The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 July 2009, 11:05 AM   #1
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Tag Heuer Aquaracer 500M

Now I was never much of a Tag Heuer person but this watch that was first seen at Basel 2009 has me going nuts! The Aquaracer 500M Did a Google search to find some pictures for this topic:

From - worldwatchreview.com

From - worldwatchreview.com

From - muyrelojes.com

Source unknown - Picture originally from Basel 2009

From - stuff.tv

From - watchuseek.com

From - watchuseek.com

From - watchuseek.com

From - watchuseek.com

Sells for MSRP $2,450.00 USD and herd AD's are discounting it 15% right now. Tag Heuer did an AMAZING job updating this watch! To me the older Aquaracer looked so cheap but this is

Wonder what he preowned prices will be like once a few pop up on this forum and the market in general My guess is it will be close to 50% off that $2,450.00 USD. If so I hope to save up fast and add one to my collection as soon as a good local deal pops up preowned

What do you all think of this watch?
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Madhatter

Good looking watch. I'm left handed so I get a kick out the date location.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2009, 11:23 AM   #3
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Oh cool! Yeah not only that but I just love how it is so unique from everything else I have seen. Would be a nice watch to rotate with over the years if you have a typical Omega / Rolex look. For me wearing the same one every day for years gets me too used to or bored of the look, so refreshing this is. Seems Tag truly is stepping up their game and improving the product line.

Do you know of Tag Heuer resale value? My guess is it would be like Breitling, Omega etc etc where you can buy used models 50% off MSRP. Only Rolex and a few others seem to have incredible resale and even then you can still get bargains used. Their loss is my gain
Old 21 July 2009, 01:50 PM   #4
Latrodectus
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
...that is a good looking one!

Member # 16057
4-Hands Club
Tosser Club Member
TRF Skypers Group
Latrodectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2009, 03:44 PM   #5
jamesh
"TRF" Member

I'm with you on that one - was never a huge fan of Tag Heuer but this one's really nice and (I think) reasonably priced..?
jamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2009, 05:50 PM   #6
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Been eyeing that myself. The blue one looks good and so does the gold one.

Tag's designs had always been intriguing, not shying away from new/different things. That's why they've got such a deep product set.
Old 21 July 2009, 05:59 PM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Nice, solid looking watch, but it might take a while to get used to that date window on the opposite side!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2009, 08:36 PM   #8
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
yeah the date window is not only on an unusual side but that the "500m" marking next to the date sort of keeps making me feel there is a day wheel too...other than that, really a big step up from the TAGs I've seen cuz they weren't worth anything, most of them at least IMHO

and just one more thing...one picture shows a watch with an orange seconds hand, which is very cool, but no other has it...is that even a specific model specification/difference?...kinda subtle!
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2009, 10:46 PM   #9
heresiarh
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-IIC
i actually really really love this watch. i'm wearing mine right now.

Old 21 July 2009, 11:16 PM   #10
Madhatter

RW16610, I think you're correct about the resale. 50% sounds right.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2009, 02:25 AM   #11
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrodectus View Post
...that is a good looking one!

For sure, Tag did such a great job... Now finally they are fair competition for a dive watch. Nice to see some that are more realistically priced because even with the money saved a lot might not want to spend what Omega and Rolex are asking for the new ones just to beat up. Still prefer Omega Rolex obviously but again, the options for the consumer now just got even better and not even a comprimise. Tag Heuer has a great history (starting in the 1800's) and so much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesh View Post
I'm with you on that one - was never a huge fan of Tag Heuer but this one's really nice and (I think) reasonably priced..?
It sure is! $2,450.00 USD from an AD and they are currently discounting them 15%. A friend said he saw them from Grey dealers in USA going for $1,550.00 BNIB! Used once more pop up on the market you should be able to find one for $1,200.00 depending on condition or even less! So if you are like me (and collect) but care for the resale in terms of not wanting to take a depreciation hit, better start to look for some used and grab a great deal asap! I know it is likely to happen for me, it is a good watch for swimming / beater to use freely and not have to worry about spending $900.00 USD on to repair it if something happens. Any competant watch maker can repair this easily for you too

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorsban View Post
Been eyeing that myself. The blue one looks good and so does the gold one.

Tag's designs had always been intriguing, not shying away from new/different things. That's why they've got such a deep product set.

Exactly, and those watches are sooo veru unique in the best possible way! Diffirentiation is amazing. Nice to see a watch brand thinking outside of the box and giving collectors / single owners great options. This watch is going to be very popular I can see it happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Nice, solid looking watch, but it might take a while to get used to that date window on the opposite side!!
Same, it would be so weird at first. Every watch I have owned had the date at 3 o clock of course and one even had it at 6 (Raymond Weil W1 Parsifal Chronograph). Guess it is a good change though and something nice and unique, can not wait to see it in the flesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asadtiger View Post
yeah the date window is not only on an unusual side but that the "500m" marking next to the date sort of keeps making me feel there is a day wheel too...other than that, really a big step up from the TAGs I've seen cuz they weren't worth anything, most of them at least IMHO

and just one more thing...one picture shows a watch with an orange seconds hand, which is very cool, but no other has it...is that even a specific model specification/difference?...kinda subtle!

Yeah I know exactly what you mean there. Does take some getting used to but for me the fact it is so different makes it appeal more. Would not be like any of the watches in my or most peoples collection and at a fantastic price also with a Transparent caseback, which is one of the two things my collection lacks that is desired (that and Chronograph) but like to keep it with divers watches because of their ability in water and look etc etc.

That is a very good question! We can try find out, right now I know nothing of this watch and it's varations but will see why that is. All I did was Google search for images so have no clue why that could be

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresiarh View Post
i actually really really love this watch. i'm wearing mine right now.
Awesome! So you will be able to tell us a lot more about it etc etc! Really loving that watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter View Post
RW16610, I think you're correct about the resale. 50% sounds right.
Yep I found out after, that is GREAT news. I love the brands with softer resale value. Ideal to buy preowned as their loss is your gain. Most complain about it but not I The fact that it will eventually be possible to pick these up for $1,200.00 - $1,500.00 USD depending on condition (used or BINB) is fantastic!
Old 22 July 2009, 03:11 AM   #12
heresiarh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Awesome! So you will be able to tell us a lot more about it etc etc! Really loving that watch
I can tell you some stuff briefly.

The watch is heavy, robust, and extremely solid. I wear it twice a week. So far the time has been accurate. Its actually been as good as my Explorer II. The bracelet is naturally better on the Rolex as far as comfort goes, but the one on the Tag is really good too. I'm totally loving the sapphire case back, I think every single watch should have it. Some people are hesitant about the rubber bezel, but I actually like the look and feel of it. Granted it won't last a life time, but I'm sure it can be easily replaced.

I LOVE THE LEFT SIDE DATE WINDOW. Personally, there is not a single complaint from
me.

Yes the watch is heavy, I mean really heavy, but I happen to love heavy watches. The lightest watch I have is my EXP II.

There, in a nutshell.

As for price, I think $1300 for used one is reasonable, and $1600 for gray market. Granted Tag doesn't have great resale value but this particular watch is pretty superb.
Old 22 July 2009, 03:14 AM   #13
heresiarh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asadtiger View Post

Yes, the variations in seconds hand colour is due to the fact that they have both an automatic and quartz version available. Thumbs down for the quartz version.
Old 22 July 2009, 03:26 AM   #14
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
tag hit a home run with that one.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2009, 04:57 AM   #15
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I can tell you some stuff briefly.

The watch is heavy, robust, and extremely solid. I wear it twice a week. So far the time has been accurate. Its actually been as good as my Explorer II. The bracelet is naturally better on the Rolex as far as comfort goes, but the one on the Tag is really good too. I'm totally loving the sapphire case back, I think every single watch should have it. Some people are hesitant about the rubber bezel, but I actually like the look and feel of it. Granted it won't last a life time, but I'm sure it can be easily replaced.

I LOVE THE LEFT SIDE DATE WINDOW. Personally, there is not a single complaint from
me.

Yes the watch is heavy, I mean really heavy, but I happen to love heavy watches. The lightest watch I have is my EXP II.

There, in a nutshell.

As for price, I think $1300 for used one is reasonable, and $1600 for gray market. Granted Tag doesn't have great resale value but this particular watch is pretty superb.
Awesome! Thank you very much for that little bit of info above I also LOVE a hefty watch so the weight does not bother me one bit. That rubber bezel / insert will be no problem to replace at all and again, they just made such a great dive watch here that is in a realistic price range. To me, I do not find dive watches costing around $10,000.00 USD nearly to be pratical in the sense that even for those who can afford it, sometimes you might be a bit hesitant to do extremely risky stuff with it on due to replacement part and repair costs. Thanks again for the info!

Quote:
Yes, the variations in seconds hand colour is due to the fact that they have both an automatic and quartz version available. Thumbs down for the quartz version.

Same, not a fan of Quartz at all! Hate batteries, how they die when you need them after a while and if you collect it is totally senseless because you have different batteries to worry about and them going dead etc etc. Thanks for letting us know of the second hand variations

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody p View Post
tag hit a home run with that one.

You got that right!
Old 22 July 2009, 05:01 AM   #16
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Not for me.
Old 22 July 2009, 05:54 PM   #17
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
Great thread! I tried this watch on and it looks fantastic! Great feel, solid design, looks quite durable. What I was really impressed by was the sapphire crystal on the case back. A 500M rated watch with an exhibition back! Amazing!

As a side note, the forth pictured Aquaracer contains an ETA 2824-2 inside. Click on Link to see. The version I saw at my local AD had a Sellita SW200. The Sellita is basically a clone of the ETA, even has the same dimensions. TAG calls either a "Caliber 5".
#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
C. Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2009, 11:07 PM   #18
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I looked at the one with the gold bezel. Nice watch but I found the $3650 msrp to be way too much.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2009, 11:27 PM   #19
heresiarh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I looked at the one with the gold bezel. Nice watch but I found the $3650 msrp to be way too much.
Yea but the quality is really really superb. However, you can probably get that watch for 20% less .... I prefer the non gold versions though. If you want a gold sports watch, nothing better than the two tone sub.
Old 22 July 2009, 11:36 PM   #20
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Wow, I can't believe this. I was on a flight home yesterday and noticed the flight attendant was wearing the same watch and the cyclpos @ nine really had be baffled. Mystery solved.
Great looking watch.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2009, 12:55 AM   #21
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
Not for me.
That is ok, not all will like it but who knows, with time it could pssibly grow on you (it has happend to me and many before but maybe not the case here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Davidson View Post
Great thread! I tried this watch on and it looks fantastic! Great feel, solid design, looks quite durable. What I was really impressed by was the sapphire crystal on the case back. A 500M rated watch with an exhibition back! Amazing!

As a side note, the forth pictured Aquaracer contains an ETA 2824-2 inside. Click on Link to see. The version I saw at my local AD had a Sellita SW200. The Sellita is basically a clone of the ETA, even has the same dimensions. TAG calls either a "Caliber 5".
Glad you like it! The 500M depth rating with the sapphire caseback is truly an achievement Thanks for that info on the movement too

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I know what you mean, but it is a great watch though. Personaly I would look for it used only and buy the watch for pretty much (literally) 50% less than that due to the softer resale of this brand (which is a good thing in cases like this as a buyer if you do not mind).

Quote:
Yea but the quality is really really superb. However, you can probably get that watch for 20% less .... I prefer the non gold versions though. If you want a gold sports watch, nothing better than the two tone sub.

Yeah I bet the AD's will soon if not already discount it 20%. Right now they are doing it at 15% but the really good deals will be from the Grey market BNIB or preowned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Wow, I can't believe this. I was on a flight home yesterday and noticed the flight attendant was wearing the same watch and the cyclpos @ nine really had be baffled. Mystery solved.
Great looking watch.
dP

Very cool, Dan! Glad you solved the mystery from my topic here
Old 8 December 2010, 06:22 AM   #22
mpaone
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
I'm thinking of getting one of these after I sell my 14060 Submariner. I also own a new Milgauss GV so I'd like to expand my experience a bit and I've found some online retailers selling for <$1500.

-Mike.
mpaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2010, 10:35 AM   #23
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

It was one of the watches I was seriously looking at recently, but I found it did not look as nice to me in the flesh as in the photos.
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2011, 06:00 AM   #24
JCB62
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1985 GMT Master SS
It's been singing to me as well. Just ordered one, I'll let you know how I like it when it gets here!
Tag Heuer Aquaracer 500M
JCB62 is offline   Reply With Quote