The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 2 April 2017, 08:57 PM   #1
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Icon8 Transavia Airlines - worst airline ever? Yes.

I should be writing this message from Marrakech, but, instead, I am at home. Sure, it's therapeutic to write this, but mostly I think it's important for travelers to know how bad is Transavia Airlines. For those who don't know, Transavia is the low-cost airline of Air France meant to compete with Ryanair and Easy Jet.

In short, we had a flight today from Orly airport at 08h20. We arrived at 06h30 to a fully locked down airport - two "suspect suitcases" meant the bomb squad had been called in.

Two full hours later (two hours!!), the airport reopened.... and our flight took off as scheduled without waiting for dozens of people! For the plane to wait would have meant a surcharge from the airport for the airline, and Transavia informed us that they considered the security situation not to be their concern.

It gets better.

Amazingly, they made people buy new tickets, because they had "missed" their flight! And, since this is the start of school holidays in France, no open flights until tomorrow afternoon.

As a "commercial gesture", the airline agreed to book me and my family "without a penalty", unlike others in line, who had visibly been very angry with the airline representatives. But, they would not change our return without penalty so we could extend our trip by one day.

Transavia was the only airline not to delay their flights for their customers. When we left the airport at 10, there still were flights that had been scheduled to leave at 07h30 that had not yet taken off.

So, Transavia Airlines? No, never, ever again. And I advise you to do the same.
Old 2 April 2017, 09:02 PM   #2
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
I believe Transavia is still better than Air India.
Old 2 April 2017, 09:12 PM   #3
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Most airlines nowadays sucks, and treats passengers like dirt. It's just a matter of who sucks more. Not surprising a lot of people hate flying. I think I recall a "hate flying thread" recently here. It's a competitive business and they try to get away with it as much as possible.

That said, I love my National carrier Singapore Airlines and try to fly them as much as possible. It's expensive but seldom do I have a bad experience
Old 2 April 2017, 09:17 PM   #4
Cru Jones

^ Ben, yeah, flying is tough, but I fly a lot and find EasyJet, Lufthansa, Corsair, even Air France to be okay. They seemingly try to cater to their customers ... what happened today with Transavia and dozens of their customers was beyond a new low. To me, it was shocking.

As long as there is another airline for your destination, take it instead of Transavia. And if Transavia is, for some bizarre reason, the only airline serving your destination, pick somewhere else to go.
Old 2 April 2017, 10:03 PM   #5
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Never even heard of them before now. Been to Marrakesh before?
Old 2 April 2017, 10:06 PM   #6
KarlS
Banned

Airlines are generally a grudge purchase. Nobody truly enjoys the process of travel (i dont)...i spent 2 hours starring at am empty carasoul waiting for luggage last week in Dubai...couldn't unload the plane as it had been raining!!! Sigh i would have hoped for a better excuse.

This thread will now become you think you hsad it tough let me tell you about how bad mine is!!
Old 2 April 2017, 10:10 PM   #7
texex91
"TRF" Member

Don't know the airline, but I stay far away from low cost airlines in Europe. They (for me) are not worth the trouble vs the cost. I made the mistake with EasyJet MANY years ago and vowed I'd never do that again.
Old 2 April 2017, 10:56 PM   #8
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Airlines are generally a grudge purchase. Nobody truly enjoys the process of travel (i dont)...i spent 2 hours starring at am empty carasoul waiting for luggage last week in Dubai...couldn't unload the plane as it had been raining!!! Sigh i would have hoped for a better excuse.

This thread will now become you think you hsad it tough let me tell you about how bad mine is!!
ME airports aren't set up for rain. They use open luggage carts. Think how irritated you'd be if your luggage was soaking wet, not to mention all the claims they would have to process. And unlike the US, the airport does the luggage handling, not the airline.
Old 2 April 2017, 11:02 PM   #9
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Never even heard of them before now. Been to Marrakesh before?

A couple of times. It's great, but no good (or ok) airlines serve it. :-(
Old 3 April 2017, 12:06 AM   #10
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
ME airports aren't set up for rain. They use open luggage carts. Think how irritated you'd be if your luggage was soaking wet, not to mention all the claims they would have to process. And unlike the US, the airport does the luggage handling, not the airline.
U mean they load the luggage the old fashioned why on a belt and not in a nifty aluminum container?
Old 3 April 2017, 12:28 AM   #11
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
U mean they load the luggage the old fashioned why on a belt and not in a nifty aluminum container?
It depends on the origin and aircraft, but most aircraft are on a belt. The other issue is crew safety. They aren't going to let the baggage guys out on the ramp in a storm.
Old 3 April 2017, 12:30 AM   #12
martinr
"TRF" Member

Never heard of them but I've had good experiences with low cost Vueling.
Old 3 April 2017, 01:01 AM   #13
KDS777
Banned

Watch: 16618LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cru jones
For the plane to wait would have meant a surcharge from the airport for the airline, and Transavia informed us that they considered the security situation not to be their concern.
I avoid low cost carriers like the plague for reasons other than this........but if you read the fine print within the "condtions of carriage" on your ticket, you'll clearly see that they are within their rights legally, and you agreed to these, by purchasing the ticket.

Having said that, they are also 100% correct that the security issue is not for them to bare the financial cost of by withholding the aircraft, unless of course the airport operating authority passed along a financial concession to enable that, as it is the airport collecting the fee that they didn't want to pay. The airport operator is the culprit here.......and all the airlines that day were stuck in the middle.

Asking you to purchase new tickets though is totally uncalled for, and in my opinion, probably illegal in our airline marketplace, I'd have to check.

I've been rain delayed on the ground before due to lightning however.........if there are thunder clouds over the airport when it is raining, the bag smashers won't go onto the tarmac for fear of lightning strikes.
Old 3 April 2017, 01:12 AM   #14
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
It depends on the origin and aircraft, but most aircraft are on a belt. The other issue is crew safety. They aren't going to let the baggage guys out on the ramp in a storm.
We'll you learn something every day. I was sure that Emirares operating their 777 (Capt Andy at the helm) would have dumped all their luggage in those little aluminium pods that get stuck in the hold and thus a simple case for DNata to take out and put on the conveyer belt. Considering how's was the only belt that didn't seem to ever receive luggage I am still cynical!!
Old 3 April 2017, 01:18 AM   #15
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDS777 View Post
I avoid low cost carriers like the plague for reasons other than this........but if you read fine print within the "condtions of carriage" on your ticket, you'll clearly see that they are within their rights legally, and you agreed to these, by purchasing the ticket.

Having said that, they are also 100% correct that the security issue is not for them to bare the financial cost of by withholding the aircraft, unless of course the airport operating authority passed along a financial concession to enable that, as it is the airport collecting the fee that they didn't want to pay. The airport operator is the culprit here.......and all the airlines that day were stuck in the middle.

Asking you to purchase new tickets though is totally uncalled for, and in my opinion, probably illegal in our airline marketplace, I'd have to check.

I've been rain delayed on the ground before due to lightning however.........if there are thunder clouds over the airport when it is raining, the bag smashers won't go onto the tarmac for fear of lightning strikes.
Same here on all accounts.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Old 3 April 2017, 01:29 AM   #16
Star Ferry
Banned

That sounds terrible, but at least you know it's your last time flying with them

Speaking of Ryanair, on the right is a photo of Prince William flying with them. On the left is a photo of him during happier times

Old 3 April 2017, 01:41 AM   #17
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I believe Transavia is still better than Air India.
And both are better than Air Koryo.
Old 3 April 2017, 01:48 AM   #18
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
A couple of times. It's great, but no good (or ok) airlines serve it. :-(

Thanks, thinking of going.
Old 3 April 2017, 01:51 AM   #19
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Cru, EU has probably the best laws in the world protecting the consumer when it comes to air travel. I haven't checked now, but could this ordeal possibly be illegal for the airline?

Or does it go under force majeure since the Airline basically wasn't at fault here...?
Old 3 April 2017, 02:58 AM   #20
Cru Jones

Quote:

Thanks, thinking of going.

Oh, definitely go.... interesting places to visit, great restaurants & hotels, fantastic vibe.... a hop, skip and a jump from Europe, and so different. When I eventually get there (), it'll be my fourth time in the past six years.
Old 3 April 2017, 03:01 AM   #21
Cru Jones

Quote:
Cru, EU has probably the best laws in the world protecting the consumer when it comes to air travel. I haven't checked now, but could this ordeal possibly be illegal for the airline?

Or does it go under force majeure since the Airline basically wasn't at fault here...?

There's a difference between what's legal and what's moral.... and a service company should err on the moral, IMHO, especially one dealing with families and vacation.
Old 3 April 2017, 04:03 AM   #22
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh, definitely go.... interesting places to visit, great restaurants & hotels, fantastic vibe.... a hop, skip and a jump from Europe, and so different. When I eventually get there (), it'll be my fourth time in the past six years.
Is the soliciting as bad as some say? I'm not overly keen on being a walking "money-bag".
Old 3 April 2017, 05:05 AM   #23
Cru Jones

Quote:
Is the soliciting as bad as some say? I'm not overly keen on being a walking "money-bag".

Not that much worse than Paris these days.... ;-)

More seriously (kind of), only the Jamaa el Fna square is bad, and if you avoid eye contact and don't look at the monkeys (seriously), you're fine. The touristy parts of the Medina are totally fine.

That all being said, tipping a little bit here and there for little services is to be expected... just carry small bills.

Admittedly, the first time I went there, I was overwhelmed the first couple of days (and I lived in Manhattan for six years), but I learned to adapt. It's worth it.
Old 3 April 2017, 05:37 AM   #24
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not that much worse than Paris these days.... ;-)

More seriously (kind of), only the Jamaa el Fna square is bad, and if you avoid eye contact and don't look at the monkeys (seriously), you're fine. The touristy parts of the Medina are totally fine.

That all being said, tipping a little bit here and there for little services is to be expected... just carry small bills.

Admittedly, the first time I went there, I was overwhelmed the first couple of days (and I lived in Manhattan for six years), but I learned to adapt. It's worth it.
Sounds tempting. Wifey would really like to go. Nice hotels too.
Old 3 April 2017, 06:10 AM   #25
mfer
"TRF" Member

Ouch. My wife booked some Frontier flights before. Never again. Nothing like your experience, but it was ridiculously painful with so many ticked off people around you. For example, the same person who checks in you luggage before security is the same person that boards you on the plane. So, you have to get their extra early else "you missed" your flight b/c you didn't check in quick enough. There were three people on my flight like that. It was ridiculous. The plan was there, they were talking to the person, but they were allowed on. Also, everything was a charge. You got a ticket so you are good right? No, you have to pay to pick a seat (you can't not pick a seat). Why?

sorry Cru.
member#3242
Old 3 April 2017, 07:46 AM   #26
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I think the closest thing we have in the US is Spirit Airlines. I have never flown them but have only heard horror stories
Old 3 April 2017, 08:50 AM   #27
de66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I should be writing this message from Marrakech, but, instead, I am at home. Sure, it's therapeutic to write this, but mostly I think it's important for travelers to know how bad is Transavia Airlines. For those who don't know, Transavia is the low-cost airline of Air France meant to compete with Ryanair and Easy Jet.

In short, we had a flight today from Orly airport at 08h20. We arrived at 06h30 to a fully locked down airport - two "suspect suitcases" meant the bomb squad had been called in.

Two full hours later (two hours!!), the airport reopened.... and our flight took off as scheduled without waiting for dozens of people! For the plane to wait would have meant a surcharge from the airport for the airline, and Transavia informed us that they considered the security situation not to be their concern.

It gets better.

Amazingly, they made people buy new tickets, because they had "missed" their flight! And, since this is the start of school holidays in France, no open flights until tomorrow afternoon.

As a "commercial gesture", the airline agreed to book me and my family "without a penalty", unlike others in line, who had visibly been very angry with the airline representatives. But, they would not change our return without penalty so we could extend our trip by one day.

Transavia was the only airline not to delay their flights for their customers. When we left the airport at 10, there still were flights that had been scheduled to leave at 07h30 that had not yet taken off.

So, Transavia Airlines? No, never, ever again. And I advise you to do the same.
Transavia started out as an independent charter airline. Based in the Netherlands they were the second biggest carrier there after KLM (the world first commercial airline btw). They were bought by KLM a long time ago because KLM had issues to bring down their operational costs. The idea was to transfer more and more of the european sectors to the lower cost based Transavia. In order to stay competitive with hotel and travel organizations forming their own charter airlines (like TUI, Thomas Cook, edelweis - all partially financed by tour operators) the Transavia airline was transformed into a low cost carrier. This was all before the KLM/ air France merger.
Air france ended up with financial problems primarily due to mismanagement and high labor costs. Their strong unions and socialist labor laws resulted in AF being amongst the highest paid and lowest worked staff in the industry. KLM was still under pressure from the likes of Easyjet and Ryanair and having trouble to find financing to renew their fleet. Prior to the merger KLM was an all Boeing airliner. As AF needed to get rid of aircraft because of the closing of some unprofitable routes, but with new airbusses being delivered, these airbusses now ended up cheap at KLM to start replacing their Boeing MD11 fleet - and considered a win-win part of the merger.
AF side of the business still had an overly expensive structure so the board of the KLM/AF group tried to copy the KLM/Transavia model, putting pressure on AF salaries by threatening to transfer more operations to (and here it comes) a newly created FRENCH company called ..... Transavia. This one is run with french registered aircraft but independent from their Dutch namesake (Dutch registrations start with "PH"). Although there is an apparent similarity between the two companies, they are not the same.

This does not in any way change or defend whats happening. In fact I 100% agree with you. The situation has become so weird, cheating us, the consumer, in a myriad of ways.

Norwegian actually employs their pilots via companies that are not based in
Norway, using font companies that "own" their aircraft so they can avoid paying taxes and salaries according european and norwegian labor laws.

Very worrying if you ask me.... Your pilots are allowed to work upto 12 hours or more on shorthaul flights. Truck drivers have more strict work and rest times....

I think that according EU laws the airlines have been made directly responsible for many things. But I wonder if they could legally leave so many passengers behind when their bags were loaded. Normally regulations prohibit flying with bags whose owners are not on board.
Their behavior was stupid and short sighted. Try writing to the Dutch Transavia customer service as well and tell them how this cobranding is also hurting their Dutch operations.
Poor show all the way round imo.

Btw, in Europe there is often a misconception of "low cost carrier", probably lost in translation. People often think this refers to "low cost of tickets for the passenger" rather than "low operational cost for the airline/company".
Old 3 April 2017, 01:41 PM   #28
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
I think the closest thing we have in the US is Spirit Airlines. I have never flown them but have only heard horror stories
Spirit is horrible but $50 to fly from Ohio to California was pretty cheap...
Old 3 April 2017, 04:11 PM   #29
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by de66 View Post
Transavia started out as an independent charter airline. Based in the Netherlands they were the second biggest carrier there after KLM (the world first commercial airline btw). They were bought by KLM a long time ago because KLM had issues to bring down their operational costs. The idea was to transfer more and more of the european sectors to the lower cost based Transavia. In order to stay competitive with hotel and travel organizations forming their own charter airlines (like TUI, Thomas Cook, edelweis - all partially financed by tour operators) the Transavia airline was transformed into a low cost carrier. This was all before the KLM/ air France merger.
Air france ended up with financial problems primarily due to mismanagement and high labor costs. Their strong unions and socialist labor laws resulted in AF being amongst the highest paid and lowest worked staff in the industry. KLM was still under pressure from the likes of Easyjet and Ryanair and having trouble to find financing to renew their fleet. Prior to the merger KLM was an all Boeing airliner. As AF needed to get rid of aircraft because of the closing of some unprofitable routes, but with new airbusses being delivered, these airbusses now ended up cheap at KLM to start replacing their Boeing MD11 fleet - and considered a win-win part of the merger.
AF side of the business still had an overly expensive structure so the board of the KLM/AF group tried to copy the KLM/Transavia model, putting pressure on AF salaries by threatening to transfer more operations to (and here it comes) a newly created FRENCH company called ..... Transavia. This one is run with french registered aircraft but independent from their Dutch namesake (Dutch registrations start with "PH"). Although there is an apparent similarity between the two companies, they are not the same.

This does not in any way change or defend whats happening. In fact I 100% agree with you. The situation has become so weird, cheating us, the consumer, in a myriad of ways.

Norwegian actually employs their pilots via companies that are not based in
Norway, using font companies that "own" their aircraft so they can avoid paying taxes and salaries according european and norwegian labor laws.

Very worrying if you ask me.... Your pilots are allowed to work upto 12 hours or more on shorthaul flights. Truck drivers have more strict work and rest times....

I think that according EU laws the airlines have been made directly responsible for many things. But I wonder if they could legally leave so many passengers behind when their bags were loaded. Normally regulations prohibit flying with bags whose owners are not on board.
Their behavior was stupid and short sighted. Try writing to the Dutch Transavia customer service as well and tell them how this cobranding is also hurting their Dutch operations.
Poor show all the way round imo.

Btw, in Europe there is often a misconception of "low cost carrier", probably lost in translation. People often think this refers to "low cost of tickets for the passenger" rather than "low operational cost for the airline/company".

Thanks for the comprehensive review.

As for flying with checked-in luggage but without the flyer, no, that's not what happened. Instead, the flight flew with everyone who checked in before 06h25 (for a flight at 08h20), but everyone who was blocked from checking in due to the security situation, were considered to have "missed" the flight. Every other airline delayed their flights to check in those waiting while the police took two hours to explode a suitcase.

Transavia is just the worst.
Old 3 April 2017, 04:12 PM   #30
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
Never flown them, but checked them a few times. They have always been more expensive once you add the "extras", you know the things that are standard at a "normal" airline.