The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 September 2009, 07:51 AM   #1
j1crimmins
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, IWC
16710 versus 14060

Was hoping for some feedback on a 16710 versus a 14060? I love both watches and like the fact they're not as common. I currently have a Omega Planet Ocean, Omega GMT, IWC Mark XVI, Omega Deville and Datejust and trying to figure out which watch to get out of it and which of the two I'm considering would be the best fit for the collection. I'm leaning towards getting out of the IWC Mark XVI.

Any feedback is most welcomed. If you think I should go in a different direction based on the current collection, please let me know.

Thanks,

John
j1crimmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2009, 07:35 AM   #2
JCB62
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1985 GMT Master SS
Hi John. I love the 2 watches you are chosing from. although I cant speak to the 16710, I do own a GMT 16750 Pepsi, and not long ago bought the 14060 Submariner No Date. Since I've owned the GMT for over 24 years, that will always be my favorite. It has been a work horse. I've worn it daily and worn it during all kinds of activities...skiing, swimming, golfing, camping, yard work, painting, etc...you name it. And it looks just as good with a suit and tie giving a presentation in a board room. The GMT bezel is useful if you ever travel, or you have family or friends in different time zones. I actually use the GMT function quite a bit. I just sent mine into the Dallas service center for a much needed 'spa visit'. I've had it serviced regularly every 4 or 5 years at an authorized dealer, but since it's becoming a 'vintage piece' soon, I thought I'd spring for the full treatment. I cant wait to get it back, should be back on my wrist looking like brand new by mid October.
Now, as for the 14060...what can I say? It's such a classic. After going 24 years without a new watch, I just bought mine 'pre-owned' on one of the sales forums last July. I've always wanted another Rolex, and pretty much had settled that on my 50th b-day in 2012, I'd buy myself a Submariner. Well, I ran across an opprotunity,a nd I figured they are only going to get more expensive in the next few years, I may as well save a few bucks and just get it now. I told myself I'd lock it in the safe till my 50th...that lasted a day. I'm wearing it right now. I love the classic, clean look, although I'll admit, I still look at the watch for the date sometimes...hard habit to break. I also love the whole James Bond connection. I have been a huge Bond fan since I was a kid, and used to think it was so cool when they'd show his Rolex. It was always a Sub - No Date, back when James Bond wore a Rolex....I hate the new Omega deal the new Bond's use.
I also do use the Sub bezel quite a bit...although not for diving, but it is very handy to have for timing anything, from a workout or run to when to flip the T-Bone. It's a handy tool.
Whatever you choose, you'll love. You cant go wrong either way. Good luck and enjoy!
Tag Heuer Aquaracer 500M
JCB62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2009, 07:41 AM   #3
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Both classics. For me the GMT wins because of the date, 2nd timezone, and multiple bezel and bracelet combos.
Good luck,
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2009, 08:57 AM   #4
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
The trick is choosing between the two! I don't have a no date, but I do have a 16710 and a 16610. My best advice is to get both. You won't regret it.
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote