The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 May 2008, 12:47 PM   #1
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
I bought a new bike

I needed a new bike to putt around town and generally goof off with my boy so I just bought one of these:
Leftover 2007 Giant Yukon.

and a new one for my wife too:
Leftover 2007 Giant Sedona DX W

Clearance prices

We both need to get more active so it made sense to ride a round a bit and get off the couch. This will be fun.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 12:54 PM   #2
Ashley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
We both need to get more active so it made sense to ride a round a bit and get off the couch. This will be fun.
That's awesome! Biking is such a great way to get outdoors and get in shape, and you can get everywhere you want faster and easier Enjoy!
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 01:14 PM   #3
gtbike72
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
I needed a new bike to putt around town and generally goof off with my boy so I just bought one of these:
Leftover 2007 Giant Yukon.

and a new one for my wife too:
Leftover 2007 Giant Sedona DX W

Clearance prices

is that a 29er?
Old 17 May 2008, 01:19 PM   #4
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbike72 View Post
is that a 29er?
No, both have 26 inch wheels
J. Buffett
Old 17 May 2008, 01:22 PM   #5
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue YM today!
I assume the pedals are some sort of kick starter for the motor? Where is the motor? Ashley, it would take more than a bike for me to get back into shape. Maybe a miracle. Enjoy and have fun ridding with you son.
redshirt1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 01:43 PM   #6
Lol-x
Facilitator

Bicycle riding is the coolest, most enjoyable, healthy way to go except when you need a motorcycle

So I'm guessing your new Giant is a kind of enduro bicycle or is it a mountain bike?
The seats look a little low too.

Bubba I guarantee you 100% a bicycle, if you approach it properly, would get you not just back into shape, but get you in the best shape you have ever been in your life

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 01:59 PM   #7
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
My first expensive bike was the Giant Yukon with rigid fork back in 1995. I have recently retired it for taking my son for bike rides. Giants offer the best bang for the buck.
Old 17 May 2008, 02:09 PM   #8
oneillba
"TRF" Member

Watch: My beloved TT DJ
Bill, what a good way to save gas, enjoy time with the family and get some excercise to boot. Don't overdo it on your first long ride. Enjoy!

My Trusty TT DJ
oneillba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 09:08 PM   #9
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Steve: that's a standard 'cross-trainer': good for off the road, but not too heavy to ride on the road as well...not as nimble as a road bike(thinner tires, lighter frame)...see Terry Newton's 'garage' photos in prior links as a good example of the latter.
best,
dan
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 10:07 PM   #10
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Bicycle riding is the coolest, most enjoyable, healthy way to go except when you need a motorcycle

So I'm guessing your new Giant is a kind of enduro bicycle or is it a mountain bike?

Bubba I guarantee you 100% a bicycle, if you approach it properly, would get you not just back into shape, but get you in the best shape you have ever been in your life
Well said, Steve.

Nice ride, Bill. Riding is the cheapest therapy there is.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 02:12 AM   #11
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Well said, Steve.

Nice ride, Bill. Riding is the cheapest therapy there is.
dP
X 1,000. I concur; bicycling is the cheapest and best form of therapy out there but don't tell my clients that. I'll be put out of business. That will never happen as most people are looking for the easier, softer way all of the time.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 03:15 AM   #12
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Newton View Post
X 1,000. I concur; bicycling is the cheapest and best form of therapy out there but don't tell my clients that. I'll be put out of business. That will never happen as most people are looking for the easier, softer way all of the time.

Terry Newton
Couple of questions?

I will only ride around the neighborhood which has a 10 degree grade of about 300 yards then mostly flat.

I have not owned a bike since I was 10, some sort of Schwinn 10 speed.

The bike must be comfortable.

The type of motorcycles I drive all have flat seats and wide handlebars and I sit straight up. I think the term is Standard. Just for reference only.

What type of bike?

Up until 50 I was able to run 5 minute miles. Now would be around 10. I am 6' 2" and weight 180lbs. Due to some health issues I have not lifted weights in five years. Body fat is 12%. I do have high blood pressure.

How should I start out?

I trust you guys more than my doctor or the old people, I mean those my age, that work at Wal-Mart.
Old 18 May 2008, 07:03 AM   #13
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Joe:

Since it sounds like you will not be doing that much riding I would suggest a cross-bike. That is a bike that can be used for street and light trail use. A straight hard-core mountain bike would be very expensive and have a lot of grip and tread on the tires to go through various terrain. A racing bike will have the drop handlebars and will be uncomfortable for you and the tires are so narrow that you will only be able to be on the road with it. A cross-bike has you sitting more upright and is more comfortable. You can spend 400 plus on a cross-bike and have it for the rest of your life as a good investment. I would suggest you go to a good bicycle store in your area. Explain the type of riding you want to do and let them know that you don't want more of a bike than what your needs dictate. They will accommodate your request. Cannondale, Bianchi, Trek, Giant, Specialized, etc. all have good cross-bikes or hybrids as they are called.

Good-Luck and let us know what you decided on. If you want any further advice also I'll give you my phone # and help you out all I can.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 07:21 AM   #14
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Joe: do the bike deal, and terry can help you pick one out. but, get a physical and stress test first, IMHO.
best,
dan
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 11:46 AM   #15
Lol-x
Facilitator

Bubba there is as much about bicycles (or more) as there is about Rolex watches.
However, to you and anyone in a similar position I would suggest the following:
1. Get a Cannondale Bad Boy without front suspension forks but you can get with or without disc brakes(I have no commercial or other direct or indirect association with Cannondale) I just reckon these bikes are the business in terms of quality, options and value for money.
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/cusa/model-8BRD.html
2. The fit of the bike to your size is very important. i.e you do not want to be bent over so that your knees are hitting you in the chest when you pedal. Cannondale make a range of sizes.
3. Don't worry about the seat too much, almost any bicycle seat is going to feel uncomfortable until you start to ride more often, but after a few week, it will start to feel fine.
4. Don't do long rides to start with, but build up over time, the easiest way to get demotivated is to ride too much too soon. 15 minutes per day or if that is not possible then do at least 3 time a week for the first week, and build up slowly from there.
5. Don't worry about going fast, the gears are there to allow you to pedel with comfort no matter what the nature of the road/terrain, aim at pedalling at a cadency of around 80 revolutions per minute.
I could go on endlessly but these are a few suggestions.
Good Luck on whatever you decide.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 02:04 PM   #16
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Newton View Post
Joe:

Since it sounds like you will not be doing that much riding I would suggest a cross-bike. That is a bike that can be used for street and light trail use. A straight hard-core mountain bike would be very expensive and have a lot of grip and tread on the tires to go through various terrain. A racing bike will have the drop handlebars and will be uncomfortable for you and the tires are so narrow that you will only be able to be on the road with it. A cross-bike has you sitting more upright and is more comfortable. You can spend 400 plus on a cross-bike and have it for the rest of your life as a good investment. I would suggest you go to a good bicycle store in your area. Explain the type of riding you want to do and let them know that you don't want more of a bike than what your needs dictate. They will accommodate your request. Cannondale, Bianchi, Trek, Giant, Specialized, etc. all have good cross-bikes or hybrids as they are called.

Good-Luck and let us know what you decided on. If you want any further advice also I'll give you my phone # and help you out all I can.

Terry Newton

My pop-in-law bought a Trek cross bike a few years ago. He's 78 and still rides. And looks right sporting with his cranberry red bike and matching helmet. He finds it very comfortable, too.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 09:47 PM   #17
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Ouch.
Woke up sore today but feeling good because of it.
Took two short bike rides yesterday along the East Bay bike path. One with my wife, one with my son. We saw lots of folks out enjoying the day. I wonder if they're as sore as I am?

The bike is better than I had hoped, although the seat is hard and narrow and it's going to take some getting used to. Back in the early 90's I used to ride a lot. Most days after work and weekends around town and nearby trails. Bikes sure have changed a lot since then. The aluminum frame is so much stiffer than my old 1990 chromoly bike. The handling is so responsive, even with the suspension fork. The brakes are, well, awesome.
I can already tell, for what I'm going to do with it this bike will suit me well.
Now where's the ibuprofen?
J. Buffett
Old 18 May 2008, 10:41 PM   #18
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
My pop-in-law bought a Trek cross bike a few years ago. He's 78 and still rides. And looks right sporting with his cranberry red bike and matching helmet. He finds it very comfortable, too.

Right now I have a cranberry arse from the wire brush and comet trying to remove our special Tatoo. Seems it will stay around a good bit longer. My five year old is driving me nuts to see the homemade tatoo.