The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 July 2010, 11:00 AM   #1
Cecile
"TRF" Member

Icon9 Do Police Notify Rolex if a Watch Has Been Stolen?

Hello! First time poster here and I wish it were under more pleasant circumstances.

My Rolex (a stainless Lady Datejust...just a "starter" watch but I loved it so much) was stolen and I filed a police report. Now, a few weeks later, I read on this message board that Rolex should be informed of theft involving a Rolex watch so they can keep an eye out for it if it shows up at an AD.

My question is, do the police report the stolen watch to Rolex or is it up to me to do so? I can't get my calls returned by the police and, to be fair, my watch probably isn't high on their priority list.

Thank you for any help you can give me!

--Cecile
Cecile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2010, 11:04 AM   #2
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
Hi Cecile,

I am sorry that your first post here is to report a loss. I am not sure about the US, but if I were you I would certainly report your loss to RUSA. It cannot do any harm. Good luck....
mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2010, 11:08 AM   #3
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
The police in the South East do not report it to Rolex, thats up to you. Maybe other regions operate different.

Good Luck with your recovery efforts.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2010, 11:21 AM   #4
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Cecile,
Sorry you had that happen to you. One of my first questions is, did you give the police the serial number? If so, did you get a case number to get the official report?

If the police department has a serial number for the stolen item, it should be entered in the NCIC system (National Crime Information Computer). This is linked to every state, and if the watch is ever checked, it will show up as stolen.

Second is having a police report to reflect the watch as stolen, and entered in the NCIC system. Once that is complete, contact your insurance company, and send them a physical copy of the report.

Next you would ask Rolex where you can send the report so it can be added to the "ROLEX" database that they maintain. Rolex isn't linked to the law enforcement computers, and wouldn't have that info given to them without a specific reason. If you share that info with them, they would be able to enter it into the privately owned system.

If it ever shows up at RSC, you'll have to speak with them about getting it back. If a law enforcement agency collects an item that's stolen they try to contact your local agency to follow up, and return the items.

If you have a form of insurance to cover you, I'd be working with them as well. Some things just go away and never surface again. Other things surface after strange events. Keep your hopes up that the item is still around.

We have a new system where all pawn shops, jewelry stores, or gold buyers have to photograph who sold them the item, and take a copy of their drivers license. The purchase is then logged onto a computer that shows every thing related to the purchase. You can find out who is selling what, and pawning guns. Those have solved several theft incidents recently. Maybe your department has ILEADS set up to regulate stolen property being sold for scrap.
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2010, 02:11 PM   #5
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDakarBmw View Post
Cecile,
Sorry you had that happen to you. One of my first questions is, did you give the police the serial number? If so, did you get a case number to get the official report?

If the police department has a serial number for the stolen item, it should be entered in the NCIC system (National Crime Information Computer). This is linked to every state, and if the watch is ever checked, it will show up as stolen.

Second is having a police report to reflect the watch as stolen, and entered in the NCIC system. Once that is complete, contact your insurance company, and send them a physical copy of the report.

Next you would ask Rolex where you can send the report so it can be added to the "ROLEX" database that they maintain. Rolex isn't linked to the law enforcement computers, and wouldn't have that info given to them without a specific reason. If you share that info with them, they would be able to enter it into the privately owned system.

If it ever shows up at RSC, you'll have to speak with them about getting it back. If a law enforcement agency collects an item that's stolen they try to contact your local agency to follow up, and return the items.

If you have a form of insurance to cover you, I'd be working with them as well. Some things just go away and never surface again. Other things surface after strange events. Keep your hopes up that the item is still around.

We have a new system where all pawn shops, jewelry stores, or gold buyers have to photograph who sold them the item, and take a copy of their drivers license. The purchase is then logged onto a computer that shows every thing related to the purchase. You can find out who is selling what, and pawning guns. Those have solved several theft incidents recently. Maybe your department has ILEADS set up to regulate stolen property being sold for scrap.
Exactly. All that is needed for the police to make the NCIC entry is a brand name (here: Rolex), model number & serial number. IMO if Rolex were to come into possession of a watch they know to be stolen, it would be reported where it is found, for example RSC Dallas would call Dallas P.D.. They would then take the watch into evidence & contact you somehow.

I would certainly provide the theft report to Rolex & insurance, and maintain hard copies of all related documentation. Hey, I recovered a stolen DJ once! It was nice to see the owner get it back...

BTW: NCIC = National Crime Information Center. Most all American police agencies have access to their database, and it is secured information according to law. Not as comprehensive as the web, but safe and quite reliable. Stolen property records must be periodically checked by law enforcement agencies, and maintained. Lost property records are removed sooner IIRC, unless their entry is confirmed more frequently.

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2010, 03:08 PM   #6
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

All good advice from us LEO'S!!! In order to enter an item into LEADS, you must have a S/N, and model number. That's why I always cringe when people talk akout tossing out the box and papers with a new watch. That's the best way to keep track of these important numbers.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2010, 07:13 PM   #7
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

I'm pretty sure they have other things to worry about than report it to Rolex. I would call Rolex myself just to make sure that I know that the job was done.
Old 10 July 2010, 09:52 PM   #8
Jeff in Florida

Watch: Sub LV M series
I used to be a law enforcement officer in Florida. I can tell you for a fact that the police will not report it to Rolex, you will have to do that yourself. You should report it both to law enforcement and Rolex, as Rolex will not return the watch directly to you. If the thief pawns the watch and the pawn shop follows the reporting requirements and later sells the watch, the new buyer is the legal owner of the watch from that point on, so it is important to ensure its entered into NCIC so the pawn shop can determine it is stolen before it is sold.
Jeff in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2010, 10:23 PM   #9
rolexsubdate
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecile View Post
......My question is, do the police report the stolen watch to Rolex or is it up to me to do so? I can't get my calls returned by the police and, to be fair, my watch probably isn't high on their priority list.

Thank you for any help you can give me!

--Cecile
My friend, politely put, the police doesn't give a rat's a A$$ about your rolex. There are way way more important things going on for them than some rich guy complaining to them about his Rolex ...... for them to issue a $25 citation for illegal parking is more important to them than your rolex or a 1000 rolexes .... it brings them revenue .... investigating burglaries, thefts doesn't bring them any $$ .....in fact it costs them .....and as far as reporting to Rolex, might as well do it .... Rolex is so haphazardly organized that I doubt if it will be returned to you if sent for servicing by the thief ..... it will go right back to the thief..... you pretty much are out of luck .....like losing cash .... you will never see it again....
rolexsubdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2010, 12:20 AM   #10
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexsubdate View Post
...and as far as reporting to Rolex, might as well do it .... Rolex is so haphazardly organized that I doubt if it will be returned to you if sent for servicing by the thief ..... it will go right back to the thief..... you pretty much are out of luck .....like losing cash .... you will never see it again....
I disagree, in the US, Rolex does not openly share whether a watch has been reported stolen or not. However, elsewhere, in the UK for example, I know that you can call Rolex and ask them if a serial number has been reported stolen or not. So to say that "Rolex is so haphazardly organized" is not true. I do agree that the chances of getting a stolen watch back are pretty slim.
Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2010, 03:41 AM   #11
Cecile
"TRF" Member

Thank you all so much for taking the time to answer me! Everyone's comments have been extremely helpful and I really appreciate you helping a gal out :)
Old 11 July 2010, 04:08 AM   #12
Esexx
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF All Day
Sorry to hear about your loss!

Funny thing (actually not so funny) is I am writing a stolen iPhone4 report as I am reading this post. I hope everyone documents thier serial numbers (and pictures if possible espeially if there are any unique "beauty marks") of your watches!

Old 12 July 2010, 03:07 AM   #13
MagedMS
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 114060
Lost Rolex

I am sorry Cecile for your lost Rolex.. But all this story about reporting to the police & Rolex is just left for chance !!! If I am the thief I wouldn't send the Rolex to any RSC !.. and I think it won't need any service before years... I would sell it outside the US. Wish you all the luck to get it back.
ROLEX DAYTONA-116503 BLABR
ROLEX MILLGAUSS-116400 GV
MagedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2010, 05:11 AM   #14
Cecile
"TRF" Member

Thank you, Maged. I don't suppose I will ever see my little watch again, but I'm waiting on a check from my insurance company so I can buy another one.

I suppose it is rude of me to hope that the thief sells my watch to buy drugs and then he overdoses and dies a slow, painful death. Oh well...
Old 12 July 2010, 05:16 AM   #15
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Sorry about your loss--it stinks. Better thought might be he gets caught someday for being a thief and his past deeds catch up with him!!! Do understand how you feel though as we all have been there in some way or another before!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2010, 05:26 AM   #16
erwin
-

Watch: SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecile View Post
Thank you, Maged. I don't suppose I will ever see my little watch again, but I'm waiting on a check from my insurance company so I can buy another one.

I suppose it is rude of me to hope that the thief sells my watch to buy drugs and then he overdoses and dies a slow, painful death. Oh well...
Yes, it is rude to say that! However, if you say that he sold your watch and hired a hooker, then contracted aids and dies a slow, painful death, then that would have been more appropriate imo!
Sorry about your loss but good to know you had her insured!