The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 October 2009, 03:56 PM   #1
Rob1963

Time Keeping Accuracy

Hi, it's Rob again. Can I also please ask if someone could advise me on how exact Rolex's time keeping is. I'm losing up to 5 secs a day which I didn't really expect. Is this normal?
Rob1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2009, 09:04 PM   #2
Ck8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1963 View Post
Hi, it's Rob again. Can I also please ask if someone could advise me on how exact Rolex's time keeping is. I'm losing up to 5 secs a day which I didn't really expect. Is this normal?
Well that depends on how maticulous the watchmaker is with reguglating thw watch. I have got a SS Daytona that was -3 secs/ day and I had it regulated and its now spot on and I mean spot on daily. I had a Exp II for 10 years and that was spot on from first day without any regulation. I also had a TT Datejust that was spot on after a service. Now I have a GMT IIc that is running +4 secs/day I am letting it run in and perhaps I will send it back to get it regulated. Because I have had Rolexes in the past and my present Daytona with superb accuracy, I am spoilt, and I want all my Rolexes to be just accurate.
Ck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2009, 01:02 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ck8 View Post
Well that depends on how maticulous the watchmaker is with reguglating thw watch. I have got a SS Daytona that was -3 secs/ day and I had it regulated and its now spot on and I mean spot on daily. I had a Exp II for 10 years and that was spot on from first day without any regulation. I also had a TT Datejust that was spot on after a service. Now I have a GMT IIc that is running +4 secs/day I am letting it run in and perhaps I will send it back to get it regulated. Because I have had Rolexes in the past and my present Daytona with superb accuracy, I am spoilt, and I want all my Rolexes to be just accurate.
Well how much more accurate could anyone ask from any mechanical watch
-3 seconds or +4 a day is superb.And if any mechanical watch runs to or inside the COSC spec you should be jumping for joy.

Below is the COSC testing standards first colum for
movements of Rolex size.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2009, 08:28 AM   #4
Rob1963

Why not, you pay enough for them. Thanks for the reply. Rob

You certainly know your stuff! You're very kind, thanks. Rob

I'll start jumping! Thanks for the detailed reply. Rob
Rob1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2009, 12:53 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1963 View Post
No mechanical movement any make any price is going to be spot on accurate.There will be always slight daily deviations.The set COSC standard is a average of -4 to +6 over 24 hours.Try resting you watch off wrist at night flat dial up might gain a few seconds.Remeber its mechanical and in 24 hours, the escapement of a mechanical watch pushes the gears 432,000 times. Since a day has 86,400 seconds, even a watch that runs five minutes fast or slow each day has an accuracy of over 99.6 percent! A finer mechanical watch that gains or loses about six to nine seconds a day or about a minute a week has a breathtaking precision of over 99.99 per cent. This is very high precision, given the fact that the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on.Its a simple fact no mechanical watch made will keep 100% perfect time, very close yes but perfect no.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 26 October 2009, 10:58 AM   #6
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

My GMT is losing about 6 seconds over 24 hours. I think I will have to take it back to the AD. What do you all think?
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2009, 03:28 PM   #7
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingoodtime View Post
My GMT is losing about 6 seconds over 24 hours. I think I will have to take it back to the AD. What do you all think?
Do it! My brand new Sub Date was the same, -6 seconds a day. One trip to Dallas RSC and it's - 1/2 a second a day. I am totally happy!
Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 05:24 AM   #8
Ck8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl View Post
Do it! My brand new Sub Date was the same, -6 seconds a day. One trip to Dallas RSC and it's - 1/2 a second a day. I am totally happy!
How soon should I take it back? Or should I say how long do I have to let the watch break in and bedded? My Daytona I had it for about a year before I sent it back for regulating.
Old 27 October 2009, 08:36 PM   #9
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
I would'nt loose sleep over +5 a day. Its well within spec and may change over time - when you get it serviced ask them to regulate it so it runs in tune with your wearing habits. But there's nothing wrong with it.

My Sub ran at +6 (regulated to +3), my DJ at + 1 and my Omega Seamaster runs at +4. I just bought a 2003 GMT which has been sitting in a safe for 6 years doing nothing and it runs at - 0.5 !!

There are so many variables so as long as your watch runs within spec it's doing very well - just wear it and enjoy it.
Old 28 October 2009, 03:55 AM   #10
Ck8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I would'nt loose sleep over +5 a day. Its well within spec and may change over time - when you get it serviced ask them to regulate it so it runs in tune with your wearing habits. But there's nothing wrong with it.

My Sub ran at +6 (regulated to +3), my DJ at + 1 and my Omega Seamaster runs at +4. I just bought a 2003 GMT which has been sitting in a safe for 6 years doing nothing and it runs at - 0.5 !!

There are so many variables so as long as your watch runs within spec it's doing very well - just wear it and enjoy it.
The trouble is my last regular Rolex I've had for 10 years without a service. I certainly don't want to wear my watch for next 10 years at +4 secs/day.
Old 28 October 2009, 06:24 AM   #11
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ck8 View Post
How soon should I take it back? Or should I say how long do I have to let the watch break in and bedded? My Daytona I had it for about a year before I sent it back for regulating.
Maybe after 3-6 months. Although I think the break in idea might not be accurate, and if it is, I would think a new watch would be 'broken in' in a few weeks. Mine was 3 months old when I sent it to Dallas last month.
Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 11:32 PM   #12
1Gunner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613,16030, BM
My Sub is 6 months old and is ~+5 secs per day.
When it was new-er (1-2 months old) it was +7 secs per day.

It seems to have settled in nicely.
1Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2009, 09:04 PM   #13
sevryn999
"TRF" Member

What can I expect to pay to get a watch that doesn't lose any time at all?
sevryn999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2009, 11:41 PM   #14
dkpw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 & 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevryn999 View Post
http://tinyurl.com/yhh9gtb

£10....

David
dkpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2009, 02:42 AM   #15
dienstuhr

Watch: Tritium 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevryn999 View Post
Go down to the watch kiosk at Polo Park and pick up a $10 quartz. It'll be more accurate than any Rolex. ;-)

Cheers

d.
dienstuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2009, 11:13 PM   #16
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dienstuhr View Post
Actually a constant (small) gain or loss is a sign of a good movement. What is problematic is when a watch gains/loses time in a random fashion.

Try leaving the watch dial upwards overnight and see what happens to the accuracy.

d.
Have to agree with you the most important thing with any mechanical watch in consistency.Afraid today Rolex has done a great job over the years brainwashing quite a few that all Rolex mechanical watches are spot on accurate.But in the real world thats not so there will be always tiny daily deviations.And to get any mechanical watch to self regulated,say by different resting positions at night is quite rare in the real world.But in general to loose a few seconds rest watch vertical crown up or down.But for any mechanical watch to show such consistency of +4 seconds I would be very very very happy.Nothing is perfect not even Rolex or any pure mechanical watch for absolute perfect timekeeping its that simple.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club