The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: White dial or black dial
White 221 60.05%
Black 147 39.95%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 March 2024, 10:37 PM   #61
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Why we keep,saying enamel? Itswhite glossy lacquer
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2024, 10:40 PM   #62
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Interesting. I also just received the white dial Speedmaster and while I like it it is hard for me not to like the black dial. Less than a week in, I would take the black dial 3861 over the white but it is early. I will see.
Yes, I have not seen it the white dial yet, and from photos I think it looks OK, but I still think the black dial is much better. I'll reserve final judgement until I go in and see the white dial in person, which I have been procrastinating over, mainly because the time to do so is not worth it for me to confirm what I really think.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2024, 02:58 AM   #63
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Black or white is subjective, of course. I almost always prefer black dials as I feel white dials generally “ wash out” ….and I dislike a lot of wide open white space on dials. Certainly not THIS white Speedmaster.

Another thing I found surprising when comparing the black sapphire sandwich to the white was that the white actually looked SMALLER than the black. Which is just about never the case when comparing white/black on same models. I’ve seen/read in a few places that the white speedmaster’s crystal is more domed which doesn’t seem to make sense at all since they’re both sapphire crystal watches….but it could explain why the white dial speedy appeared smaller than the black dial. Or perhaps because of the contrast between the black bezel and white dial that made the white appear smaller. Whatever the reason, I was really surprised. Not sure if there’s an optical illusion but it was noticeable to me…definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Yes, I have not seen it the white dial yet, and from photos I think it looks OK, but I still think the black dial is much better. I'll reserve final judgement until I go in and see the white dial in person, which I have been procrastinating over, mainly because the time to do so is not worth it for me to confirm what I really think.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2024, 04:46 AM   #64
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

I can't get on board with the white until an astronaut takes it to the moon, well at least into space.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2024, 07:15 AM   #65
Seo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
Black or white is subjective, of course. I almost always prefer black dials as I feel white dials generally “ wash out” ….and I dislike a lot of wide open white space on dials. Certainly not THIS white Speedmaster.

Another thing I found surprising when comparing the black sapphire sandwich to the white was that the white actually looked SMALLER than the black. Which is just about never the case when comparing white/black on same models. I’ve seen/read in a few places that the white speedmaster’s crystal is more domed which doesn’t seem to make sense at all since they’re both sapphire crystal watches….but it could explain why the white dial speedy appeared smaller than the black dial. Or perhaps because of the contrast between the black bezel and white dial that made the white appear smaller. Whatever the reason, I was really surprised. Not sure if there’s an optical illusion but it was noticeable to me…definitely.
The size effect you mention can be from the fact that the black dial an look like the dial is extended to the bezel as they are the same colour, vs with the white the bezel clearly separates from it.

This effect is present on the daytona too.
Seo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 01:48 AM   #66
yetione
"TRF" Member

Quote:

After getting hands on w the white speedy I’ll confirm it FEELs smaller than the black, and much more premium. The quality dial / contrast / design restraint can’t be fully appreciated until you have it in hand.
yetione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 02:17 AM   #67
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphr1 View Post
I can't get on board with the white until an astronaut takes it to the moon, well at least into space.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 04:09 AM   #68
timepieceexclusives
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP ROO Offshore
White dial is stunning. Love the speedmaster racing because of the white dial. Happy we are finally getting it on the classic moonwatch. My vote is white dial but can’t go wrong with either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timepieceexclusives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 11:50 AM   #69
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
As my friend says, “You go with white, you’ll be alright.”
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 05:59 AM   #70
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
White

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 08:49 AM   #71
msum
"TRF" Member

Voted black. Own white. Probably a contradiction.

