The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 August 2011, 04:59 PM   #1
colker45
"TRF" Member

The Submariner - A Redundant Icon ??

Ever since I developed my taste in wristwatches and fully understood the Rolex brand I've loved the Submariner. I've owned 4 different versions of this watch and still wear a 16613 to this day, but for me in can never be bettered in it's original form. I have always thought of it as the 'blueprint' for every subsequent sports watch from Rolex and indeed all manufacturers. The timeless, elegant beauty of it's black and stainless appearance coupled with it's rugged construction really do make this a watch for all occasions.
It is slightly sad however that apparently, today, less than 5% of these watches that are purchased even come close to fulfilling the function that they were originally designed for, which is principally as a diver's watch. Most of these watches never even see the inside of a shower or a swimming pool and that is a little sad. I suppose that's progress in a way, in a world of 'fit for purpose' equipment, diving companies such as Comex in the past, no longer see fit to issue they're employees with a £5,000 wristwatch and if they do surely the Sea Dweller is better suited to the diving professional. Recreational divers and water sports enthusiasts also dont seem to spend the amount of money on a watch that in most cases will eclipse the cost of the rest of their essential equipment, this now seems to be the home of the G Shock and Animal wearer.
So spare a thought for the poor Submariner, like a highly trained athlete who only ever jogs on a Sunday or a Ferrari purchased solely to pop down the shops, this is an item manufactured to the most meticulous standards and built to withstand the most demanding of environments that in the majority of cases never gets to fulfill it's real purpose. This is sad, but I suppose it doesn't really matter when you look that good !!!
colker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 05:09 PM   #2
le_baroudeur
"TRF" Member

thank you!
My new LV (OLD CASE, 16610LV) will see the sea, the pool, and all the stories of my life, as it is my only rolex. Do not worry, a lot of divers use their rolex diving, as it was intended!
Old 20 August 2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Fozzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I think of the Submariner as an expert in the field who has earned his place in history and can rest on his laurels for the future, though still has all that experience behind him if he's called in to action once again.
Fozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 06:43 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colker45 View Post
Ever since I developed my taste in wristwatches and fully understood the Rolex brand I've loved the Submariner. I've owned 4 different versions of this watch and still wear a 16613 to this day, but for me in can never be bettered in it's original form. I have always thought of it as the 'blueprint' for every subsequent sports watch from Rolex and indeed all manufacturers. The timeless, elegant beauty of it's black and stainless appearance coupled with it's rugged construction really do make this a watch for all occasions.
It is slightly sad however that apparently, today, less than 5% of these watches that are purchased even come close to fulfilling the function that they were originally designed for, which is principally as a diver's watch. Most of these watches never even see the inside of a shower or a swimming pool and that is a little sad. I suppose that's progress in a way, in a world of 'fit for purpose' equipment, diving companies such as Comex in the past, no longer see fit to issue they're employees with a £5,000 wristwatch and if they do surely the Sea Dweller is better suited to the diving professional. Recreational divers and water sports enthusiasts also dont seem to spend the amount of money on a watch that in most cases will eclipse the cost of the rest of their essential equipment, this now seems to be the home of the G Shock and Animal wearer.
So spare a thought for the poor Submariner, like a highly trained athlete who only ever jogs on a Sunday or a Ferrari purchased solely to pop down the shops, this is an item manufactured to the most meticulous standards and built to withstand the most demanding of environments that in the majority of cases never gets to fulfil it's real purpose. This is sad, but I suppose it doesn't really matter when you look that good !!!
Well the days of most Rolex being used as a TOOL WATCH disappeared many many years ago.Many Rolex wearers today just wear the brand,I would doubt if 90% of all dive type watches sold ever see water other that a shower or pool.And as for construction well Rolex is one of the toughest watches and made from one of the toughest metal known to man.But with the hundreds of questions like is it safe to do this or that.And the pampering now that many Rolex watches get today with special resting cloths and cleaning soaps etc.I sometimes wonder why Rolex took the time and testing to use these good grade steels like 904L, today with many they might as well make them from glass.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 07:20 PM   #5
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker45 View Post
So spare a thought for the poor Submariner, like a highly trained athlete who only ever jogs on a Sunday or a Ferrari purchased solely to pop down the shops, this is an item manufactured to the most meticulous standards and built to withstand the most demanding of environments that in the majority of cases never gets to fulfill it's real purpose. This is sad, but I suppose it doesn't really matter when you look that good !!!
I share your observation, but you must not forget that the Professional line of Rolex offers an opportunity to carry a watch that every day reminds us (me) of possibilities and opportunities of a different life style, perhaps a wanted life style.

In my case I have owned three Submariners, but have sold two since I always comes back to the thought that "I'm no diver", but I enjoy the style and use it for what it is for me: A look, a design, a style that makes me happy to see.

I also own other watches, and have been an Explorer fan since I first saw the 16550 (that I prefer more than the earlier 1655), and the 14270 (that I also prefer more than the 1016). But I haven't climbed Mt Everest or trekked any deserts...

But ... I do live an active life style, and I do climb, trekk, ski, cycle, etc etc and there is always an Explorer on my wrist as I do this. They are greatly legible watches and they give me a lot of pleasure from the style, usability and the fact that I am able to wear a quite expensive watch doing things I enjoy (a feeling of luxury). The fact is that I often return to the idea of doing things that allows my Explorers to do what they (in my mind) where built for.

Therefore my Explorers becomes a symbol, and enabler, for my actual and wanted lifestyle.

(Of course I would do what I do regardless of me wearing a Rolex or not, but now I am fortunate enought own several Rolexes, so why not use them...)

Just my thoughts.

Best,

A
acce1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 08:56 PM   #6
Darlinboy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: :hctaW
Well, I can't say my Sub is diving often, but I can say then when I'm diving, it's always there too!

When I'm at my desk, I can look at it and remember where I'd rather be.

Old 20 August 2011, 09:14 PM   #7
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
At the risk of upsetting everybody here and even though I own a Sub and am on the hunt for another one, I don't see any advantages of the Sub as a diver. I much rather go down with my Suunto Vyper.

Again, I own a Sub and consider it the perfect watch but as for diving .... I think Anders' "lifestyle" comment above is dead on.
masterserg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 09:15 PM   #8
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
There are a few of us out there that use it for what it was intended

I can honestly tell you that my 116619 WG Submariner will never be with me on a dive unless I win the lottery. However, my 14060M is an absolute tool watch. I rarely wear it unless I am diving. I don't care for dive computers so I ABSOLUTELY depend on it when I am in the ocean.

It is one of my best friends.

(BTW, it looks as if my dive bezel has not been set, but I started this dive at 10:02am)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
At the risk of upsetting everybody here and even though I own a Sub and am on the hunt for another one, I don't see any advantages of the Sub as a diver. I much rather go down with my Suunto Vyper.

Again, I own a Sub and consider it the perfect watch but as for diving .... I think Anders' "lifestyle" comment above is dead on.
So, what happens when you are in a foreign country on a dive trip and the battery in your Sunnto dies. You search all the small shops, and you cannot find a replacement battery. You are only 2 days into your dive trip. Do you give-up diving for the rest of the week? Rent a computer that you will be unfamiliar with? Buy a new computer? Take your chances and dive without a computer and dive tables that you are unfamiliar with since you have been diving a computer all these years?

I have had just this same scenario happen to me. No thank you, I dive the same way all the time now. Rock solid Rolex that is VERY unlikely to fail, back-up Rolex back in the hotel room, and Tables that I am VERY familiar with since I dive this way all the time.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 09:24 PM   #9
masterserg
"TRF" Member

That picture looks great! ^^^^^^^ love the red band!

For whatever reason my air consumption is not that steady so I feel safer having my profile on my wrist instead of going only by time. Personal preference.

I have redundant instruments and always carry spare batteries in my bag.

Guilty about the tables .... Fair point ....computers make you lazy, but these days my dives are mostly recreational and shallow... er (30m/90ft max).
Old 20 August 2011, 09:31 PM   #10
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
100 quid suunto does everything a 5k sub does , and a lot more.
i use the time lapse bezel to keep an eye on the time left on a parking meter / ticket. so to that effect it is still a tool watch.its just used on a different job now as there is a better tool to do the original job , lets face it , when did you last use a pump action stanley screwdriver , since cordless drill drivers became so cheap and handy.

red looks smart in the pic
oh , suunto also has a user replaceable battery , hth.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 09:33 PM   #11
Explorertwo
"TRF" Member

Watch: White 'n Black
I do wear my sub while diving... As a back- up. 'Cause let's face it: times are changing and nowadays a divingcomputer is state of art..
But enjoy the ruggedness of our wonderfull watches and the posdibility to enjoy it for decades and pass it on to the next generation!!
I love them for that!
Explorertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 09:35 PM   #12
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That picture looks great! ^^^^^^^ love the red band!

For whatever reason my air consumption is not that steady so I feel safer having my profile on my wrist instead of going only by time. Personal preference.
Thanks, but it is actually an orange NATO from Maratac.

I get what you are saying. It took me a number of years to realize that a computer is a crutch, and I was very nervous to dive without it. It took me diving with a diver that was MUCH MORE experienced than I. This particular diver is still the best diver that I have ever dove with, and is actually a member here on this forum. He was generous enough to teach me techniques to actually increase my bottom time diving without a computer, proper ascent profile, proper breathing, weight/trim management, proper fin kicks, and several other fundamentals of diving.

I strive to be as good of a diver as he.

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 20 August 2011, 09:39 PM   #13
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post

I get what you are saying. It took me a number of years to realize that a computer is a crutch, and I was very nervous to dive without it. It took me diving with a diver that was MUCH MORE experienced than I. This particular diver is still the best diver that I have ever dove with, and is actually a member here on this forum. He was generous enough to teach me techniques to actually increase my bottom time diving without a computer, proper ascent profile, proper breathing, weight/trim management, proper fin kicks, and several other fundamentals of diving.

I strive to be as good of a diver as he.
hi , im an instructor , and commercial diver , id be very interested to hear about these techniques .
Old 20 August 2011, 09:42 PM   #14
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
oh , suunto also has a user replaceable battery , hth.
Tom, if you read my post, I was in a foreign country and was UNABLE to find a replacement battery. Maybe I should have taken one with me before I left the states, but that is just one more thing to remember when packing dive gear. So now I was in the situation of having to make a decision:

1 -- Rent a computer from the dive shop
2 -- Cancel all the dives for the rest of the week
3 -- Dive tables/bottom timer. I was VERY uncomfortable with this. Most divers that dive with a computer forget how to use dive tables

I dove tables/bottom timer, but was not all that comfortable with it. Since that time, I have learned better how to dive safely with a Rolex using tables.

Quote:
hi , im an instructor , and commercial diver , id be very interested to hear about these techniques .
I don't want to get too far OT, but if you wish to exchange PMs, I would be happy to do so

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 20 August 2011, 09:44 PM   #15
The Joker
"TRF" Member

I don't think it's sad. These tool watch fantasies really eek me.

Bottom line is it's a fabulous looking watch, a true rolex icon, that's as tough as nails. It looks as good in the office as it does shovelling s**t(Where is grumpy anyway?)

Who cares if the owner gets it wet or not, it's his choice.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 09:46 PM   #16
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I get what you are saying. It took me a number of years to realize that a computer is a crutch, and I was very nervous to dive without it.
Can't argue there ... The computer is the biggest crutch there is and it would be very difficult for me to dive without one. I accept that and prefer the benefits it gives me. After all, I wouldn't be able to do most of the stuff I do at work without XL.

I am no Navy SEAL. I pick the tools that work best for me or make my life easier.
Old 20 August 2011, 09:49 PM   #17
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
If the Sub were only purchased by divers today, I'm sure it would not be as popular today as it has become.

When Rolex first marketted the watch like it did diving and exploration of the water was huge. I remember seeing Jacques Cousteau on TV and wanting to watch and see what things he was doing. Men were also going to the moon for the first time and exploration was huge in the 60's.

Times change, but I still think it is great that the Sub made it big enough to last through these different times. It's not only an Icon but very popular today as well, even if it is more of a luxury watch and not so much a tool watch in most peoples eyes.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 09:51 PM   #18
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

yep , its a bog standard watch battery , but i get your point , i never travel without a back up computer to avoid your situation. as a tough old beast i take a vr3 which as well as running off expensive and sometimes hard to get 3.6 lithiums will run of standard aa batterys that are available everywhere , although old now and big , a mono colour vr can be had for 200 sterling , a lot of computer at suunto prices. i use a shearwater pred , again hard to get batterys for , but i take a couple of spare in my triage kit in the same peli case. i totaly get what your saying in your post and when im in the water teaching i actually loop my 30quid casio onto a piece of webbing and loop it through a d ring on my harness same as i use if im teaching in the pool . still no o ring problems in two years but if i had it wouldnt be a loss.
thanks
tom
Old 20 August 2011, 09:53 PM   #19
Ebruner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118208
Like Jason I dive with all my Rolex divers except my YG Sub. The ONLY reason I don't dive with the Gold one is I don't want to drag it across some coral on a tight tunnel, or penetrating a wreck. I wear either s Sub, SD, DSSD, or BP FF each time I dive.

I dive with an Oceanic Pro Plus 2 computer, BUT I use my watch as a bottom timer, and mainly use my computer like a digital gauge console.

I choose to dive with my watches, some don't and thats fine.

On a side not I refuse to play Golf with a watch on. Go figure.

-Eddie
Old 20 August 2011, 09:58 PM   #20
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebruner View Post

On a side not I refuse to play Golf with a watch on. Go figure.

-Eddie
Funny........same here

I find it restrictive and uncomfortable.

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 20 August 2011, 10:01 PM   #21
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

i refuse to even try golf ,,, it looks way too adictive lol
Old 20 August 2011, 10:04 PM   #22
masterserg
"TRF" Member

I'll give it to you guys, if I'd be in the water more, I would make it a point to be free of technology. I just don't dive as much these days.
Old 20 August 2011, 10:10 PM   #23
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'll give it to you guys, if I'd be in the water more, I would make it a point to be free of technology. I just don't dive as much these days.
start freediving ,,, lol , not a lot of tech there .
the sub was tech once , guess it still is , just in a different way.
Old 20 August 2011, 10:12 PM   #24
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
start freediving ,,, lol , not a lot of tech there.

I meant tables, etc. I am spoiled now.
Old 20 August 2011, 10:25 PM   #25
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:

know what you mean , i teach bsac padi use us navy for comm , and a lot of other table , it does get a bit mind boggling ,,, but , there is always the two fail safe guides
bsac 2s , 22meters 22mins 2mins deco at 2meters .... not acurate but a quick aide memoir
or the famous fifty ,,, 40meters 10 mins bottom time ,,, numbers add to fifty and avoid deco ,,, ie 30m for 20 min , 20m for 30min etc ,,, just rough guides .... easily remembered
but as they say no substitute for tables computer/timmer an propper planning.
I meant tables, etc. I am spoiled now.
just a guide
Old 21 August 2011, 05:27 AM   #26
springbar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Quote:
So, what happens when you are in a foreign country on a dive trip and the battery in your Sunnto dies. You search all the small shops, and you cannot find a replacement battery. You are only 2 days into your dive trip. Do you give-up diving for the rest of the week? Rent a computer that you will be unfamiliar with? Buy a new computer? Take your chances and dive without a computer and dive tables that you are unfamiliar with since you have been diving a computer all these years?

I have had just this same scenario happen to me. No thank you, I dive the same way all the time now. Rock solid Rolex that is VERY unlikely to fail, back-up Rolex back in the hotel room, and Tables that I am VERY familiar with since I dive this way all the time.
Financially it makes much more sense to bring along a $3 spare battery, or even a spare computer, than a $6000 spare Rolex.

As tough as the Submariner is, a hard knock (say a drop of several feet onto a hard surface) is enough to knock it completely out of commission. And Rolex service is even harder to come by than batteries.

If you happen to like Rolexes, and you wear one anyway, then sure, bring it along and use it. But it isn't a practical first choice of backup equipment.

40 years ago, when there weren't such things as dive computers, and Subs cost $200 at the PX, it was an entirely different story.
springbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2011, 06:03 AM   #27
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

jason 71 pm sent , many tanks tom
Old 21 August 2011, 06:03 AM   #28
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbar View Post
Financially it makes much more sense to bring along a $3 spare battery, or even a spare computer, than a $6000 spare Rolex.

As tough as the Submariner is, a hard knock (say a drop of several feet onto a hard surface) is enough to knock it completely out of commission. And Rolex service is even harder to come by than batteries.

If you happen to like Rolexes, and you wear one anyway, then sure, bring it along and use it. But it isn't a practical first choice of backup equipment.

40 years ago, when there weren't such things as dive computers, and Subs cost $200 at the PX, it was an entirely different story.
cant argue with that either , could we have a thanks button on the forum maybe
Old 21 August 2011, 07:11 AM   #29
Grumpy Badger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Sub (cosc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Bottom line is it's a fabulous looking watch, a true rolex icon, that's as tough as nails. It looks as good in the office as it does shovelling s**t(Where is grumpy anyway?)
Reporting for duty!

I still think there is a place for a Rolex as a tool watch despite modern alternatives being 'better'...
I NEED a tough watch for my work. There is often very little destinction as to when I am working of not ie. I can often go to a friends house for dinner only to be asked to ride a horse for them or something... As a result I love the fact that my Rolex looks good and feels good but will take whatever I throw at it.
I also always feel well dressed an professional while wearing my Rolex, even if I'm doing what I'm doing in the pic and in my working clothes. If a client turned up to view a horse I feel better in myself for having a Rolex instead of a timex on my wrist.

"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill KG, OM, CH, TD, PC, DL, FRS.

Last edited by Grumpy Badger; 21 August 2011 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: iPad autocorrect fail
Grumpy Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2011, 07:12 AM   #30
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Badger View Post
Reporting for duty!

I still think there is a place for a Rolex as a tool watch despite modern alternatives being 'better'...
I NEED a tough watch for my work. There is often very little destination as to when I am working of not ie. I can often go to a friends house for dinner only to be asked to ride a horse for them or something... As a result I love the fact that my Rolex looks good and feels good but will take whatever I throw at it.
I also always feel well dressed an professional while wearing my Rolex, even if I'm doing what I'm doing in the pic and in my working clothes. If a client turned up to view a horse I feel better in myself for having a Rolex instead of a timex on my wrist.
Beautifully said!