The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27 October 2022, 03:54 AM   #1
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Thinking of buying a Service 1675 — a few questions:

Here I am… again! I’m giving up, basically: I can’t seem to find the right modern watch (aesthetically), so I’m back considering a 1675. I love the vintage looks and proportions of the 16750/16750 (the 16710 loses them), but I’ve had bad luck with my last two with repeated stalling (despite RSC service on both). I gave up on the 1675 and tried to go with more modern watches (greater functionality, more resistance to life, but less aesthetic pleasure).

I’m all about functionality, so I’m actively seeking a service watch and I’ve the option to buy this:

There is an original box, no papers, a full and complete service from RSC (which changed most of the wheels, dial, handset, bracelet, bezel, and insert).

The dial is service, as is the handset and likely the date wheel. It’s a ‘72, but I though this year came with a silver date wheel (I had a ‘71 with a silver wheel once). Is white correct?

The bracelet is the correct one, but new from RSC. I’m not sure why they changed it. It also comes with the USA jubilee which was its original bracelet.

These photos aren’t the best, sorry, but the case doesn’t look overly polished to me. Can anyone advise on the lug shape and the crown guards? They seem quite rounded to me. Not that polishing is that much is an issue to me — I’m just wondering how much shape has been lost!

Do you think it’s a bit small on my wrist in the mirror shot? I’ve been wearing a 42mm Omega for a while so the 1675 looks small to me — though I have worn them for years. I’m beginning to wonder if I’m getting fatter!

By comparison, here are photo of a Polar Exp II from an AD last month:

The photo isn’t great due to compression, but all visible wheels are new and many of the screws have been replaced too.

The watch is not running at COSC specs, which surprises me. The seller (ex Rolex AD and Rolex Watchmaker) says that the older models are not fiddled with at RSC to get them to within COSC due to the effort that’s involved; is this the case?

It comes with 2 year warranty from RSC, and only came back last month. The watch isn’t far of COSC at -3 per day, but should RSC get them within COSC and could/should I send it back for regulation?

Given the amount of new wheels and other components in the movement, should the watch not be nearer to COSC rates, or is the deviance from wear elsewhere in the movement; if so, where?

Should I expect this movement to be more reliable/resistant to stalling due to jarring given its new wheels etc. than other 1570 movements of this vintage?

It’s six service marks in the caseback and the movement looks very good with new screws but marks on the rotor (all the wheels that can be seen without removing the movement are new).

Finally, the seller wants £9,225 for it; box, no papers, two bracelets, two year RSC warranty, on a service watch. Service watches are tricky to value, but is this a reasonable buy (given that I DO want a service watch and I really want one with a very reliable movement given my experiences with stalling).

Sorry for so many questions and thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote