The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 February 2007, 12:17 PM   #1
quinson418
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sea-dweller
Rolex Tiffany Submariner and Sea-Dweller

I saw these photos of a Rolex Tiffany Submariner and Sea-Dweller in a forum and wanted to see if you guys are aware of double company names on a Rolex watches except the one we all know, COMEX.

Just curious, in what occasions will Rolex produce these dials?
I have heard about the Rolex Pam AM Explore II white dial ones, do anyone have more information on other occasions like that?

quinson418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2007, 12:35 PM   #2
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Tiffany lost their Rolex Authorized Dealer status because they kept on double branding their watches after Rolex suggested they stop doing it.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2007, 12:38 PM   #3
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
Tiffany lost their Rolex Authorized Dealer status because they kept on double branding their watches after Rolex suggested they stop doing it.
bingo

but I still got a thing for that cartier sub that I saw here a while back with the blue bezel.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2007, 07:28 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
Not strictly true now in the early days of Rolex only about 1 in 5 had the name Rolex on the Dial,the rest were blank dials when they left the factory.So the various retailers could put there own name on dial.But after the arrival of the oyster case most of the oyster cased ones did have the name Rolex on the dial,but still only a few companies were still allowed,to put there names on the dial like Cartier,Goldsmiths,Asprey, Bucherer plus a few more.Tiffany was the final store retailers name to ever to be seen on a Rolex dial, and now any genuine Tiffany named Rolex can command very high prices indeed.

Today the only current company for whom Rolex will "co-brand" a watch is COMEX; an acronym made up of the letters from the company's full name COmpagnie Maritime d'EXpertise. COMEX as everyone now knows are the world's leaders in the provision of diving services to exploration companies all over the world.Now every diver who works for Comex is issued with one and to prevent the watches from being misplaced Rolex print the name of the company on the dial of every watch. COMEX themselves also engrave the rear of the watch with their name and a unique serial number to the Comex company.

These watches now have become incredibly collectible because they are the only Rolex watch still being produced with another name on the dial.It is somewhat ironic that after almost 90 years of some different retailers' names on many Rolex dials. The only one left is a company who do did not ever sell watches,and thats Comex.Now the rarest watch might be the Tiffany and Co or Cartier dialled 16520 Daytona from the late 80s early 90s.Its funny how something other than the Rolex name, makes it very very expensive and desirable to collectors,but for every genuine one, there are quite a few fakes.Now there was a few black dialled S, N, T and W serial Daytona's Tiffany and Co, or Cartier dialled 16520 . Which had a manufacturing defect the colour of the sub-dials faded to brown or like a chocolate colour.Very similar to the defect from the late 80s early 90s that turned the TT Blue Sub dial more of a purple blue colour.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2007, 09:28 PM   #5
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I have nothing else to say, I think Padi and others summed it up!

John.

Oh, BTW, I think that Cartier GMT sold for around US$61k. Amazing what a few words on a dial can do.
jac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 01:47 PM   #6
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
A while back I was surfing ebay and came across someone selling a Just Date Rolex with a leather wrist-band and on the face of the watch was "Dominos Pizza" with the domino-logo.

The person posting the watch up for auction had stated that there were a few of these watches made and handed out to CEO's of Domino's after a good year or something of that nature.

Is this possible?

After reading postings from this forum, I find it hard to believe now that Rolex would allow/do something like this to their watches. Giving Rolex's away as gifts is one thing, but "defacing" a Rolex with the Domino's logo is quite another.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 01:57 PM   #7
vcm_dj

Watch: DateJust
I remember that 'Dominoes Pizza' DateJust... maybe I saw the same one you did... Interestingly enough, we were at my watchmaker's this weekend and part of the discussion was about refinished dials... The folks who do this type of work are as skilled artisans as watchmakers themselves - if they're any good at it, that is... In any case, I would think the 'Dominoes' dials were probably removed from the watches, sent off and had the logo work done, and then probably reinstalled. You're right about one thing - something gotta be wrong about putting a Dominoes logo on a Rolex! (or any other logo for that matter)

-V
vcm_dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2007, 12:58 PM   #8
Tomko
"TRF" Member

I've seen a Rolex that was also branded with the Eaton name. The Eaton family had a 100+ year-old retailing business here in Canada, and they were also once ADs. This particular watch that I saw was given to a retired executive. My uncle worked for the T. Eaton Co. Ltd. for 41 years. At 25 years they gave him a diamond ring.

Current:
TT LN GMT-Master II 2007
Tudor Oyster-Prince Quartz 1999
Victorinox Swiss Army 1994
Lassale 1987

Retired:
Seiko Quartz 1981
Timex LCD 1979
Timex mini-sub style 1975
Timex 1971
Tomko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2007, 04:31 PM   #9
Arturo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black GMT ll
I have a friend who is about 50 years old. He is from New York. His graduation gift from high school....probably 1973....was a Tiffany Pepsi GMT. I have seen it and it is an attractive watch. He is quite proud of it as there are not a lot of them around.
Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2007, 04:46 PM   #10
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinson418 View Post
I saw these photos of a Rolex Tiffany Submariner and Sea-Dweller in a forum and wanted to see if you guys are aware of double company names on a Rolex watches except the one we all know, COMEX.
Just curious, in what occasions will Rolex produce these dials?
They didn't... Tiffany was adding their names pre-sale.

Quote:
I have heard about the Rolex Pam AM Explore II white dial ones, do anyone have more information on other occasions like that?
The Pan-Am GMTs didn't have Pan-Am on their dials...

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 02:53 PM   #12
Thurnau
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust
I used to work for Dominos many years ago. Supposedly they were given out to managers who broke a yearly sales record. The manager I had said that it wasn't even a good Rolex lol.
Thurnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 03:02 PM   #13
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
montecristo, thanks for posting those ebay pictures up.

I guess I was mistaken, they were Air Kings and not DateJust's, unless what I saw months ago was maybe an older issue that was handed out by Domino's

Nice looking watches if in fact they are real.

Funny how an actual manager said they weren't even nice Rolex's

In Canada, the AirKing - Precision with the blue dial is the "cheapest" Rolex watch at MSRP of $4080 Canadian.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 11:11 AM   #14
catalyst1976
"TRF" Member

Tiffany Seadweller

I have a Tiffany Seadweller, but have never been able to find any info about it
catalyst1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 11:13 AM   #15
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
A buddy of mine has a TT Tiffany DJ. Was there when James Dowling authenticated it for him.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 12:45 PM   #16
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
Dominos Air King....

I managed a Dominos for almost 6 years back in the 80s. They were given to managers for setting a certain sales record for a week. My stores would have been $15,000. I came close twice in our franchise. That is a lot of pizzas. I was in on 2 records that were set. And both of those managers got the Air Kings. They are very nice. You have no ideal how much work that was. 5 people on the phones. 5 or 6 pizza makers. 2 people running the ovens. 1 person setting up the runs. And 12 to 15 drivers. 100 pizza an hour for 5 hours in a row is humping it; Jim
JimSnyder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 08:27 PM   #17
Jmca1

When did Tiffany stop selling Rolex? I could have sworn I saw them at their shops until the late 90's early 00's
Jmca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2008, 09:04 AM   #18
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Nice info, Peter!

Thanks for sharing!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote