The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 April 2024, 01:16 AM   #1
hartsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 1 224270
Half-link to the rescue!!!! (224270)

I was having trouble finding the goldilocks fit on my 224270. I was awkwardly in between 2 links out and set on the largest micro adjustment (103mm and 108mm with the easy link out) and 1 link out on the smallest micro adjustment pin (107mm easy link closed and 112mm with the easy link open). The former config required me to have my easy link popped nearly 24/7 and the latter was sliding around a bit too much with the easy link closed. Another slight annoyance was that the watch still pulled slightly "away" from me with my current 1 link out set up that had 4 links at the 6 o'clock and 7 links at the 12 o'clock.

After asking a few ADs and finally finding one willing to work me with me, I was able to order a submariner half link from Rolex. Fits like a glove on the 224270 (confirming they are 100% the same bracelet despite what most ADs will tell you - who knew this would be such a big ask).

I removed 1 link at the 6 o'clock side and added in the half-link on the same side. This left me with a slightly unorthodox 3.5 links on the 6 o'clock side and 7 links on the 12 o'clock side. This configuration with the clasp pin set in the middle gets me to about 105mm with the easy link closed and 110mm with the clasp extended. I have noticed the watch no longer "pulls away" on my wrist and sits much more centered. That 2mm difference sounds small but made a world of difference in how the watch feels on my wrist. For those who had the same issue - this is definitely the way!!
hartsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 11:14 PM   #2
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Glad to hear it worked out...and that your AD was willing to play ball. Some aren't. And that's not a knock on the ones that don't. They serve a master far more demanding than most.

The overarching philosophy of the Rolex machine is much akin to the Soup Nazi. (No half link for you! )

I, for one, don't understand it. The more I work with sizing bracelets. the more I think half links are more important to the sizing process than the fancy adjustable clasps. If you don't have a good fit to begin with (as your post so aptly illustrated), those don't help you. At least, that has been my experience. Just look at the Uncle Seiko line of half links for Tudor...those have been game changers, IMO.

Here's my parting shot to Rolex. As I type this, I'm wearing a Sky-Dweller with a half link from a SD43. What are you going to do about it?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 11:41 PM   #3
hartsy
"TRF" Member

I couldn't agree more. The process is a bit baffling as I tried every link configuration under the sun and could not get my 8k luxury watch to fit right without the half-link that is sold with the EXACT same bracelet on a different sports model. Including the 70 dollar link with all sports models should be a no brainer and a practice that I hope Rolex adopts in the future.

One wouldn't think the 2mm difference I was able to achieve with the half link would make much difference in how the watch sits on a wrist, but boy did it help.

My only question now - any concern with have 3.5 links on one side and 7 on the other? I know this is a bit atypical. The clasp is not centered but the watch fits and feels much better and now sits centered and maybe even pulls "inward" towards me instead of away, which I appreciate. The clasp blade is skewed towards my thumb side and maybe sit a bit awkwardly (not much) but not enough to bother me. Any issues with this config? Thanks!

Cheers.
Old 28 April 2024, 11:57 PM   #4
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
No issues at all if the watch finally fits you comfortably.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 11:58 PM   #5
hartsy
"TRF" Member

Thats what I figured but figured it wouldn't hurt to confirm. Relieved the half-link did the trick! I wish procuring it wasn't such an ordeal though, ha!