The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 27 March 2016, 12:56 AM   #1
RedneckRich
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
Deepsea - stops...

I have a less than 4 year old Deepsea, bought from new. In the last month or so I have noticed that it stops when I take it off for more than an hour or thereabouts. I wear it all the time and only take it off when playing tennis, doing yard work etc.

I wind it every couple of week for the 40 turns. I took it back to the AD yesterday who told me it could be the spring, may cost $1,000 or so and the watch is out of warranty. He also said I should not sleep with it on as the body changes temperature and this can impact the oil in the movement. He also said springs are going more often as there are more magnets in our homes with TVs, other remote control devices. I do fly on a weekly basis and go through metal screening at least 2 if not more times a week.

I know the above contains a number of points but for a $11k or so watch to stop working after less than 4 years is a surprise, plus this thing is designed to go to great depths so getting hotter or colder in bed seems and this impacting the oil seems crazy.

Views and thanks in advance. The AD is a well known store in Atlanta with a branch in Buckhead (where the watch has been dropped off to be sent to Rolex) and one in Roswell (where it was bought).
RedneckRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 01:40 AM   #2
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
I would get it checked by a reputable watchmaker who knows his stuff but the RSC is the more expensive and safest option. Good luck and hope it is something minor. Their estimate sounds well high. Keep us posted.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 04:25 AM   #3
michigan.watches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRich View Post
I have a less than 4 year old Deepsea, bought from new. In the last month or so I have noticed that it stops when I take it off for more than an hour or thereabouts. I wear it all the time and only take it off when playing tennis, doing yard work etc.

I wind it every couple of week for the 40 turns. I took it back to the AD yesterday who told me it could be the spring, may cost $1,000 or so and the watch is out of warranty. He also said I should not sleep with it on as the body changes temperature and this can impact the oil in the movement. He also said springs are going more often as there are more magnets in our homes with TVs, other remote control devices. I do fly on a weekly basis and go through metal screening at least 2 if not more times a week.

I know the above contains a number of points but for a $11k or so watch to stop working after less than 4 years is a surprise, plus this thing is designed to go to great depths so getting hotter or colder in bed seems and this impacting the oil seems crazy.

Views and thanks in advance. The AD is a well known store in Atlanta with a branch in Buckhead (where the watch has been dropped off to be sent to Rolex) and one in Roswell (where it was bought).
I don't think the issue has anything to do with the magnets in your television, flying, or walking through a metal detector. Nor should you be concerned about body temperature while sleeping. These are the type of explanations you will hear from someone who really has no idea what might be wrong with the watch. You could boil your Deepsea, put it in the freezer overnight, wear it during airport body scans, fly around the world, and it would still keep time. It sounds like it just needs the usual servicing. Sometimes this happens after four years although Rolex is now offering five year warranties on their new watches. It's also not unusual for watches to sit in showcases for several years before they are sold. The Deepsea was actually a tough sell when it was first introduced and remained so until the D-blue was released. For example, if you have a V-serial watch, it could be eight years old even though you bought it four years ago. In any event, I expect your watch will come back with an estimate that says the oils are dried and degraded and this is why it needs service.
michigan.watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2016, 02:05 PM   #4
MikeMc
"TRF" Member

Watch: own 18 watches
The person you spoke with has no idea what is wrong and the information they gave you is ignorant. I work at an authorized dealer and we have a Rolex trained watchmaker on staff. The DeepSea has to go to Rolex for service. Even though we have the required equipment to test the watch, the DeepSea requires equipment that they won't sell us. They require that we send in DeepSeas for service. Whether you send directly to Dallas, NY or Beverly Hills or send it through an authorized Rolex dealer, have them send it to Rolex Service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2016, 05:21 PM   #5
SearChart
TechXpert

These modern oils do not dry in five years. They just don't.
Could be your mainspring, could be 10 other things. Bring it in for service.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2016, 05:57 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Well first cost wise the mainspring is one of the cheapest parts in the movement.Now mainsprings are normaly replaced as part of a normal full routine service.And main component that could effect the movement with accuracy of even stopping is mainly the hairspring. And seeing now that Rolex uses a parachrome hairspring its doubtful its magnetised, but other parts in movement can so service time is advisable.Give it a full manual wind 40 full crown turns clockwise only then watch should run between 39-48 hours off wrist give or take a hour or so.If that test checks out mainspring is fine but possible a fault in the auto wind mechanism, or not enough arm wrist activity to wind the watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2016, 11:38 PM   #7
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
There should be a forum where this type of nonsense and fpthe people who further it are outed. It would save us hours of frustration and moronic conversations when our watches need attention.
Wcdhtwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2016, 12:23 AM   #8
michael067
Banned

Watch: TT DJ 16233
Body temperature can impact oil in the movement?? Wow
michael067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2016, 02:54 AM   #9
mnbookman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
The person you spoke with has no idea what is wrong and the information they gave you is ignorant. I work at an authorized dealer and we have a Rolex trained watchmaker on staff. The DeepSea has to go to Rolex for service. Even though we have the required equipment to test the watch, the DeepSea requires equipment that they won't sell us. They require that we send in DeepSeas for service. Whether you send directly to Dallas, NY or Beverly Hills or send it through an authorized Rolex dealer, have them send it to Rolex Service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indeed. This is specifically related to testing of the Helium release valve.
mnbookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2016, 12:53 PM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:

. . .
Need more information to make an informed guess..

My ballpark guess is that the auto-wind is malfunctioning. Have it looked at by a qualified watchmaker who may be able to fix that without a complete service..
Old 23 April 2016, 10:18 PM   #11
RedneckRich
"TRF" Member

Following a service at a RSC it is on the way back to the AD. Still no details on what the problem was, the AD people are clueless.
Old 24 April 2016, 12:25 AM   #12
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Keep us posted Rich! It would be interesting to see what the problem was..

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2016, 12:28 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by yannis7777 View Post
Keep us posted Rich! It would be interesting to see what the problem was..
Yes, it will be interesting to learn what the problem was.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2016, 10:14 PM   #14
RedneckRich
"TRF" Member

Collected the watch from the AD yesterday. Was told a regular service fixed the issue - they could not tell me the specific problem. Rolex did replace the gas release valve as it was not working - after only 4 years! To be fair the watch looks brand new.
Old 1 May 2016, 10:17 PM   #15
madmole
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
So keeping your watch at a constant 37c is bad for the oils, but letting it cool to 10 or so overnight and warm back up to 37 each morning is ok. That AD needs some brain cells implanted. Next he'll be telling you its not safe to shower or wash the dishes wearing it.

Tell him if your body changes temperature more than 2c then the wearer is very ill and needs medical help
madmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 02:21 AM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

(Sarc) Hope when you bought it the salesmen educated you that the Rolex should never, under ANY circumstance, get it wet. Even slightest rainwater can ruin the timepiece. ;)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 10:45 AM   #17
ABChop
"TRF" Member

So we shouldn't start them on fire either??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- 116660 DSSD D-Blue, 124060, 126613LN, 116710BLNR
- 116500LN White Dial - “U” 16610 “SWISS” dial
ABChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 10:56 AM   #18
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABChop View Post
So we shouldn't start them on fire either??

And NEVER feed it after midnight.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote