The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 December 2021, 11:58 AM   #1
sq1marrero
"TRF" Member

Should I wait? Building AD relationship tips

Hello everyone, new to the forum here
Im turning 30 in less than a month and as a memorable birthday gift to myself I decided to pull the trigger on one of my favorite rolex (skydweller blue dial ref# 326934) I was committed to pay the mark up price but as I do more and more research (this forum included) now Im not sure if I really want to pay over 100% mark up, running at +$31k at the moment. These same watches 7 months ago were around $26k and a year ago around $23k. At this point Im not even sure if they will ever come down a bit or just keep going up. I have no experience dealing with a solid AD, I have bought a few watches from Mayors in the past and signed up for their waiting list which to be honest Im not sure how accurate that was since all I got was the salesman's word and he doesn't even work there no more. Im planning on visiting a local Rolex store in Miami and talk to them to try to establish a relationship, any tips on this? I don't mind buying other pieces from them here and there if only they had some inventory.......LOL
I know its impossible to say but from your experience how long is usually a waiting list for a blue sky dweller? I honestly don't mind waiting a couple of years if at least I get some guarantee that I will get the watch eventually......I will really love to have the watch right now but paying double the price for it just kind of bothers me!
Any tips will help.....
sq1marrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 12:43 PM   #2
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Hi, OP, welcome to the forum. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but the probability of getting a blue dial sky dweller from an AD is zero.

I see you have been revising pricing over a short while and have noted that the price is creeping up. This isn’t just the Rolex you are looking at, but rather every Rolex has increased over the 18-24 months.

There is no waiting list per se. It doesn’t work that you visit an AD and add yourself to a list and expect to get a highly sought after watch. How it works is you become a client, you form a rapport, its called “creating a relationship” on this forum. After a series of purchases (of whatever they sell) you may be assigned a watch you are seeking, but that blue dial SD is ultra rare, super tough to get and you’d need extensive purchase history to even remotely be considered.

I have an AD contact at Mayors in Miami who is a good friend. However, there is zero chance that he could get you this exact watch at retail. Possibly another variant, but not that one without some kind of buying history with him. If you’re interested just drop me a pm and I’ll give you his contact details.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 12:46 PM   #3
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Nobody can tell you if it’s worth it to pay extra or wait.

The prices probably won’t go up much. They probably won’t go down much. It’s about a 3-4 year waitlist ballpark guess.

Do what ya wanna do. It’s one of the rarest and most hyped watches right now and who knows in 1-2-3 years they might release something you’ll want even more. Wouldn’t be surprised to see an olive dial Skydwellar break the forums next year.
Old 21 December 2021, 12:59 PM   #4
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Hard to say, also depends on your specific AD. I have heard that the Blue Sky is even more difficult to obtain than the SS Daytona. I also know someone who waited years and never received the Blue Sky even with a solid relationship, he did eventually settle for the white dial Skydweller when offered just a couple months ago though.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 01:12 PM   #5
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Ugh
Old 21 December 2021, 01:17 PM   #6
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I think inadeje nailed it.

No one without significant buying history is getting a SkyD blue dial from an AD. The wait would be infinite.

The consensus is this is the toughest Rolex SS to get at an AD. The list of people wanting a white dial SS Daytona may be longer, but the Ads get fewer SlyD blue dials than SS Daytona’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 01:18 PM   #7
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Try it on first. The sky dweller is a fascinating Complication but it’s wrist presence does not work well on everyone.

It’s unlikely you will receive this at list unless you have an established relationship. The price is not likely to go down

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 01:23 PM   #8
SaintMickey
Banned

Mayors is the worst.
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 01:38 PM   #9
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Once you come to the realization that Rolex watches are rewards to good customers (this includes grey dealers who buy lots of inventory), and many ADs don't have sequencial waiting lists because they get 100 calls a day from guys like you, the quicker you can figure out building an AD relationship means spending loads of money there.

I posted my experience getting a new Sub if you want to search me. Getting a retail Skydweller would require more money unless you get lucky. That's not to say it couldn't happen but it won't happen.

My advice is only deal with one sales person but get to know their manager by name, even the owner if you can, and always bring in your family. That's what I did and I get dibs on a Pepsi or stainless Daytona (not both) when I decide to buy.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 01:56 PM   #10
ks58
Banned

Getting a blue skydweller is almost impossible. Not sure why there aren't many around.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 01:58 PM   #11
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Maybe you should tell your AD you're hoping to have it to celebrate your 60th...
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 02:27 PM   #12
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Everyone is on point here OP. Ive heard the same. Harder to get than a SS Daytona due to their scarcity.

Logic would dictate you would have to be one of the ADs best customers to snag one.

Try one on and see how you like it then decide. I would probably go grey if I were you and don’t look back.
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 03:48 PM   #13
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Yep. My AD, who sold me a Daytona as my first piece, said “absolutely impossible “ when I inquired about a blue SkyD. he politely suggested I consider other colors

Like you,I decided I would pay 30k for one. Then, I realized that’s nearly day date money, so I plan to buy one of those instead.
Old 21 December 2021, 03:57 PM   #14
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq1marrero View Post
I honestly don't mind waiting a couple of years if at least I get some guarantee that I will get the watch eventually......
Join the Rolex soup kitchen line .Welcome ! Bring a chair ,its a long wait .

I always make a point of wearing Panerai when taking pics of folks in the lines in front of the Rolex store .

TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 04:05 PM   #15
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq1marrero View Post
Hello everyone, new to the forum here
Im turning 30 in less than a month and as a memorable birthday gift to myself I decided to pull the trigger on one of my favorite rolex (skydweller blue dial ref# 326934) I was committed to pay the mark up price but as I do more and more research (this forum included) now Im not sure if I really want to pay over 100% mark up, running at +$31k at the moment. These same watches 7 months ago were around $26k and a year ago around $23k. At this point Im not even sure if they will ever come down a bit or just keep going up. I have no experience dealing with a solid AD, I have bought a few watches from Mayors in the past and signed up for their waiting list which to be honest Im not sure how accurate that was since all I got was the salesman's word and he doesn't even work there no more. Im planning on visiting a local Rolex store in Miami and talk to them to try to establish a relationship, any tips on this? I don't mind buying other pieces from them here and there if only they had some inventory.......LOL
I know its impossible to say but from your experience how long is usually a waiting list for a blue sky dweller? I honestly don't mind waiting a couple of years if at least I get some guarantee that I will get the watch eventually......I will really love to have the watch right now but paying double the price for it just kind of bothers me!
Any tips will help.....
You and thousands others want essentially 15K free money from an AD.
Why should he give that to you ?
You need to pay up one way or the other
Old 21 December 2021, 04:19 PM   #16
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
You and thousands others want essentially 15K free money from an AD.
Why should he give that to you ?
You need to pay up one way or the other
Does a SkyD come with $15k as part of the deal?
I'm confused
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 04:23 PM   #17
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Does a SkyD come with $15k as part of the deal?
I'm confused
If you flip it yes
Old 21 December 2021, 05:21 PM   #18
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Maybe you should tell your AD you're hoping to have it to celebrate your 60th...
This
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 05:36 PM   #19
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Hire a private eye and have him follow around all of the general managers of all of the ADs in town. They cannot all be squeaky clean. You are likely to find something and then lean on them. Instant Daytona.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 08:10 PM   #20
Societas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Blue SkyD
Hi there, I must be the exception to confirm the rule. I got a Blue SkyD as first ever Rolex and first ever purchase in a large AD in Paris France back in April 2021.
Took me around 18 months, it was for my engagement gift. At some point got offered white dial but declined it.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more I think I got lucky.

Never saw one in the wild in Paris streets.
My full post telling the story of how I got it is below:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...4#post11664074
Societas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 10:14 PM   #21
sq1marrero
"TRF" Member

wow! just read your story. You not only passed on the white dial but also on the Blue DJ41. You must be the luckiest guy in the entire forum LOL
Congrats on the beautiful watch!!
sq1marrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 10:20 PM   #22
Parapraxis
"TRF" Member

The only hope you have, and it's a slim chance at that, is:

Go in, meet the manager, and tell him straight up I want the SkyD blue dial. What else from your store do I need to buy to get it? 50k later in jewelry and maybe you'll have a chance at it. Although I wouldn't hold my breath
Parapraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 10:21 PM   #23
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
You are late to the AD/Relationship game. It does not mean that you can not develop one but it is based on time and money spent. Your post is about money and the price of a watch that can not be had for less than Grey Market prices. Why the Blue Dial? It is beautiful but it is also hyped beyond belief and is a major flex if you can get one. The black/white dial version are the same watch and are still a flex and might be more versatile based on color than the blue. But it is about the blue and I understand. You must pay to play and find one from our Trusted Sellers, negotiate and get your best price, pay, have the watch by tomorrow at lunch and start the ownership experience. These watches typically do not get cheaper as your research reveals so act now or pay more later. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 11:50 PM   #24
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Buy now or it’ll just get worse. Bought my Daytona last year for $23k. It was a hard pill to swallow but I look at the prices now and know I couldn’t pull the trigger with current market prices and happy I bought when I did.
Old 21 December 2021, 11:55 PM   #25
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I went on my AD's list for a blue Sky Dweller at the end of October. When it turns up I will announce it. Past that it's impossible to speculate because there are so many variables between regions, people and ADs.

Like you, I won't pay the present grey premium. I'd pay some, but it's got too high for me.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 12:08 AM   #26
johnwigan
Banned

I would recommend putting your name down and waiting. Despite what people say on these boards supply and prices will return to normality when the COVID pandemic is over and government reigns in stimulus and spending. This will happen at some point.

You would be buying at the worst possible time and should be prepared to lose money if you do decide to do that. Would you be happy paying double for a second hand watch when they become available brand new again at ADs at RRP? Also, you will have no purchase history with your AD. The flipper will get that.

There are shortages of all sorts of things at the moment. Prices are inflated across the board. Property, shares etc etc. Inflation up and up. Normality will return at some point. This is 100% certain.

Those saying prices will continue increasing and increasing and never come down are dealers, flippers, people who have paid crazy prices or just plain ignorant of economics and history.

Do yourself a favour and don't throw your money away. And remember there are risks to buying second hand: watches can have dials changed, be messed around with to increase the value, even be reported stolen. Particularly, at this time when prices are crazy.
johnwigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 12:19 AM   #27
Harry hayre
"TRF" Member

I got the blue sky after waiting for 11 months but i also bought a yg dd 40 too so sure that helped. Was at ad the other day and he said even yg dd are about 1 year wait now
Harry hayre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 12:31 AM   #28
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post
Mayors is the worst.
Omg, that’s so true. My son told me they “pretty womaned” me when I asked about the JC DSSD in 2015. The sales guy there said they could not get one and walked away. Got one from another south Fla dealer.
Old 22 December 2021, 01:22 AM   #29
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I am currently foul and bitter to the whole relationship bullshit song (longer story for another thread), but as mentioned in previous posts you are extraordinarily unlikely to get a blue Skydweller from an AD at MSRP. Move past that notion.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 02:49 AM   #30
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
Welcome OP. It’s tough getting watches from the AD without prior relationship. It doesn’t hurt though to walk in and tell them your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
azs.77 is offline   Reply With Quote