The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 October 2011, 10:52 PM   #1
Clay
Banned

Daytona Help....

I have been told that the Zenith Dayton's are more collectible but that the new in-house movement Daytona's are better watches???
Keeping in mind that "Better" is a relative term, I was wondering what Daytona owners think in this regard...
I have been contemplating a Daytona purchase and wanted to get a consensus.
Many Thanks...
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2011, 11:07 PM   #2
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
I believe Rolex would never take a step backward with new products, therefore 4130 movement is better. In house = more quodos
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 12:24 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
I have been told that the Zenith Dayton's are more collectible but that the new in-house movement Daytona's are better watches???
Keeping in mind that "Better" is a relative term, I was wondering what Daytona owners think in this regard...
Many Thanks...
If you want a Daytona just buy the one you want its that simple both Zenith and the in-house are fine watches.Now which one is better well the main difference is the power reserve and the price.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 12:50 AM   #4
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
i personally prefer the in-house movement.

can you imaging one day Zenith decided to refuse any spare parts for RSC? (j/k)
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 01:06 AM   #5
unlisted
"TRF" Member

IMHO, one is not "better" than the other, I do like the whole idea of companies having in-house movements though. Just for the sake of everything falling under the one company's umbrella. If that makes sense.

I personally have a 116250 "random serial" and couldn't be happier. However, I wouldn't be any less happy with a Zenith movement, had it been the one available when I was purchasing. I just wanted to buy new, so I guess I went with the only route available.

I tend to see people with in-house, like in-house. People with Zenith, like Zenith. I can't say I see many people wishing they had the other if they have one. If that says anything...

If you are buying used I would personally focus on the particular watch. Condition, documentation, and price weighing in more than a particular movement model.

Just my two cents!
unlisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 01:12 AM   #6
bellvederecar
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlisted View Post
IMHO, one is not "better" than the other, I do like the whole idea of companies having in-house movements though. Just for the sake of everything falling under the one company's umbrella. If that makes sense.

I personally have a 116250 "random serial" and couldn't be happier. However, I wouldn't be any less happy with a Zenith movement, had it been the one available when I was purchasing. I just wanted to buy new, so I guess I went with the only route available.

I tend to see people with in-house, like in-house. People with Zenith, like Zenith. I can't say I see many people wishing they had the other if they have one. If that says anything...

If you are buying used I would personally focus on the particular watch. Condition, documentation, and price weighing in more than a particular movement model.

Just my two cents!

I agree with what unlisted said, focus more on Condition, documentation, and price. good luck.
bellvederecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 01:47 AM   #7
barstoolman
Banned

Strictly speaking from a "looks" standpoint, I fine the white dial SS Daytona with a Zenith movement to be much more attractive having the sub-dials outlined in black versus the in-house movement white dialed SS Daytona which has its sub-dials outlined in silver.
barstoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 02:41 AM   #8
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
I think it's more a personal preference thing more than anything else.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 02:45 AM   #9
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by barstoolman View Post
Strictly speaking from a "looks" standpoint, I fine the white dial SS Daytona with a Zenith movement to be much more attractive having the sub-dials outlined in black versus the in-house movement white dialed SS Daytona which has its sub-dials outlined in silver.
I totally agree, I also like the layout having the seconds hand at the 9:00 position as opposed to the 6:00. For me, my desire for the in-house movement out-weighs that, but it sure would be nice.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 12:01 AM   #10
dpkong
"TRF" Member

Watch: it!
i was thinking and researching about this question before my purchase. once i bought a Daytona and slapped it on my wrist, it doesn't matter anymore where the sub-dials are located or whether it's a 4030 or 4130 movement inside. it just works and looks great.

what matters most is you get a dial you like.
dpkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 12:30 AM   #11
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

There are certainly far less 16520s "out there" than the current 116520.

The ratio increases every day.

Out of these 16520s certain variants are very much sought after by collectors and in no small part due to their very finite numbers.

"Better" is such an subjective term it never really serves a useful purpose.

A collector would think an R serial porcelain dialled 16520 is 2 X "better" than a current 116520 and would back that up with twice the amount of hard cash on the table.

A watchmaker would have a more objective view on the two movements but even his/her views would not be clear cut.
Old 30 October 2011, 01:10 AM   #12
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Purely from a technical perspective the in house Rolex Daytona movement is way way superior to the old zenith. But you make your choice!
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 02:00 AM   #13
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
love both Daytona.... I would strive to get the zenith model one day.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 02:06 AM   #14
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Many Thanks...
True, the 4130 is has much more advantages over the 4030. The newer bracelets are also better than many of the older Zenith models.

It is also true that the Zenith model is more collectable.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote