The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 26 October 2014, 08:08 AM   #1
Smackin
"TRF" Member

I'm Coming Unglued

I had a question about a recent Rolex service that I had preformed on my stainless date just at a fairly well known watch store in Southern CA. I took it to this store due to the fact that my best friend has purchased numerous watches from them including Breitlings and Rolexes, his last one was 50K.

When I picked the watch up and got home I noticed it was not working, at all. I immediately brought it back and said after the the amount of money I just paid it would be better if it could tell me the time. After a bit I was called and got my watch back. about 2-3 months ago I knocked off the crown and took it to a place that for many many years has been located in Laguna Beach CA and they are now in Mission Viejo. They only do watch repair for Rolex watches they do not have a showroom and are Rolex Authorized. While I was there to drop off my watch to get the crown fixed. I told him my interest was to some day get a submariner two tone blue face. Sure enough he has one there for a great price that he pulled out of his safe. I bought it :-0

When I went back to pick up my Stainless, Terry the owner of the authorized store asked me to come in the back room to show me something he was concerned about. He showed me that two posts that hold up the dial and explained that one of mine must ave been broken. This is what got me, he further explained that whoever was the tech that did the work on the watch thought it would be better to GLUE the dial in place rather then fix it. This kinda explains why it did not work when I got it home.

My question. Is this standard practice to glue a dial in place on a Rolex? If I would have been told there was a broken part, I would have paid for it. I think I was already paying $600 or $700 dollars to tune it up in the first place.

Please give me your thoughts on the ability to get my watch tuned up in the future. The watch person that showed me the problem said it could not be tuned. I wanted to give my watches to my son when he gets older, oh well.

Thank you for any advice on gluing parts together in a watch that is considered to be one of the best watches in the world.
Smackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2014, 10:58 AM   #2
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
I'm no expert by any means, but that does not sound right at all. Glue anywhere near the inside of a watch sounds like a bad practice. It sounds like they took a shortcut while fixing it, or maybe they broke it themselves and didn't want to have to try and get you to pay for a new post at the first shop.
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Dalton
TechXpert

Watch: 168000
there should be absolutely no glue in there. A replacement is needed or an expert dial guy has to solder new feet in. That's where the trick lies, heat can ruin the enamel if not done properly. I doubt it was broken by the Service Center you took it to. It had existing issues, which means someone was just trying to move it along...
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2014, 08:52 AM   #4
Smackin
"TRF" Member

Bummed and Glued

Thank you for steering me in the right direction. I just cant believe someone would think that they could get away with this When I go to service it the next time which now makes me think it may be sooner then later due to an obvious shoty job??? Makes me wonder what else was or was not done.

I am really bummed I spent so much money to get it done right and now I feel that they could have damaged the watch and that it still needs to be serviced which means I have to pay again. Wish I was a watch tech :-0
Smackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2014, 02:45 PM   #5
Dalton
TechXpert

Watch: 168000
I feel your pain. This is the kind of stuff that makes us lose sleep. A few years ago, I had a Tudor Sub with a Dial that started to spin inside the case. I had it repaired by a Rolex Tech I know, of course it had to be serviced
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2014, 07:17 PM   #6
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

Have you gone back to the shop which did the original service and who you think introduced the glue into it?

If so, what did they say?

What can the OP do about this?
Rogdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2014, 08:37 PM   #7
Roger1079
"TRF" Member

If it could not be repaired to factory specifications, the dial would be replaced as a necessary part of the service. That dial would never have been put back into the watch, especially not with glue at any RSC. If the AD that did the initial service was authorized by Rolex, I would contact Rolex and inform them of what happened. Take pictures if you still can, and have the paperwork from the original service available also. Hopefully Rolex will make it right at no additional cost to you since you already paid for a full service and the dial was obviously broken at that time and should have been replaced. Keep us updated.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2014, 12:50 AM   #8
Watchcollectables
"TRF" Member

It is not the end of the world if dial feet snap off it happens from time to time. No dial should ever be glued to the top of the movement, ever. There are a couple of options, like Dalton said to ether solder a new foot onto the dial or you can epoxy a foot on also, as the dial doesnt move the glued foot will last and stay stuck in position . I have seen dial stickers also but these are not a good fix and the adhesive will gradually deteriorate.
Its down to the skill and knowledge of the guy doing the job;-)
Watchcollectables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2014, 02:52 AM   #9
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchcollectables View Post
It is not the end of the world if dial feet snap off it happens from time to time. No dial should ever be glued to the top of the movement, ever. There are a couple of options, like Dalton said to ether solder a new foot onto the dial or you can epoxy a foot on also, as the dial doesnt move the glued foot will last and stay stuck in position . I have seen dial stickers also but these are not a good fix and the adhesive will gradually deteriorate.
Its down to the skill and knowledge of the guy doing the job;-)
I cannot imagine the heat of soldering not damaging the face; attaching the foot with epoxy sounds like the right idea here.

OP, can you give the name of the place that did the questionable repair so we can be sure to not go there..?
Old 29 October 2014, 02:58 AM   #10
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
epoxy , is that what i call glue ,,, thats how i read the question originally , so , it boils down to should the dial have been replaced at service .
guess that depends if it was an ad or not that serviced it.
and welcome to the forum too.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2014, 03:07 AM   #11
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackin View Post
I had a question about a recent Rolex service that I had preformed on my stainless date just at a fairly well known watch store in Southern CA. I took it to this store due to the fact that my best friend has purchased numerous watches from them including Breitlings and Rolexes, his last one was 50K.
Perhaps you should get your friend involved.

And yes, welcome to TRF...
Old 29 October 2014, 05:50 AM   #12
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
The machine that is used works like a spot welder you use soft solder which has a low melting point put a small piece of solder on dial where you want the foot to be ground the dial with one electrode and using the other electrode hold the foot over the solder then press the foot pedal and push down on top of solder it melts immediately. It's a one shot deal and should not get hot enough to ruin the paint in my experience. Rikki
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2014, 07:31 PM   #13
Watchcollectables
"TRF" Member

We use a PUK welder , very useful and hardly any heat as Rikki says .
Watchcollectables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2014, 03:55 AM   #14
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
The machine that is used works like a spot welder you use soft solder which has a low melting point put a small piece of solder on dial where you want the foot to be ground the dial with one electrode and using the other electrode hold the foot over the solder then press the foot pedal and push down on top of solder it melts immediately. It's a one shot deal and should not get hot enough to ruin the paint in my experience. Rikki
Cool... thanks!