The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Announcements/feedback & support

Old 4 August 2019, 12:23 PM   #1
train-time
"TRF" Member

Sad but true. The forum has lost the closeness and quality that it once had. Content has become dramatically diluted of knowledge, respect and class. Way too many new members, mostly from the US. It's like the facebook for watches now. It's probably time to move on and keep in touch with the WIS community locally. Time to hang it up. It's no longer the fun it once was.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (24.2 KB, 131 views)
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 12:29 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
Sad but true. The forum has lost the closeness and quality that it once had. Content has become dramatically diluted of knowledge, respect and class. Way too many new members, mostly from the US. It's like the facebook for watches now. It's probably time to move on and keep in touch with the WIS community locally. Time to hang it up. It's no longer the fun it once was.
Wait...you might win a Harrods Black Bay
Old 4 August 2019, 12:54 PM   #3
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
We can redraw?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 01:20 PM   #4
CalSRQ1

Watch: 5513
Thank you Peter. That post was amazing.
CalSRQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 01:47 PM   #5
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
I joined pretty quickly after finding TRF ( number 55k approximately, May 2011). There are roughly 175K members more at the moment. Bound to be some changes in tone and content given the rapid growth.

And if you go back to early contributors, they pretty much don't post any longer..people like me changed the tone, I guess ( I hope not). Natural evolution of an online forum, at any rate.

Read the "wheat", post where you want, skip the "chaff".
Old 4 August 2019, 03:43 PM   #6
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
Read the "wheat", post where you want, skip the "chaff".
This.

Hope your doing well Dan. Go Pack Go.
Old 4 August 2019, 01:56 PM   #7
joe100

Watch: Explorer
I was around a while before we even had 10,000 members. Those were the days. We actually discussed watches and almost every thread was interesting. These days I just can’t care about shortages or stupid nicknames.

Now at a quarter million users, it’s all changed.

I’d like to see a special section created for those of us who have put the time and energy into contributing useful information to the board. Something not based on pledge member status, a higher tier area to get above the noise.
Old 4 August 2019, 02:04 PM   #8
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
I was around a while before we even had 10,000 members. Those were the days. We actually discussed watches and almost every thread was interesting. These days I just can’t care about shortages or stupid nicknames.

Now at a quarter million users, it’s all changed.

I’d like to see a special section created for those of us who have put the time and energy into contributing useful information to the board. Something not based on pledge member status, a higher tier area to get above the noise.
Elite status, maybe?

I remember when I joined up, you were one of the most helpful and informative members, and one of my first friends here. I guess its like any club, the more members you have, the more diluted the resources. But as long as folks keep it civil and within the rules, they can talk about what they want. It's just a pity that most just seem to want to talk about money, monetary value or investment, or whatever. The longer you're here, the more annoying it gets. That's just the nature of the beast (no pun intended).
Old 4 August 2019, 02:19 PM   #9
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Forums evolve and change with the times. There’s still tons of good content buried in the daily drama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 10:23 PM   #10
THC

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze60 View Post
Forums evolve and change with the times. There’s still tons of good content buried in the daily drama.

Well said Dan
THC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 02:59 PM   #11
Rolexism_
"TRF" Member

All the education is currently on shortage!

Rolexism_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 07:01 PM   #12
Hendrikus
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them...
Is there not a solution to this? Can we have a sub-forum that is something like "Rolex Gossip/Buying from AD or Grey woes" and then leave the other forums for the more technical stuff?
Old 4 August 2019, 07:33 PM   #13
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrikus View Post
Is there not a solution to this? Can we have a sub-forum that is something like "Rolex Gossip/Buying from AD or Grey woes" and then leave the other forums for the more technical stuff?
We do have space for more technical and other Rolex talk here...but as you can see it's not very well patronised compared to the more mainstream section. Maybe we should just delete that one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Untitled.jpeg (152.9 KB, 157 views)
Old 4 August 2019, 07:39 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
We do have space for more technical and other Rolex talk here...but as you can see it's not very well patronised compared to the more mainstream section.
Have to agree Adam when this forum started many of the mods spent many hours getting most Rolex and other watch information on forum.But with today's push button age most want everything done for them instead of using the search function most all watch related things can be found on forum.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 05:44 PM   #15
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Generally speaking, most Rolex related questions I have are usually ones that have been asked by a TRF member before. Many a time I Google the question and add "rolexforums" at the end, and usually that question has been asked and answered on TRF (or I just use the TRF search function).

TRF is a great resource for even the most obscure end link question! We owe a big debt to the mods and members before us for recording all this information on TRF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree Adam when this forum started many of the mods spent many hours getting most Rolex and other watch information on forum.But with today's push button age most want everything done for them instead of using the search function most all watch related things can be found on forum.
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 11:23 PM   #16
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We do have space for more technical and other Rolex talk here...but as you can see it's not very well patronised compared to the more mainstream section. Maybe we should just delete that one.
Is there a better way to communicate this to the members and, for example, when something does get posted in the wrong area, it gets moved? I'm thinking of the example of the post yesterday with the watch hands not not being made by Rolex. That was posted in general, but should be in the tech forum.

Is there a way to really sort the chaff from the wheat?

Of even if mods could mark certina threads as educational (in any forum) and then users would have a "filter for study" button or something.

It is great to see some for the TRF team thinking about a solution or change.
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 11:50 PM   #17
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatpauli View Post
Is there a better way to communicate this to the members and, for example, when something does get posted in the wrong area, it gets moved? I'm thinking of the example of the post yesterday with the watch hands not not being made by Rolex. That was posted in general, but should be in the tech forum.

Is there a way to really sort the chaff from the wheat?

Of even if mods could mark certina threads as educational (in any forum) and then users would have a "filter for study" button or something.

It is great to see some for the TRF team thinking about a solution or change.
We move misplaced posts around all the time, when we're not stopping scammers or tracking down con artists or banning rude jerks or clearing lists of posts awaiting moderation. There's really a lot to do for a handful of guys working on their own free time, voluntarily. Fine tuning the content to be more user friendly is not exactly top priority
Old 5 August 2019, 02:47 AM   #18
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We move misplaced posts around all the time, when we're not stopping scammers or tracking down con artists or banning rude jerks or clearing lists of posts awaiting moderation. There's really a lot to do for a handful of guys working on their own free time, voluntarily. Fine tuning the content to be more user friendly is not exactly top priority
That's fair. Is eliciting more help an option? I'm sure there are people here, myself included, who would be more than willing to lend a hand. Even if it is just to help sort posts.

The membership has grown exponentially, has the moderation team?
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 08:09 PM   #19
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Sadly that seems to be the flavor nowadays. However, many new members are just as motivated to learn in the forum. In fact, some new members have been wearing Rolex watches 30 years ago and have been participating in the early watch forums.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 10:36 PM   #20
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello,

Years ago, this forum used to be flooded with really interesting, esoteric knowledge of Rolex shared by people who really knew their stuff. The first time I heard about a "Bart Simpson" cornet was here. The first time I started learning about the stop-start history of the Daytona was on here, etc.

But now it is primarily a mix of "how do I get a Rolex" (universally, go grey) or "is this Rolex over-polished" (universally, yes) or "is this a good deal" (universally, I wouldn't) with a few incomings mixed in...

Where did all the experts go? Where did all the amazing information posts go?

The other day we had one of said posts - about Rolex hands not being in-house. It felt like half the replies where, "why are you posting this?" so I believe the culture has fundamentally shifted away from knowledge based posts.

So I ask, where did all the education go?

-Paul

Run out of town by the “investors.”

Old 4 August 2019, 11:22 PM   #21
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello,

Years ago, this forum used to be flooded with really interesting, esoteric knowledge of Rolex shared by people who really knew their stuff. The first time I heard about a "Bart Simpson" cornet was here. The first time I started learning about the stop-start history of the Daytona was on here, etc.

But now it is primarily a mix of "how do I get a Rolex" (universally, go grey) or "is this Rolex over-polished" (universally, yes) or "is this a good deal" (universally, I wouldn't) with a few incomings mixed in...

The other day we had one of said posts - about Rolex hands not being in-house. It felt like half the replies where, "why are you posting this?" so I believe the culture has fundamentally shifted away from knowledge based posts.

-Paul

Good post, thanks!
I have been here over a year now and this post made me think:
I am part of the problem—I’ve been polluting this fine forum...
I am very grateful for all the information&education; I’ve learnt a lot. Maby posting less, trying to read&learn more in the future?

FinWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 12:17 AM   #22
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
It would be nice to get away from complaints, talks about pricing, which I believe is a subterfuge to drive them up more, and actually discuss things substantively. I’m thinking about moving on as these dominate the forum now.
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 12:50 AM   #23
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg5512 View Post
It would be nice to get away from complaints, talks about pricing, which I believe is a subterfuge to drive them up more, and actually discuss things substantively. I’m thinking about moving on as these dominate the forum now.
Pricing posts have always dominated the forum. The difference was back in 2007 or so it was who got the biggest discount on a sub or gmt. And constant praise about the trusted sellers offering subs at 15% off msrp.

How quickly things change to how much profit can I make and how dare the trusted sellers charge a 100% premium for Daytona’s.

Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 02:57 AM   #24
HauteHorlogerie
Banned

Watch: 519LN | 64A
Sick and tired of every thread being about prices and no AD inventory and basel... gets old quick
HauteHorlogerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 03:55 AM   #25
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I haven't been here that long, but some of the old guard are still around and I genuinely get excited when I see they've posted.

Maybe things will go back to the way they once were but I doubt it.

I know everyone has to start somewhere , but these days most new members from the last year or two come across terribly because their motivations are different.

We used to have way more discussions about the watches themselves. The new crowd just wants to complain or show off their complete lack of common sense or knowledge.

I see the guys who have been here for 10 years or more and I'm willing to listen to anything they have to say. They've earned it. They have the perspective.

Edit - here's one thing that infuriates me personally. All the new complainers crying about the trusted sellers charging premiums these days. Guess what? That's the market. 4 years ago every trusted seller was getting everyone at least 10% off all steel sports models except the Daytona. Everything was under retail. It's so annoying seeing all these babies crying about the current situation when they weren't around when things were the other way around.
Old 5 August 2019, 04:43 AM   #26
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
I haven't been here that long, but some of the old guard are still around and I genuinely get excited when I see they've posted.

Maybe things will go back to the way they once were but I doubt it.

I know everyone has to start somewhere , but these days most new members from the last year or two come across terribly because their motivations are different.

We used to have way more discussions about the watches themselves. The new crowd just wants to complain or show off their complete lack of common sense or knowledge.

I see the guys who have been here for 10 years or more and I'm willing to listen to anything they have to say. They've earned it. They have the perspective.

Edit - here's one thing that infuriates me personally. All the new complainers crying about the trusted sellers charging premiums these days. Guess what? That's the market. 4 years ago every trusted seller was getting everyone at least 10% off all steel sports models except the Daytona. Everything was under retail. It's so annoying seeing all these babies crying about the current situation when they weren't around when things were the other way around.

I feel so sorry...
People are getting really nasty here... why?
I think that all of us newcomers; we don’t deserve the hatred/angry thoughts presented here.
Maby this forum would be better without us?
Maby we should all try to be polite&respectful towards eachother.
Maby my point of view is not always the best?
This kind of angry writing is not good for the atmosphere.
I truly respect all the older people here (all the knowledge, all the support..), but after reading this thread I start to feel that we newcomers are not liked here.
All the best!!!

FinWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 05:40 AM   #27
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinWatch View Post
I feel so sorry...
People are getting really nasty here... why?
I think that all of us newcomers; we don’t deserve the hatred/angry thoughts presented here.
Maby this forum would be better without us?
Maby we should all try to be polite&respectful towards eachother.
Maby my point of view is not always the best?
This kind of angry writing is not good for the atmosphere.
I truly respect all the older people here (all the knowledge, all the support..), but after reading this thread I start to feel that we newcomers are not liked here.
All the best!!!

No worries. This place is full of nice members who joined recently.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 06:24 AM   #28
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Old 5 August 2019, 10:31 PM   #29
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinWatch View Post
All the best!!!

Everyone is welcome here.

When anyone posts something that could either be searched or has already been posted multiple times in the same day, it very tiresome. I already spend less time because of the lack of content.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 04:00 AM   #30
itsjknight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello,

-Paul
They probably got tired of all the stupid names people give Rolex watches... like batman, batgirl etc

It's a different crowd on here then then the old TURF forums or even when this one started when JJ was still here.
itsjknight is offline   Reply With Quote