The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 February 2010, 12:33 PM   #1
xeroid
"TRF" Member

What is My Rolex worth ?

In Canada ... got a Rolex as a gift at work 1989 .... was a copier technician and wore it for a couple of months when the crystal top fell off and I lost it. I put the watch back in it's original box and never looked at it again. Oyster perpetual air king date ,,,, all silver. All original paper work and watch is still working perfectly ( no glass top ). I opened the box after this many years and the second hand is ticking away perfectly. Face may be a little tarnished? Have no idea what it is worth .. Can someone let me know?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0332.jpg (47.1 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0333.jpg (51.6 KB, 314 views)

Last edited by Welshwatchman; 2 February 2010 at 06:33 AM..
Old 1 February 2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Lol-x
Facilitator

Well it would definitely need a service, just due to the effluxion of time and the effect on the lubricants (notwithstanding it has been sitting in a box).

The cost of the crystal and bezel will be a few dollars too.

Box and papers are nice.

Maybe I would say it is worth $1,200+ (ballpark)

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Old 1 February 2010, 09:06 PM   #3
Nicko
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Old 1 February 2010, 10:24 PM   #4
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Can't tell you but can tell you it needs to get to RSC !!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 1 February 2010, 11:10 PM   #5
acce1999
"TRF" Member

That's a nice Air-King date you have there. It needs a bezel (should be smooth), and a plastic crystal (not that expensive). I would also, like Lol-X, recommend a full service. I share his estimate. I would not sell it as is, if that is what you are thinking.

Out of curiosity, did you hit the watch onto something to lose the bezel and glass?

Best,

A
Old 1 February 2010, 11:41 PM   #6
xeroid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acce1999 View Post
That's a nice Air-King date you have there. It needs a bezel (should be smooth), and a plastic crystal (not that expensive). I would also, like Lol-X, recommend a full service. I share his estimate. I would not sell it as is, if that is what you are thinking.

Out of curiosity, did you hit the watch onto something to lose the bezel and glass?

Best,

A
"It needs a bezel (should be smooth), and a plastic crystal (not that expensive)" I have no idea what the bezel is .... and a plastic crystal ... isn't that a fake from the real crystal glass is had originally? Forgot to mention that the back piece is engraved .. so I guess that needs to be replaced too. And some slight scratchs on the band. Maybe it isn't worth fixing ?

I would imagine I did hit it while working with my hands inside some copier machine? So the value of $1200+ that someone has mentioned is what I should expect as is ? Or do I have to send it in for a new crystal top and clean up .... which I would suspect would cost $500 and then it's still only worth $1200 used ? ...... or if I spend the $500 to have it looking new ... what could I expect to sell it for used? Anyone have any idea who in Canada I would take it to for the repairs and where is the best place to try and sell ..... ebay ?

Last edited by xeroid; 1 February 2010 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add .....
Old 2 February 2010, 12:04 AM   #7
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeroid View Post
"It needs a bezel (should be smooth), and a plastic crystal (not that expensive)" I have no idea what the bezel is .... and a plastic crystal ... isn't that a fake from the real crystal glass is had originally? Forgot to mention that the back piece is engraved .. so I guess that needs to be replaced too. And some slight scratchs on the band. Maybe it isn't worth fixing ?

I would imagine I did hit it while working with my hands inside some copier machine? So the value of $1200+ that someone has mentioned is what I should expect as is ? Or do I have to send it in for a new crystal top and clean up .... which I would suspect would cost $500 and then it's still only worth $1200 used ? ...... or if I spend the $500 to have it looking new ... what could I expect to sell it for used? Anyone have any idea who in Canada I would take it to for the repairs and where is the best place to try and sell ..... ebay ?
The bezel is the ring around the glass, keeping it in place. Up till the end of the 80's some Rolex models had plexiglass. Yours is such a one (Model ref 5700). During the 70's and earlier all models (with few exceptions) had plexi. It is not a bad thing! Many collectors prefer them like that.

The value of a used watch like yours, but in good working order, should be some 1200 USD, perhaps a bit more since you have both the box and the certificate. The current value, as it is, is low.

Yes a service including a new bezel, and caseback, would cost a bit, but would also make it easy to sell it.

If you are eager to sell, try to contact some of the regular sellers/buyers on this forum. Check out the "for sale"-section. Perhaps someone from Canada will comment this also. I live in Europe, and I would take it to a Rolex Service Center to get an estimate for a full service, including replacement parts before deciding.

Best,

A
Old 2 February 2010, 12:36 AM   #8
xeroid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acce1999 View Post
The bezel is the ring around the glass, keeping it in place. Up till the end of the 80's some Rolex models had plexiglass. Yours is such a one (Model ref 5700). During the 70's and earlier all models (with few exceptions) had plexi. It is not a bad thing! Many collectors prefer them like that.

The value of a used watch like yours, but in good working order, should be some 1200 USD, perhaps a bit more since you have both the box and the certificate. The current value, as it is, is low.

Yes a service including a new bezel, and caseback, would cost a bit, but would also make it easy to sell it.

If you are eager to sell, try to contact some of the regular sellers/buyers on this forum. Check out the "for sale"-section. Perhaps someone from Canada will comment this also. I live in Europe, and I would take it to a Rolex Service Center to get an estimate for a full service, including replacement parts before deciding.

Best,

A
WOW ... so I may have to invest $500 maybe more for the replacement parts and service to clean ... and it's only worth $1200 after that. Hardly worth the trouble .... easier to throw it out It must be the cheapest model they sell I guess.
Old 2 February 2010, 12:40 AM   #9
Idle Swede
Suspended

It sells for $3,300 BNIB.
Old 2 February 2010, 12:44 AM   #10
xeroid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Swede View Post

It sells for $3,300 BNIB.
BNIB? That would be a new one I guess and like I said, after spending $500+ to fix this one .... it would only sell for $1200 ..... think I may just list it on Ebay for $500 as is ?
Old 2 February 2010, 12:49 AM   #11
Kokyuryoku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
BNIB? That would be a new one I guess and like I said, after spending $500+ to fix this one .... it would only sell for $1200 ..... think I may just list it on Ebay for $500 as is ?
Chalk up a few more posts and list it here. I'm sure someone would take it off your hands sooner or later.

Welcome to the forum btw

Omega 3570.50 (77mil) Rolex 16610 (V) Rolex 1601 (1966) Seiko BM
Old 2 February 2010, 12:53 AM   #12
xeroid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokyuryoku View Post
Chalk up a few more posts and list it here. I'm sure someone would take it off your hands sooner or later.

Welcome to the forum btw
OK ... I will just keep posting here till I reach the 16 posts required ... ha ha
Old 2 February 2010, 12:58 AM   #13
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
OK ... I will just keep posting here till I reach the 16 posts required ... ha ha

I'm sure you'll get a lot more than $500 when you post it here.
Old 2 February 2010, 01:00 AM   #14
ROGERB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 89 16610, 57 7914,
Welcome fellow Canuck!! I guess my first question would be do you like the watch and if it was looking like new would you wear it? I would prefer to look at it this way, for the cost of 500.00 est you would have a watch that would sell new for 3300.00! Now that model has some other things going for it, The Air King date was a watch more common in the Canadian market and with original papers and box etc, should get a bit more for it. If you don't care to wear it and it has no sentimental value then if someone told you could spend 500.00 and get 12 to maybe 1500.00 back would you?
Cheers from the "WET COAST" !!
R
Old 2 February 2010, 01:03 AM   #15
Rscmaine
"TRF" Member

Watch: me pull a rabbit..
Quote:
WOW ... so I may have to invest $500 maybe more for the replacement parts and service to clean ... and it's only worth $1200 after that. Hardly worth the trouble .... easier to throw it out It must be the cheapest model they sell I guess.
If you are going to throw it out, I'll pay postage for you to mail it to me.

I'll even mail you a pre addressed box and a roll of tape to save you the hassle.

And I'll have it picked up at your door.

Just let me know.
Old 2 February 2010, 01:09 AM   #16
snow_rocks
Banned

Watch: the SKY tonite!
Do you want to sell it, or keep it? It was a GIFT!
Old 2 February 2010, 01:46 AM   #17
xeroid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGERB View Post
Welcome fellow Canuck!! I guess my first question would be do you like the watch and if it was looking like new would you wear it? I would prefer to look at it this way, for the cost of 500.00 est you would have a watch that would sell new for 3300.00! Now that model has some other things going for it, The Air King date was a watch more common in the Canadian market and with original papers and box etc, should get a bit more for it. If you don't care to wear it and it has no sentimental value then if someone told you could spend 500.00 and get 12 to maybe 1500.00 back would you?
Cheers from the "WET COAST" !!
R
I wore it for a couple of months .... I never wear watches and it has no sentimental value. So what is unique about an Air King date ? And I am guessing at the $500 ... maybe it could cost $600 to fix up?
Old 2 February 2010, 01:51 AM   #18
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Welcome, that's an interesting story !
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
Old 2 February 2010, 02:14 AM   #19
xeroid
"TRF" Member

More Photos

More Photos - they scratched my initials on the band too ... so that needs to be replaced, the back needs to be replaced and the crystal

What I do find cool though ...is that after all these years every time I open the box ....the second hand is still ticking away !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0387[1].jpg (62.2 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0386[1].jpg (53.6 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0382[1].jpg (45.2 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0377[1].jpg (74.0 KB, 166 views)
Old 2 February 2010, 02:19 AM   #20
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
It needs some TLC to bring it's full value. You'd be better off selling it "as is" and let the new owner sercive, and restore it as they wish. You'd spend $500 restoring it just to have a watch that would need more money to cover your cost. If your going to wear it yourself, fix it up!
Old 2 February 2010, 02:22 AM   #21
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:

What I do find cool though ...is that after all these years every time I open the box ....the second hand is still ticking away !

You have a very unique watch, probably the only one of its kind.

You should talk to Rolex geneva and tell them about it, because not even they know that they've produced such an incredible timepiece.
Old 2 February 2010, 02:28 AM   #22
xeroid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You have a very unique watch, probably the only one of its kind.

You should talk to Rolex geneva and tell them about it, because not even they know that they've produced such an incredible timepiece.
So tell me what I have ,,, what makes it different or unique and does this mean the value just went up $100 ... ha ha
Old 2 February 2010, 02:31 AM   #23
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
So tell me what I have ,,, what makes it different or unique and does this mean the value just went up $100 ... ha ha

It means that the value went up with thousand and thousands of dollars.

You have the only mechanical Rolex watch in the world that doesn't ever need winding.
Old 2 February 2010, 02:35 AM   #24
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
Quote:

You have the only mechanical Rolex watch in the world that doesn't ever need winding.
He has one of the nuclear powered Rolex watches Leo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ankerjump1.jpg (37.9 KB, 93 views)
Old 2 February 2010, 02:36 AM   #25
xeroid
"TRF" Member

Quote:

All kidding aside, after all these years ( 10+ ) sitting in the box never moved and the second hand continues to move ... I think that is kinda cool. I thought the perpetual meant you needed to wear it ( shake it ) so it would self wind ?

EDIT: At this point all you seem to be doing is hoping for offers and bypassing the For Sale Forum rules.. The Thread is closed
Old 2 February 2010, 02:36 AM   #26
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetrends View Post
He has one of the nuclear powered Rolex watches Leo.

Are you receiving my e-mails Crackerman?

Your PM box is turned off so I sent you one.
Old 2 February 2010, 02:49 AM   #27
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
All kidding aside, after all these years ( 10+ ) sitting in the box never moved and the second hand continues to move ... I think that is kinda cool. I thought the perpetual meant you needed to wear it ( shake it ) so it would self wind ?

I think youre right, all kidding aside I think you had your fun.
Old 2 February 2010, 02:56 AM   #28
Idle Swede
Suspended

I was going to show xeroid my new watch....

but the thread got locked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Troll.jpg (79.9 KB, 84 views)
Old 2 February 2010, 03:00 AM   #29
STEELINOX
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
Closed Thread