The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 April 2024, 12:39 AM   #1
RolexAwaytheDew
"TRF" Member

Up next - Pelagos 39?

After purchasing my CHNR, I am now contemplating “what next”. My first inclination was a no date sub for everyday. While I was at the AD, I tried on the Pelagos 39, and I liked it a lot. I am small-wristed, and I liked the size and the weight. I cannot lie - I also like the price point, too. I am not looking to make another purchase immediately, maybe in a year or so.

Any opinions on this piece? My current everyday watches are a late 80’s SS Date and a Panerai PAM 00936.
RolexAwaytheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 12:50 AM   #2
Watchsprings
"TRF" Member

I really enjoy mine, it lightweight makes it very comfortable and I like the darker hue of the titanium.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4494.jpeg (158.8 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4287.jpeg (89.8 KB, 424 views)
Watchsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 11:30 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am a huge Pelagos fan and own all of the models in 42mm. The 39 is a very cool watch but with a larger wrist, 7.5-7.75 inches, the 42mm version works better for me. I think you will enjoy the Pelagos 39 and while it is not a Submariner, it is different enough in a good way to make the purchase worthwhile.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 11:59 PM   #4
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
That would be a nice compliment to your CHNR and make a great daily.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 02:03 AM   #5
dcorn
"TRF" Member

I don't see a reason to go after a no-date sub over a P39 unless you just want the Rolex name on the dial. I'd buy one, but I just got rid of a sub because I wanted a GMT. Too bad all the Tudor GMTs are ridiculously thick.
dcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 03:03 AM   #6
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

I have both the Pelagos 39 and a 124060. My GADA is the Pelagos, and the Sub is more like jewelry now. I’ve even thought about selling the Sub, but I know deep down it’s a keeper.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 03:14 AM   #7
SCF87
"TRF" Member

I have a Sub Date 126610 and a Pelagos 39. The Pelagos is getting about double the wrist time as titanium is a game changer for me.

I also got mine new on the grey market and spent about $1000 less than getting from AD. Warranty card was dated 2 months before I picked it up so it came with Tutor's full warranty and dealer I purchased from offers a 2 year warranty, also.
SCF87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 03:44 AM   #8
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Great watch. I am not an owner, but I did recently take my father in law to buy his first luxury watch and this was what I suggested given his preference and budget. He absolutely loves it. If I didn't have a 124060 and was on the smaller side, it's what I would go with.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 04:03 AM   #9
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
I will never buy or recommend to others another Tudor dive watch until they fix the bezel stickiness issue. I think this is brought on by the tight tolerances utilized.

I had a Black Bay 58 that would lock up almost immediately after getting in the water--weather ocean, pool, or just while giving it a bath (although to a lower extent). It was a pain to get it unstuck each time. I sent it RSC Dallas, and it came back still doing it. I sold the watch almost a month later.

Looking it up, several people have had this issue. People excuse it with, "Just soak it in water with dish soap overnight," and/or, "run some floss through there to get any debris out."

Really? This is a dive watch that costs a few thousand dollars that can't fully function in water. My $1k Ginault Ocean Rover that's a Sub homage can get wet and work as expected every time. It's utterly ridiculous and completely inexcusable.

I've read the Pelagos suffers the same issue as my BB58 had. I'd assume the P39 is no different.

If you're looking at buying new on the P39, I'd suggest getting a pre-owned 5 digit Sub for just a little more instead.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 04:33 AM   #10
Tallbark
"TRF" Member

Bought one this weekend. As somebody else I also have the 126610. The 39 is a joy to wear. Light, sub-like apperance with a modern twist. Love it so far.
Tallbark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 05:09 AM   #11
MSL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270,15010,P39
Go for it.I have one and it's a great in artificial light.
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 09:42 AM   #12
ColoradoTime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss
I love mine. I also have a sub - but my Pelagos is my GADA watch.
ColoradoTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 10:55 AM   #13
cdm765
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexAwaytheDew View Post
After purchasing my CHNR, I am now contemplating “what next”. My first inclination was a no date sub for everyday. While I was at the AD, I tried on the Pelagos 39, and I liked it a lot. I am small-wristed, and I liked the size and the weight. I cannot lie - I also like the price point, too. I am not looking to make another purchase immediately, maybe in a year or so.

Any opinions on this piece? My current everyday watches are a late 80’s SS Date and a Panerai PAM 00936.
I would not buy this watch unless you already have a Submariner. This is a great watch, but in no way will scratch that itch.
cdm765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 11:11 AM   #14
S54Mickey
"TRF" Member

The P39 is the most comfortable watch I own.
S54Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 01:16 PM   #15
watchboynyc
"TRF" Member

I really enjoy the pelagos 39 a lot. It's nice and light and the price is amazing
watchboynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 11:22 PM   #16
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

The newer P39 and FXD are considerably thinner than the original 42 versions. I was on the list for a P39 until the black FXD was released. In the last five months, I wear the FXD about 90% of the time over my 116610. I save the Sub for the rare times I need to dress up a bit.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote