The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13 October 2006, 02:00 AM   #1
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Steinhart GMT Ocean 1 - Review

I finally got the Steinhart GMT Ocean 1 and took pictures of it last night, but the pictures did not do the watch justice when I discarded those. This morning, I took better pictures of the watch. The watch came in a nice piano box finish, and was protected by a white card board box that had Steinhart's logo and their slogan "Just in time".

My impressions:

The watch is quite heavy, and it is 42mm in size, and it dwarfs my 14060. Visually it is the same size as my Omega Seamaster Pro Chrono diver and Seiko 200m Divers. The movement is based on the 21 jewel ETA 2893-2, with date and GMT hand complications. It is running at 28800 bph and so far in 24 hours been keeping correct time.

I based the time off my 14060 and I must say after a month of getting it, I am off by 10 seconds, which translates to +0.5 secs per day!!! Wow! Yayyyy Rolex!!!

Bezel is very easy to grib and is rather thick. It aligns itself perfectly at 12 o'clock (as for the photos, I forgot to set it back to 12 ) The feel of the bezel click is the same as the Seamaster. Various colours are available for the bezel... black/red ; blue/red ; black ; black/orange. I got the black/red.

Side tracking to bezel feel and clicks, I would rate the following:

1. Seiko 200m as the best feel and grip
2. Omega SMP and Steinhart would be tied
3. Rolex 14060

The bracelet is constructed very well, and quite heavy (hybrid between oyster and SMP bracelet construction). It uses screws as opposed to links, and no problem removing the screw links with a 1mm screw driver. This bracelet also comes with a divers extension, probably enough for a 7-8" wrist, although this watch will not see any depth past 6 feet

The clasp snaps into place positively which is pleasing.

The crown which is signed also screws in and out as smooth as butta however it lacks that trip lock seal that our 300m depth rated Rolex time pieces have. However it is depth rated for 1000m/300ft.

One thing noticeable about this watch is that there are no sharp edges on this watch, unlike the 14060, the lug ends were quite pointed, although it did not bother me at all.

Now for the lume. Lume is decent for this watch, however it is not as bright as my Seiko 200m divers, but at night with decent charge (I got the watch last night and only had brief exposure to light), it was decent in dark situations. The pearl, hands (hour, min, sec and gmt), as well as the hour markers. At about 5 am, I checked the watch, there was some traces of charge left, but not a lot.

Apparently, there are two versions of the GMT Ocean 1 from Steinhart. The first version that they manufactured did not have an independently adjustable GMT hand. Apparently, they intended to manufacture one from the beginning with the independent GMT!

I have to say that there customer service does preceedes them. In my earlier posting in Baptistman's post, they offered me free shipping and honoured a coupon after the fact! That is sooo great!

What watch overall is very good in terms of contruction, and quality as well as the movement being a workhorse from ETA. I've always wanted a GMT, and now I have one :-)

Finally, the family is complete...

Hope you enjoy my mini review of the watch.

Last edited by roadcarver; 13 October 2006 at 02:18 AM.. Reason: Added Lume review
roadcarver is offline   Reply With Quote