The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 31 December 2023, 07:01 AM   #1
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
There is nothing in the photo that leads me to think the dial has been refinished, it’s just a poor photo. Better photos would put that to rest, but nothing indicates anything is wrong there.

I think the biggest problem I have here is the speculation. No one above knew the answer and they gave their opinions anyway, and it put this fellow off a perfectly fine watch. No one even knew the reference number. All of the information about these watches, airkings, dates, OPs, datejusts etc are all right here in this forum. Old Rolex catalogs are another great source of information, they show all of the dials available at the time for each model. Most scans of those can be found here as well.

The older threads around here, say before 2017 are full of actual knowledge, and not this nonsense we see posted most days. People actually discussed watches and the knowledge built up in the older threads is amazing. Far more engaging than “I got the call” threads with all of the replies being “congrats”.

I just hope something was learned. Just because one has never seen something doesn’t mean it wasn’t so, and that modern Rolex operates entirely differently than Rolex of the 20th century.
Thanks Joe.
I totally understand your thoughts and position as one of the old guard and I agree to a point.
I do remember seeing these watches as a kid with the gold hands and crown on SS and thought they looked great.
My fascination became more evident once I got old enough to hold and purchase my own mechanical watches as a hobby.

I remember seeing a post earlier this year where the comment was something to the tune of “TRF is subjective and VRF is objective”, or there bouts.
Maybe that’s fair in the eyes of some, and quite unfair to others.
But both forums are quite helpful when used with respect to the trade.

I got to sit on the sidelines here over ten years under a different user name that got lost in the shuffle, and can definitely confirm I have learned a lot here like most folks.
But I also have unique experiences and exposure and tech access that may be of help to someone.

That said I’d think it’s better to try and help a fellow watch enthusiast with honest intent and enough information to absorb for possible decision making, instead of ignore them and wait for 1 or 2 specific experts that may or may not chime in.

I assume everyone who responded did so in good faith and the information, whether right or wrong, was in-fact free and should be discerned.
Old 3 January 2024, 04:02 PM   #2
Paul Allen's Rolex
"TRF" Member

Thanks, everyone. Checking in again and catching up with the more recent comments. Discussion is great and thankfully the option to purchase is still there.

I would also like better photos but unfortunately I'll need to wait until I view the watches in person. There's a language barrier issue and also the country I'm in is affected by active conflict in areas still.

I will meet the dealer in question hopefully later in the month. He has some very interesting pieces including a two-tone OysterQuartz and a 16013 DateJust. I just couldn't find anything resembling this one's particular configuration and the dial looked a bit too pristine!
Paul Allen's Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2024, 07:18 AM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY.. View Post
Thanks Joe.
I totally understand your thoughts and position as one of the old guard and I agree to a point.
I do remember seeing these watches as a kid with the gold hands and crown on SS and thought they looked great.
My fascination became more evident once I got old enough to hold and purchase my own mechanical watches as a hobby.

I remember seeing a post earlier this year where the comment was something to the tune of “TRF is subjective and VRF is objective”, or there bouts.
Maybe that’s fair in the eyes of some, and quite unfair to others.
But both forums are quite helpful when used with respect to the trade.

I got to sit on the sidelines here over ten years under a different user name that got lost in the shuffle, and can definitely confirm I have learned a lot here like most folks.
But I also have unique experiences and exposure and tech access that may be of help to someone.

That said I’d think it’s better to try and help a fellow watch enthusiast with honest intent and enough information to absorb for possible decision making, instead of ignore them and wait for 1 or 2 specific experts that may or may not chime in.

I assume everyone who responded did so in good faith and the information, whether right or wrong, was in-fact free and should be discerned.
.................................................. .................................................. ......

I did not agree at all with the following comment about TRF mentioned above - I remember seeing a post earlier this year where the comment was something to the tune of “TRF is subjective and VRF is objective”, or there bouts. Maybe that’s fair in the eyes of some, and quite unfair to others.

Many of us saw this comment elsewhere on the net and just spaced it off for what it was - inappropriate and inaccurate. There are many contributors here on TRF that provide very helpful and useful information.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote