The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 July 2016, 06:36 PM   #61
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
What I really don't understand why these people hate us in the free world so much that they want to kill us.
In my country they receive free housing and have priority over ordinary citizens, unlimited free legal aid, healthcare and every month a check for the rest of their lives, no obligations at all and still ... only hatred.
Old 23 July 2016, 07:34 PM   #62
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
What I really don't understand why these people hate us in the free world so much that they want to kill us.
In my country they receive free housing and have priority over ordinary citizens, unlimited free legal aid, healthcare and every month a check for the rest of their lives, no obligations at all and still ... only hatred.
Media is reporting the shooter as an 18 y/o German of german-iranian decent. Not sure who you mean by "these people", if the reports are accurate he is one the "us in the free world".
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 08:19 PM   #63
josephashburnnn
"TRF" Member

This is crazy!
josephashburnnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 08:44 PM   #64
Rootbeer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Media is reporting the shooter as an 18 y/o German of german-iranian decent. Not sure who you mean by "these people", if the reports are accurate he is one the "us in the free world".
And the three victims so far named by the Daily Mail are certainly not of German descent. It makes it no less tragic, but it seems this was not linked to terror and more in the vein of Holmes/Aurora or Harris & Klebold/Columbine.
Rootbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 10:18 PM   #65
linesiders

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootbeer View Post
And the three victims so far named by the Daily Mail are certainly not of German descent. It makes it no less tragic, but it seems this was not linked to terror and more in the vein of Holmes/Aurora or Harris & Klebold/Columbine.

This was very much Terrorism, German domestic terrorism perhaps, but still terrorism. Ideology (Bader Meinhof / RAF / Weather Underground), Religious - can also be ideology in the name of religion - (ISIS), Nationalistic (IRA), Environmental (ELF), and then simply mental health: all are terrorism.
Old 23 July 2016, 10:19 PM   #66
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Iranians are mostly Sunni so this doesn't look like Isis, plus the shooter shouted out he was a German earlier, so I think this is probably more mental health issues than ideological.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 11:28 PM   #67
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
This was very much Terrorism, German domestic terrorism perhaps, but still terrorism. Ideology (Bader Meinhof / RAF / Weather Underground), Religious - can also be ideology in the name of religion - (ISIS), Nationalistic (IRA), Environmental (ELF), and then simply mental health: all are terrorism.
Disagree. Some things are just crimes. Painting everything as a terror attack is just demagoguery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Iranians are mostly Sunni so this doesn't look like Isis, plus the shooter shouted out he was a German earlier, so I think this is probably more mental health issues than ideological.
Iranians are mostly Shiite.

ISIS are mostly khawarij. Their leadership claim to be sunni, but don't practice much from the sunnah, which is a prerequisite of being sunni.
Old 24 July 2016, 01:30 AM   #68
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Quote:
If we can't avoid the topic of terrorism, we should at least wait for confirmed facts to be revealed before commenting. The moment by moment commentary at the beginning of this thread and the Dallas shooting thread parroted inaccurate media coverage. Then people proceed to opine about the inaccurate information.

CNN has this factoid, which creates quite a bit of uncertainty as to what actually happened.

"A profanity-filled verbal exchange between a man who matches the description of the Munich shooter and a witness was posted on social media Friday. The exchange, recorded on two different camera phones, captured an intense conversation that ends in gunfire. The man who appears to be a shooter said insulting things about Turks, did not espouse jihadist ideology and spoke with a German accent."
Abdullah, you are absolutely right. In this instance, the Munich shooter turned out to be a psychologically damaged individual that was obsessed with mass killings. I am the first to admit that I, indeed, jumped the gun on my assessment of this event. I apologize for anyone hurt by my comment.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 02:10 AM   #69
linesiders

Quote:
Disagree. Some things are just crimes. Painting everything as a terror attack is just demagoguery
Trying to be not too far into the weeds ;) but better than knee jerk, jerk ;)
Old 24 July 2016, 02:12 AM   #70
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
Trying to be not too far into the weeds ;) but better than knee jerk, jerk ;)
Maybe you can clarify that for me.
Old 24 July 2016, 02:51 AM   #71
linesiders

Quote:
Maybe you can clarify that for me.
Haha - not calling you a jerk - seriously - I appreciate the personal experience and knowledge you bring to topics and discussion here. I was simply stuttering on my knee jerk comment.

As for the generalization on whether terrorism or crime we do paint with a broader brush and getting into the weeds allows for a more a distinct discussion. It is exacerbqted when an old guy like me is doing it on a mobile device.
Old 24 July 2016, 03:27 AM   #72
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
People are complicated and they may have multiple motivations for their actions. Look at the Orlando shooter for instance. We attempt to put it into a neat little box in order to try and make sense of the nonsensical. Ultimately ISIS got what they wanted with this guy. Did they inspire him that extra 1% or 90% that he needed to have the stones and motivation to carry out this act? We will never know.
Old 24 July 2016, 04:47 AM   #73
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Terror attack in Munich right now

Quote:
If we can't avoid the topic of terrorism, we should at least wait for confirmed facts to be revealed before commenting. The moment by moment commentary at the beginning of this thread and the Dallas shooting thread parroted inaccurate media coverage. Then people proceed to opine about the inaccurate information.

CNN has this factoid, which creates quite a bit of uncertainty as to what actually happened.

"A profanity-filled verbal exchange between a man who matches the description of the Munich shooter and a witness was posted on social media Friday. The exchange, recorded on two different camera phones, captured an intense conversation that ends in gunfire. The man who appears to be a shooter said insulting things about Turks, did not espouse jihadist ideology and spoke with a German accent."

While we don't agree on everything, I do agree with you on this 100%
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 05:58 AM   #74
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Disagree. Some things are just crimes. Painting everything as a terror attack is just demagoguery.

ISIS are mostly khawarij. Their leadership claim to be sunni, but don't practice much from the sunnah, which is a prerequisite of being sunni.
You never cease to amaze me with your enormous ocean of knowledge.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 07:11 AM   #75
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Not once did something good from one of these threads. As almost everyone sees the news on the www, newspaper or TV I do not see the need to share this on a watchforum.
I visit TRF for my enjoyment and to share my passion with others, not to see these threads.

Say what you want, 9 times out of 10 it goes political and gets locked so why not stop making these topics altogether, please.
If you don't like them or get any value from them then feel free to ignore them and move on.
I find them informative and enjoy the varied viewpoints of members from around the world.
Current event topics only get political when members can't control themselves and feel the need to interject their personal opinions on topics that they could have otherwise ignored.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 08:37 AM   #76
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

Yes, that's what I meant, Shiite. And Isis supposedly Sunni.

Reports are that he was a bullied kid.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 09:36 AM   #77
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
You never cease to amaze me with your enormous ocean of knowledge.
Abdullah and Grady are the 'voices' of experience, reason and intelligence, so no surprises there

RIP to the victims.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 03:17 PM   #78
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
If you don't like them or get any value from them then feel free to ignore them and move on.
I find them informative and enjoy the varied viewpoints of members from around the world.
Current event topics only get political when members can't control themselves and feel the need to interject their personal opinions on topics that they could have otherwise ignored.
I agree with this, I too enjoy (but don't always agree with) different opinions/viewpoints from around the world.

It is a shame that on a number of occasions, I have gone to read a good thread after waking up the next morning, only to find that it has been closed because someone couldn't obey the rules.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote