The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 19 February 2010, 05:33 AM   #1
MagedMS
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 114060
ROLEX-Case Back Engraving !

Q: Why doesn't ROLEX engrave the specs. of the watch on the case back ?

It is really nice to read things like : [Swiss Made/Water Proof to xxx m m/Movement Used/Model Number/Material used/S.N. ... and much more]

I think ROLEX engraves only the back of the DSSD/SD/and just a (B) for the Milgauss..any other models? Just for my info. ... Thanks.
ROLEX DAYTONA-116503 BLABR
ROLEX MILLGAUSS-116400 GV
Old 19 February 2010, 05:43 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Rolex keeps the back clean and neat so that you can engrave it yourself. They even offer professional engraving and have a catalogue of different events and fonts..

Not enough people do this so that their Rolex becomes a special one-of-a kind..
Old 19 February 2010, 08:57 AM   #3
dr_bypass
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT - BLNR
Would an engraving take away from the resale value? and if so what %?....
Old 19 February 2010, 09:02 AM   #4
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_bypass View Post
Would an engraving take away from the resale value? and if so what %?....
It's all a matter of perspective..

.......... Let me say though... I think that there are too many folks who are overly concerned with "resale", as opposed to having and enjoying their time-piece..

But......... now-days, casebacks are standardized as to fitment and inside markings, and so it is easily replaced at a proper service for a nominal cost if you don't take it off yourself as we show in the Reference Library..
Old 19 February 2010, 09:27 AM   #5
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Rolex keeps the back clean and neat so that you can engrave it yourself. They even offer professional engraving and have a catalogue of different events and fonts...
How do you get a hold of this catalogue? Any one have it?
Old 19 February 2010, 09:40 AM   #6
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Quote:

.......... Let me say though... I think that there are too many folks who are overly concerned with "resale", as opposed to having and enjoying their time-piece..

But......... now-days, casebacks are standardized as to fitment and inside markings, and so it is easily replaced at a proper service for a nominal cost if you don't take it off yourself as we show in the Reference Library..
I had a chance to buy an engraved back Rolex from the local newspaper years ago a local guy was broke needed the cash . I stayed away because of the engraving - Gareth Wood 1985/86 South Pole trek-

Good news is someone else bought it and returned it back to him as a gift.
Old 19 February 2010, 11:15 AM   #7
PeteNYC13
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
We were thinking of (and still may) engrave our YM's as his & hers for our anniversary but we thougth about the devaluing the original product - the watchmaker at one of our AD's said that they could probably always get a replacement, not that we ever plan to sell them, but you never know.

It is interesting to see other thoughts on this.

Also, I know that the Rolex -"once in a lifetime" watch that Rolex watchmakers get is engraved but I am not sure what it says. That I would pay a premium for, you know it is well maintained! lol

-Pete
SS Black Dial Daytona M116520
SS Explorer II D16570
Old 19 February 2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Bon Temps
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:

x2! Do what makes YOU happy
Old 19 February 2010, 11:49 AM   #9
armoredsaint
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master IIc SS
Quote:
Rolex keeps the back clean and neat so that you can engrave it yourself. They even offer professional engraving and have a catalogue of different events and fonts..

i never knew that! i would like something on the back - any idea on cost or sample pics?
Old 19 February 2010, 11:55 AM   #10
FLAJIM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 Sub
Quote:

I went to NYC Rolex repair center to have my SD looked at, running fast. I asked about having it engraved and they said they DIDN'T engrave. Please let me know where Rolex offers the service.

Thanks in advance Be Safe JIM
Old 19 February 2010, 12:27 PM   #11
gelshocker

I would be interested in a sample too, an official engraving done by Rolex
Old 19 February 2010, 12:32 PM   #12
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
I have read people for engraving and against engraving. If the engraving is not deep it can be buffed out without any problem. If it is deep then the case back needs to be replaced. Ebay sells them from time to time.

I like it clean myself.
Old 19 February 2010, 12:38 PM   #13
mcjca
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub, BB GMT
Good point, Safetrends....