I just think, if it can only come down to one, it has to be black. But I’m not sure this kind of thinking is dominating the voting, otherwise I’d be very surprised.
msum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 09:29 AM   #72
PTCDAD
"TRF" Member

I would vote both, but did vote white for this poll. The black is a true iconic watch, but the white seems to be visually stunning. I have the 3861 sapphire sandwich and just traded my blue, 2023 ‘57 speedy towards an Apollo 8. I thought I was done buying Speedmasters, but I just added my name and a deposit towards the white dial. Damn you Omega!
PTCDAD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 09:43 AM   #73
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTCDAD View Post
I would vote both, but did vote white for this poll. The black is a true iconic watch, but the white seems to be visually stunning. I have the 3861 sapphire sandwich and just traded my blue, 2023 ‘57 speedy towards an Apollo 8. I thought I was done buying Speedmasters, but I just added my name and a deposit towards the white dial. Damn you Omega!
Curious why you sent the '57 packing? You just got it a few month ago right? The blue '57 is a gorgeous watch.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 09:52 AM   #74
PTCDAD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Curious why you sent the '57 packing? You just got it a few month ago right? The blue '57 is a gorgeous watch.
Great question. I asked myself the same thing. I did like it, and got it for a steal. I actually made money on the trade which is rare. I had my eye on the Apollo 8 for quite sometime, and din’t want to come out of pocket for the full amount when my local gray dealer got one in stock. Because I already had the 3861, I thought I didn’t need 3 speedies. Like every watch I trade, I regret it the next day.
Old 26 March 2024, 10:15 AM   #75
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTCDAD View Post
Great question. I asked myself the same thing. I did like it, and got it for a steal. I actually made money on the trade which is rare. I had my eye on the Apollo 8 for quite sometime, and din’t want to come out of pocket for the full amount when my local gray dealer got one in stock. Because I already had the 3861, I thought I didn’t need 3 speedies. Like every watch I trade, I regret it the next day.
I hear ya. It's part of the addiction of this hobby LOL. Your logic does make sense tho. Did you get the most recent Apollo 8 or its predecessor?
Old 26 March 2024, 11:12 AM   #76
ml91
"TRF" Member

Black and it's not even close
ml91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 08:05 AM   #77
PTCDAD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hear ya. It's part of the addiction of this hobby LOL. Your logic does make sense tho. Did you get the most recent Apollo 8 or its predecessor?

I purchased the old version at my gray dealer the morning the new version was announced. I found out as I was buying it.

Old 28 March 2024, 11:09 AM   #78
anorphirith
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126713GRNR
the indices on the white dial just don't do it for me, they look sort of cheap

Last edited by anorphirith; 28 March 2024 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: spelling
anorphirith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 05:08 PM   #79
agriculture&watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss Made
White dial looks more fresh to me
agriculture&watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 09:53 PM   #80
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anorphirith View Post
Applied indices look cheap but painted on indices do not??? Ummm ok then

Old 28 March 2024, 10:22 PM   #81
dr3ziz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anorphirith View Post

Don’t worry nothing in this reference looks cheap.
Rocking mine today

dr3ziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 11:23 PM   #82
warrior
"TRF" Member

Classic! LOL
Quote:

Old 29 March 2024, 03:18 AM   #83
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The painted on look better to me. And that's my opinion.Yours may be different. Let's not judge an opinion.
Old 29 March 2024, 03:24 AM   #84
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The painted on look better to me. And that's my opinion.Yours may be different. Let's not judge an opinion.
He didn't state he preferred the look of the black painted indices over the white applied indices. He said the applied indices "look sort of cheap" which is absurd and worthy of judgement.
Old 29 March 2024, 04:01 AM   #85
warrior
"TRF" Member

In my almost 17 years of collecting watches, there have only been a handful ( maybe 3 or 4) white dial watches that piqued my interest. The white speedy is one of them….due to the combination of lacquer dial with red accent against that dial, good contrast with no “ wash out “ effect that I dislike on so many white dial watches I see, a relatively small dial for a sports watch ( ie tight and well proportioned), and the Speedmaster design. The applied indices are icing on the cake. YMMV.
Old 29 March 2024, 04:27 AM   #86
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He didn't state he preferred the look of the black painted indices over the white applied indices. He said the applied indices "look sort of cheap" which is absurd and worthy of judgement.
Worthy of judgement? Wow. OK. Furthermore, this is a discussion on the white vs black dials per the thread title, so it's perfectly valid to have an opinion against the white dial as well.

So, no, I don't think it's absurd. The applied indices do look a bit off to me on this dial. Maybe its because they are PVD coated... I think they look great on the gold Speedmasters but this one doesn't do it for me either. I wanted to like it, and when I first saw the "leaked" photo, I had to have it. But the more I see real world pictures, I'm less and less interested. That said, I have not seen it in person, so that may change, but I doubt it.
Old 29 March 2024, 06:28 AM   #87
warrior
"TRF" Member

I understand what you’re saying re: opinions. And you can dislike the PVD indices and however they look on the watch all you want and prefer the black dial over the white, of course! however, “cheap” is not really the word I would use. I saw the watch and nothing about it is “ cheap “, including the indices.

Whenever people roll their eyes at an opinion, it’s a cliche to say “ opinions are like a-holes…everyone has one.” That’s a glib lazy response. ( and I know you didn’t say that, of course)

To which I reply in SPECIFIC circumstances, “ yeah but some opinions are certainly better than others”.

I own the black Hesalite 3861 btw.

Quote:
Worthy of judgement? Wow. OK. Furthermore, this is a discussion on the white vs black dials per the thread title, so it's perfectly valid to have an opinion against the white dial as well.

So, no, I don't think it's absurd. The applied indices do look a bit off to me on this dial. Maybe its because they are PVD coated... I think they look great on the gold Speedmasters but this one doesn't do it for me either. I wanted to like it, and when I first saw the "leaked" photo, I had to have it. But the more I see real world pictures, I'm less and less interested. That said, I have not seen it in person, so that may change, but I doubt it.

Last edited by warrior; 29 March 2024 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: Additions
Old 29 March 2024, 07:50 AM   #88
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I understand what you’re saying re: opinions. And you can dislike the PVD indices and however they look on the watch all you want and prefer the black dial over the white, of course! however, “cheap” is not really the word I would use. I saw the watch and nothing about it is “ cheap “, including the indices.

Whenever people roll their eyes at an opinion, it’s a cliche to say “ opinions are like a-holes…everyone has one.” That’s a glib lazy response. ( and I know you didn’t say that, of course)

To which I reply in SPECIFIC circumstances, “ yeah but some opinions are certainly better than others”.

I own the black Hesalite 3861 btw.
True, even if I agreed about the indices (which I sort of do) I don't think I would have worded it like that in a thread where clearly many are receiving them and quite happy with them.

I love the black dial so much, that if the Speedmaster were actually 39-40mm (to include the asymmetrical case) I would never want another watch (maybe, we all can say that I suppose). So I think it was you, warrior, that pointed out the white dial actually appears to wear smaller. That's interesting to me and my small wrist. But I still can't get past the dial and indices currently. I will have to see it in person to make the final call. I'm just not rushing to do so at this point, even though the SA asked if I wanted to be first on the list for one before it was announced. I declined. But since they will be a normal production, if I change my mind, there is no rush.
Old 29 March 2024, 08:00 AM   #89
warrior
"TRF" Member

Quote:
True, even if I agreed about the indices (which I sort of do) I don't think I would have worded it like that in a thread where clearly many are receiving them and quite happy with them.

I love the black dial so much, that if the Speedmaster were actually 39-40mm (to include the asymmetrical case) I would never want another watch (maybe, we all can say that I suppose). So I think it was you, warrior, that pointed out the white dial actually appears to wear smaller. That's interesting to me and my small wrist. But I still can't get past the dial and indices currently. I will have to see it in person to make the final call. I'm just not rushing to do so at this point, even though the SA asked if I wanted to be first on the list for one before it was announced. I declined. But since they will be a normal production, if I change my mind, there is no rush.
Old 9 April 2024, 11:41 AM   #90
FloydRedford
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Black dial all day. More rugged looking, unbeatable legibility, strap monster; a true classic. The white dial is nice and looks dressier, just not my preference.

FloydRedford is offline   Reply With Quote