ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7 July 2007, 05:11 PM   #1
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Explorer-II review!!

Hi guys,

Thought I'd try and throw in a brief review of my new WHITE dial Exp-II.

I'll start with the....

DIAL - Having had a bad experience with my previous white dial one about 3 years ago, I spent like 5 long minutes at my AD scrutinizing the watch very carefully under a powerful watchmaker's loupe.

PERFECT!! As WHITE as the driven snow with perfect printing and markers symmetrically spaced. Excellent and very easy to read dial printing of the usual words.

Hands nicely painted over in black to contrast clearly against the white background. RED 24-hour hand has the RED paint going all the way down to the arrowhead. RED hand to be always read off the BEZEL - never the dial!! All hands perfectly synchronised to my satisfaction!!

CASE - Solid Oyster case with crown guards just high enough to engulf the TWINLOCK crown....which more than adequately serves its purpose for what this watch was intended.

BRACELET - OYSTERLOCK with 13 original links. I can never figure out why Rolex supplies the watch with a 7+6 configuration of the watch bracelet. If you try and wear it that way, you will find the clasp going toward one side of the wrist. So the best thing to do is have your AD change it over to an 8+5 arrangement. In any event, have no more than 5 links on the 6 o'clock side even if you have a smaller wrist and have to take one off.

Very comfortable bracelet on the wrist once it has been resized properly.

MOVEMENT - Time proven 3185 movement which enables the user to move the small hour hand independently - an important convenience when travelling from one time zone to another.

31 jewels and a hi-beat 28,800 A/Hr (8 bps) gives this watch its characteristic fast ticka, ticka, tick!!

COMFORT - Very, very comfortable on the wrist. At an actual diameter of 39 mm, this is one of the slimmest Rollies in their line-up. So it sits well on the wrist and is good for small wrists too. Being slim, it slips in easily under the shirt cuffs....so can be worn as a dress watch too.

READABILITY - Superb!! The WG painted over black hands contrast so well with the Snow White dial that time reading is instantaneous!! No problems in that department. Even the cyclops is perfectly centralised over the date window. Dates are in BLACK on a WHITE background, making date readabilty instantaneous too.

PRICE - Listed at US$ 5,000...the watch is quite freely available and good discounts are possible with this model. If you plan on buying it, then buy it as a keeper. Resale on this baby is not as good as the Subs or SS Daytonas.

To summarise - The Exp-II is a superbly practical watch. If you are not a "bezel-fiddler"....even better. I love the brushed finished bezel, gently sloping away from the sapphire crystal.

If you are looking for a dual timezone watch, this would be a great choice. While the GMT-II is quite the stunner too, the SNOW WHITE dial of the Exp-II gives me an adrenalin rush like no other WHITE DIAL watch!!

So, guys, if it's a WHITE dial SPORTS Rolex you're looking for, you might want to consider the Exp-II as an option.

The other options are rather high priced (like the white SS Daytona or the TT White YM!!).

Thanks for reading.

Cheers - JJ

Easy to read dial....great lume too!!

Crown guards not too bulbous or obvious....and yet serve their purpose of protecting the crown!!

Stunning, brushed-finished, sloping bezel....

Solid OYSTERLOCK bracelet....more than adequately strong enough for the purpose it was intended for!!

Cyclops - perfectly positioned over the DATE window....for easy DATE readability...

RED 24-hour hand nicely contrasted against the white background and different from the other 3 hands - so no confusion in time reading...

No lug-hole case sides...

Very, very comfy on the wrist!!

Just go for it, guys!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote