The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 August 2011, 10:04 AM   #1
Kringkily
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster, Rolex
Pawn shopping

So I think I have some free time this weekend and will peruse the local pawn shops to see if they have anything of interest. Do you guys trust the inventory at these places? I've heard of a story where someone walked in and told the vendor they were selling a fake Rolex and he just put it back and said oh wells someone will buy it.... Your thoughts?
Kringkily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2011, 10:14 AM   #2
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kringkily View Post
So I think I have some free time this weekend and will peruse the local pawn shops to see if they have anything of interest. Do you guys trust the inventory at these places? I've heard of a story where someone walked in and told the vendor they were selling a fake Rolex and he just put it back and said oh wells someone will buy it.... Your thoughts?
Pawn shop owners are generally very serious business owners who know a whole lot about what they are doing. After all their lively hood depends on it. Doesn't mean they couldn't make a mistake.

I am not very comfortable with the thought of buying a luxury watch from anyone other than whose primary business is selling the type of luxury watch I am looking at buying. I am also looking for the warranty and the comfortable feeling I get from buying from an AD.

So buying a Rolex from a Pawn Shop is something that does not work for me.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2011, 10:43 AM   #3
sherwin
"TRF" Member

it would depend on price i guess, and your comfort level. if i was buying from a pawn shop, i would insist on a clause where if found to be not 100% genuine, refund to be given in full (or something to that effect!)
Old 19 August 2011, 10:49 AM   #4
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Keep in mind that you probably need to add the cost of potential likely hood of a service.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 19 August 2011, 08:00 PM   #5
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

This just happened to me. This man bought a Rolex Submariner from a pawn shop. He sold it to me via WUS. I took it to RSC to verify that the case was fake. They even drilled holes in the lugs to make it match the serial. Movement was real. If I never checked it out at the RSC, I would've never guessed it was fake. It was that good.

I got my money back as the seller had no idea either. Watch what you buy at pawn stores... I know I'll be careful, so you should do the same. Sometimes, it's not worth putting yourself in that situation even though the chase seems enjoyable.
xjeeunitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2011, 08:54 PM   #6
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeunitx View Post
This just happened to me. This man bought a Rolex Submariner from a pawn shop. He sold it to me via WUS. I took it to RSC to verify that the case was fake. They even drilled holes in the lugs to make it match the serial. Movement was real. If I never checked it out at the RSC, I would've never guessed it was fake. It was that good.

I got my money back as the seller had no idea either. Watch what you buy at pawn stores... I know I'll be careful, so you should do the same. Sometimes, it's not worth putting yourself in that situation even though the chase seems enjoyable.
thats a new one on me , drilling holes in a modern or fake case to add age , the world is getting scary out there
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2011, 10:02 PM   #7
Kringkily
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster, Rolex
yikes alrighty then back to waiting sheesh lol
Kringkily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2011, 10:26 PM   #8
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Definitely wouldn't trust a pawn shop for a Rolex purchase. I work too hard for my money to risk it when you can get a great deal from a trusted seller here.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 11:45 AM   #9
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Pawn shop owners are generally very serious business owners who know a whole lot about what they are doing. After all their lively hood depends on it. Doesn't mean they couldn't make a mistake.

I am not very comfortable with the thought of buying a luxury watch from anyone other than whose primary business is selling the type of luxury watch I am looking at buying. I am also looking for the warranty and the comfortable feeling I get from buying from an AD.

So buying a Rolex from a Pawn Shop is something that does not work for me.
You can probably lean more about Rolex's from a Pawn Shop owner than you can from the avg. salesman at an AD. Pawn Owners are usually pretty savy now-a-days and know a lot about pretty much anything valuable. Pawn shops are very highly regulated now. If they buy stolen crap they get screwed. Same thing if they try to pass off fake Rolex's as real.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 12:17 PM   #10
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
You can probably lean more about Rolex's from a Pawn Shop owner than you can from the avg. salesman at an AD. Pawn Owners are usually pretty savy now-a-days and know a lot about pretty much anything valuable. Pawn shops are very highly regulated now. If they buy stolen crap they get screwed. Same thing if they try to pass off fake Rolex's as real.
That's true some ADs really don't know their product. I have visited some ADs like this. Then again there are probably some Pawnshop owners that probably don't know everything they should, and their main business isn't watches.

However when buying a new watch from an AD I am pretty sure I am getting exactly what I am paying for. It gives me a more secure feeling anyway regardless if the AD knows what the watch does or doesn't do.

Besides the AD I am buying from is a WIS who has over 60 watches so his passion is watches. He doesn't appear to be the average salesperson. I'm sure he doesn't know everything because no one does, but it works for me.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons