the finished product.

As far as Rolex is concerned, one of their watches is brand new until the moment a customer pays for it, and the warranty card is signed. With modern synthetic oils, a watch doesn't go off whilst sitting in the window - they tend to get moved around a fair bit as well, so it's not as if they'd be sitting there without running for extended periods of times. Certainly it might make things a bit more difficult for the second hand market if the warranty card goes missing, but the whole box and paperwork mantra has been drilled into people so much now, how many people actually sell without the original paperwork?

In any case, I'll be glad to see serial number hysteria die down a bit: I certainly won't miss the whole "will a V-serial or a M-serial be more valuable" nonsense. The dating system was a good idea for rough estimates, the problem is that people take it as gospel now instead

Hope this answers your question,

Chris
Amen to that one Chris the Internet today has made the importance of a case stamp more important than the watch and movement inside. With some now buying and paying more money for a case stamp, thinking that particular case stamp makes it a more valuable Rolex watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 17 March 2012, 03:56 AM   #5
Timber Loftis
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,DJII,P244,A1-Z
Quote:
As far as Rolex is concerned, one of their watches is brand new until the moment a customer pays for it, and the warranty card is signed. With modern synthetic oils, a watch doesn't go off whilst sitting in the window - they tend to get moved around a fair bit as well, so it's not as if they'd be sitting there without running for extended periods of times.
I'm sorry but I can't buy this reasoning. I especially don't understand your second sentence here, where you say that the modern oils the watch doesn't "age" while sitting, yet it's still good that they get moved around and don't sit without running for extended periods.

So... your logic dictates that the watch doesn't age whilst not running, nor while running, so long as it's in a dealer's possession. Yet, when I buy it, it magically starts aging and needs to be serviced in 5 year intervals.

I don't follow.
Old 20 December 2010, 05:10 AM   #6
NMS75

Watch: 16610 & 116710LN
Chris

What is the supply like for the new SS SubC? Not that I am looking to buy one right now but say I came in to you AD on Monday and told you I wanted to purchase one how long would I expect to have to wait for one to be available?

M
Old 20 December 2010, 05:24 AM   #7
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS75 View Post
Chris

What is the supply like for the new SS SubC? Not that I am looking to buy one right now but say I came in to you AD on Monday and told you I wanted to purchase one how long would I expect to have to wait for one to be available?

M
Supply for the Sub-C is very good, we've been getting two a month since launch. If you came to me tomorrow, I would say "here's the watch, congratulations!"
Old 20 December 2010, 05:24 AM   #8
RIWatcher

how does Rolex determine what is vintage, is it a rolling time period like they use for antique cars?
Old 20 December 2010, 05:30 AM   #9
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIWatcher View Post
how does Rolex determine what is vintage, is it a rolling time period like they use for antique cars?
Could you clarify that a bit for me?
Old 20 December 2010, 05:24 AM   #10
Speed
"TRF" Member

Chris...amazing how things differ across the Pond...or when compared to Asia.

When I was at Jack Road in Tokyo this past spring, the Black Dial SS Daytonas were at a $1,000 or more USD premium over white dials. I could have gotten a pristine M series White for $8,600 USD.
Old 20 December 2010, 05:32 AM   #11
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Chris...amazing how things differ across the Pond...or when compared to Asia.

When I was at Jack Road in Tokyo this past spring, the Black Dial SS Daytonas were at a $1,000 or more USD premium over white dials. I could have gotten a pristine M series White for $8,600 USD.
Geographic location plays a very big part, cultural differences really affect what's popular. It's another fascinating aspect of watches and watch collecting
Old 20 December 2010, 05:52 AM   #12
hhh007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Does Rolex have any official policy regarding their AD's selling pre-owned Rolex watches or selling/installing individual dials or other cosmetic parts to the public? I used to see many years ago that some AD's had showcases just for pre-owned and showcases filled with various dials and bracelets they would sell and install on an exchange basis, and I never see that anymore.
Explorer I 114270
Old 20 December 2010, 05:58 AM   #13
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh007 View Post
Does Rolex have any official policy regarding their AD's selling pre-owned Rolex watches or selling/installing individual dials or other cosmetic parts to the public? I used to see many years ago that some AD's had showcases just for pre-owned and showcases filled with various dials and bracelets they would sell and install on an exchange basis, and I never see that anymore.
Rolex are happy to allow ADs to sell pre-owned watches, just as long as they are displayed seperately from the new Rolexes (i.e. not in the same cabinet, or using Rolex display material). As for parts, Rolex UK are a little bit more open with their parts policy, but for dials, it is strictly on an exchange basis. It's very much a grey area for other parts, though, and not something I'm that well versed on, I'm afraid
Old 20 December 2010, 06:00 AM   #14
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Wonderful thread! My question is: Why does the Turn-O-Graph seem to be unpopular. I've worn an AK, Dj and a Sub for years, but the new TOG was 'love at first sight'. Any ideas or opinions? Thanks, Mark.
Old 20 December 2010, 06:03 AM   #15
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmp View Post
Wonderful thread! My question is: Why does the Turn-O-Graph seem to be unpopular. I've worn an AK, Dj and a Sub for years, but the new TOG was 'love at first sight'. Any ideas or opinions? Thanks, Mark.
Another good question. It's hard to say for sure, but my suspicion is that people see it as caught between two roles - it doesn't know if it's a dress watch or a sports watch. With certain watches, there is always going to be just a niche following, and the TOG is one of them, unfortunately. It's certainly one I find difficult to sell personally
Old 20 December 2010, 06:10 AM   #16
Speed
"TRF" Member

Real sporting of you to start this thread Chris!!!

Hope you get a break soon
Old 20 December 2010, 06:13 AM   #17
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Real sporting of you to start this thread Chris!!!

Hope you get a break soon
Agreed Bill.......

But I'm thinking Chris is starting to say to himself right now, "What have I done??":thumbsu p:

You are a good guy Chris!

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
Old 20 December 2010, 06:17 AM   #18
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
Agreed Bill.......

But I'm thinking Chris is starting to say to himself right now, "What have I done??":thumbsu p:

You are a good guy Chris!
Cheers Rob, but I honestly don't mind, the quality of questions have been really great! Just glad to be doing my bit for the forum
Old 20 December 2010, 06:19 AM   #19
FinbarSaunders

Watch: Rolex GMT-IIc
Hi Chris,
Great thread, thanks for all the great info.

My Qs are:
- What is availability like on the new SubC-lv? Have you had any deliveries, and if so, do they go straight to 'waiting list' customers?
- Or have you had any to put in the shop window?
- Have you discounted any SubC-lv's? Or is it always RRP? :-)

Cheers!
Old 20 December 2010, 06:33 AM   #20
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinbarSaunders View Post
Hi Chris,
Great thread, thanks for all the great info.

My Qs are:
- What is availability like on the new SubC-lv? Have you had any deliveries, and if so, do they go straight to 'waiting list' customers?
- Or have you had any to put in the shop window?
- Have you discounted any SubC-lv's? Or is it always RRP? :-)

Cheers!
Hi Phil,

Availability has been decent on the LV, we received one on our allocation yesterday. We've cleared our waiting list, so it is sitting in the window, waiting to find a good home. As for discount, I don't know on that one, as I wasn't about when the last couple were sold
Old 20 December 2010, 07:01 AM   #21
FinbarSaunders

Watch: Rolex GMT-IIc
Quote:
Hi Phil,

Availability has been decent on the LV, we received one on our allocation yesterday. We've cleared our waiting list, so it is sitting in the window, waiting to find a good home. As for discount, I don't know on that one, as I wasn't about when the last couple were sold
Oooh, I know somewhere where there would be a good home....

(/Rummages down the back of the sofa for some coins/.... I'm sure the kids will be fine with not getting any Christmas presents this year... ).
Old 20 December 2010, 07:00 AM   #22
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Thanks Chris. I also have done a few Q & A sessions in my field (feature film colour correction) and it's always rewarding to give insight into areas the general public or devotees simply cannot find solid infomation. Best for the new year mate.
Old 20 December 2010, 07:21 AM   #23
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
How often do you run into the "WIS-buyer" ? How long does it take to notice that the person standing in front of you is a WIS; about how many questions does it take (that they ask) and how many does it take for you to find out (that you ask to come to the "aha, your a WIS" moment)??

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
Old 20 December 2010, 08:52 AM   #24
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELINOX View Post
How often do you run into the "WIS-buyer" ? How long does it take to notice that the person standing in front of you is a WIS; about how many questions does it take (that they ask) and how many does it take for you to find out (that you ask to come to the "aha, your a WIS" moment)??
As I said in an earlier post, maybe 10% are what I'd describe as a WIS-buyer. I can normally tell within a few minutes - you can pick up on their knowledge from the kinds of questions they ask. It's hard to describ, but I guess I must have developed WIS-dar
Old 20 December 2010, 08:59 AM   #25
Tank102

Quote:
As I said in an earlier post, maybe 10% are what I'd describe as a WIS-buyer. I can normally tell within a few minutes - you can pick up on their knowledge from the kinds of questions they ask. It's hard to describ, but I guess I must have developed WIS-dar
What is a WIS buyer?
Old 20 December 2010, 09:05 AM   #26
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank102 View Post
What is a WIS buyer?
WIS stands for watch idiot savant - basically, people like us It's basically the really, really serious collectors
Old 5 April 2011, 01:20 AM   #27
joejeweler

Watch: Rolex 114060 Sub
Hehehe,....and here i thought i had figured out a "WIS" buyer was a
"Well Informed Serious" buyer.

Quote:
WIS stands for watch idiot savant - basically, people like us It's basically the really, really serious collectors
Old 20 December 2010, 07:35 AM   #28
Lucy Diamond
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1966 Pepsi
Just wanted to add my note of thanks to the OP.....really enjoyed hearing what you have had to say.
Old 20 December 2010, 07:53 AM   #29
Tank102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
Just wanted to add my note of thanks to the OP.....really enjoyed hearing what you have had to say.
X2. It is fun to see viewpoints from the other side of the counter.
Old 20 December 2010, 08:33 AM   #30
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
is it still snowing where you are?;)

P.S i followed ypu on twitter about a month ago. and you followed me back.. @tophstewart incase you are wondering?

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
Closed Thread