I think there was a thread on this forum that explained how to use sandpaper to remove an engraving and the result looked just like factory. If you get it engraved just make sure it isn't too deep and then sand it down if you ever want to sell it.

Mike
Old 19 February 2010, 04:37 PM   #14
everose

I got my M series Sub engraved......i negotiated it as part of the purchase.....and so it did not cost me a penny!!!!!....i never asked what they normally charge.

It was the AD at Millenia Mall.....unfortunatly it closed in Dec and as of a few days ago, has not re-opened.....Park Promenade.(upstairs)

On a related point.....some people believe(i am not one of them) that detail on the case back helps the watch not to slide around on the wrist.I think if it is sized correctly then it is not an issue.

Old 19 February 2010, 04:53 PM   #15
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

I believe some of the older ladies' Datejusts have engraving on the back.
Old 19 February 2010, 04:55 PM   #16
jets
"TRF" Member

I bought my Dads DJ and had it engraved with his name/birthday 2009. Make it personal FTW! How much could a replacement case back cost anyway?
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
Old 20 February 2010, 12:45 AM   #17
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAJIM View Post
I went to NYC Rolex repair center to have my SD looked at, running fast. I asked about having it engraved and they said they DIDN'T engrave. Please let me know where Rolex offers the service.

Thanks in advance Be Safe JIM
It's been a few years since I had anything engraved..... but the Dealer carries a catalogue of all the fonts and logos...

Several members here have also had theirs engraved with masonic logos, initials, and special occasion logos through their Dealer and authorised engraving...
Old 20 February 2010, 01:54 AM   #18
Alan111
"TRF" Member

I would love to have my watch engraved.. just waiting until I get around to doing it.
Old 20 February 2010, 02:01 AM   #19
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
I cleaned a Rolex President a while back for an oldtimer. On the back of the case said his name, and "If your reading this I'm dead or the watch is stolen, or both" He got a kick waiting for a young guy like me reading the back when I was doing the service slip. He said back in the day, you did stuff like that to keep it from being easy to resell if it was stolen. He continued to say that he, and several friends all had their watches engraved with the same thing. I wouldn't do it, but this guy planned to wear it until he died.
Old 20 February 2010, 03:34 AM   #20
robsteve
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagedMS View Post
Q: Why doesn't ROLEX engrave the specs. of the watch on the case back ?

They do engrave some of it on the case back and it looks spectacular. Looks at the details on the crown engraved on my case back :)

Old 20 February 2010, 03:42 AM   #21
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Watch: 116520/660/710/334
I don't mind engraving on a rolex case back ..ROLEX and 3 large numbers with a couple of crowns on a 5514 . No problem ... I can handle that . Who said to worry about resale value ? Enjoy them !
Old 1 December 2010, 02:56 PM   #22
fulmitz
"TRF" Member

Mandatory engraving!!!

I just bought my very first Rolex this evening. It's a Stainless Steel Daytona with white dial at MSRP of $10,400. At this store the AD MAKES you get the back engraved at no additional charge. I told them I didn't want an engraving and they said they wouldn't sell me the watch unless I had it engraved. Apparently these watches are so hard to come by they don't want people buying them and then turning around and selling them on eBay for a mark up over MSRP. They didn't say how big and they use a Kiosk guy in the mall to do it so since I know him (he's a patient of mine) he made it about 2mm in size which was fine with them. The stupid part is I can go to another Rolex AD or any one of my Jeweler friends and get a new case back, or go to my patient who did the engraving and get it buffed out. I was caught up in the moment and didn't want to walk away from a hard to find watch like this.

fulmitz
Old 1 December 2010, 03:08 PM   #23
rosspanics
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp2, Exp1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulmitz View Post
I just bought my very first Rolex this evening. It's a Stainless Steel Daytona with white dial at MSRP of $10,400. At this store the AD MAKES you get the back engraved at no additional charge. I told them I didn't want an engraving and they said they wouldn't sell me the watch unless I had it engraved. Apparently these watches are so hard to come by they don't want people buying them and then turning around and selling them on eBay for a mark up over MSRP.
Congrats on your purchase!

However, it's this kind of BS that turns people off to some of the Rolex ADs!
Old 1 December 2010, 04:25 PM   #24
997Opus

Watch: SS Daytona
My watch back was engraved by Rolex USA Headquarters New York. After it was engraved it was then sent to me. This was done at no charge to me under special considerations and arrangements. An engraved case back can easily be replaced if you so choose to do this at a latter date (which in my case I would never do).
Old 1 December 2010, 04:40 PM   #25
snog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just bought my very first Rolex this evening. It's a Stainless Steel Daytona with white dial at MSRP of $10,400. At this store the AD MAKES you get the back engraved at no additional charge. I told them I didn't want an engraving and they said they wouldn't sell me the watch unless I had it engraved. Apparently these watches are so hard to come by they don't want people buying them and then turning around and selling them on eBay for a mark up over MSRP. They didn't say how big and they use a Kiosk guy in the mall to do it so since I know him (he's a patient of mine) he made it about 2mm in size which was fine with them. The stupid part is I can go to another Rolex AD or any one of my Jeweler friends and get a new case back, or go to my patient who did the engraving and get it buffed out. I was caught up in the moment and didn't want to walk away from a hard to find watch like this.

fulmitz

well done on the Rolex

sorry but that dealer is in the wrong job,what has it got to do with him if you resell your watch,you might have no plans to sell but prefer it left as is
Old 1 December 2010, 09:37 PM   #26
HL65

Watch: One on my wrist.
I have one vintage watch-from original owner-has light engraving on back which a lot of people did back then. I think if anything it adds to the watch and it's provenance--confirming it's authenticy--not detracting from value!
1675 8.jpg

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 1 December 2010, 10:14 PM   #27
fulmitz
"TRF" Member

thanks

I appreciate the support. I told them numerous times I could get it replaced and they said no because they wouldn't do it. I told them they're not the only Rolex dealer around and I could just say it was a gift but I didn't like my initials and get it replaced elsewhere or just buff it out. The salesperson seemed surprised it was store policy but the store manager insisted. They said they could get in trouble with Rolex. To be honest I think it's their way of preventing you from having buyers remorse and returning it the next day.

They insisted it was only on SS Daytona's that they had this policy. They said if I bought the solid 18k gold one no engraving would be required.

Steelerfan1965 They tried to do it without my knowledge. They took it to a mall engraving kiosk to "get it polished up for me" Good thing I know the guy and he asked me if the font was ok. I was like what are you talking about and he showed me. It was just my initials, 2 letters taking up the WHOLE case back. Now it's my initials that are about 2mm tall and wide. It looks like a spec unless you hold it in the right angle.

Otherwise I'm happy with my new watch but I do wish it had the date on it ;)

Fulmitz
Old 2 December 2010, 12:52 PM   #28
BXNupe
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMTc
My AD engraved the back of my Sub LV w/ a quote from my mom. As was mentioned above, they had a catalogue w/ various fonts, etc. I made them show me a mock up before giving them the the "green light" (pun intended). I love the finished product and would recommend engraving to anyone especially if the watch has some sort of sentimental value.
Old 2 December 2010, 02:26 PM   #29
subkrawler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They said they could get in trouble with Rolex.
This is a flat out lie. Up here in N. Louisiana, they're not hard to get and I know several dealers who have both white and black sitting in the case. If I wanted one, I could buy it and walk right out. No hassle, and no BS about having it engraved....especially from some guy in a mall kiosk. You did what you felt was right, but I would have told them to shove it.

Plus they wanted it engraved so you can't flip it? Who the hell are they to say what you can and can't do with your watch, when you paid an honest amount for it. Also, if they think these are rare, (like I said I've seen plenty just sitting there) they're idiots. The days of the "rare" SS Daytona are over...at least here in the States.
Old 2 December 2010, 02:50 PM   #30
Christiaan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 67' Breitling Navi
If anyone knows of a really good engraver Id love to know because I want my LV caseback to be engraved...

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. For there you have been and there you will long to return." DaVinci

Closed Thread