The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 September 2006, 10:04 AM   #1
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Blue Sub -should I sell?

I have had thoughts about selling off my blue TT sub lately. It just seems like I do not wear it that much. But wonder if I will regret it if I do.

I know JJ had some regrets about getting rid of his, but was wondering if I could get some more thoughts, perhaps anyone else who has sold theirs. Do you miss having it?

Something about the blue and gold that just seems a bit flashy for me. When I wear the TT DJ it does not seem to attract as much attention. The sub is a nice watch, no arguments about that.

It almost seems like a "love/I could care less" relationship. I look at it and know it is a beautiful watch, but not sure if it should stay in the collection. But if I sell it and want to buy it back later, I will take a huge loss. (I mainly buy new from an AD, so buying used rarely temps me.)

Perhaps I am a little confused and just looking for some input on how others decide to sell a watch or not.

And for the record I am not trying to shill the watch as I probably would not even be looking to actually sell it until at least December. But it wil probably take me at least that long to decide if I want to sell it.

TIA for any advice.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 10:34 AM   #2
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
I regret selling my old Rolex. I also regret selling my Nikons, Leicas, and lots of other stuff. If you need the cash to buy food or gas I can understand, but if it is just sitting there not hurting anything, I would say wait for a moment. Mayb it will make a good gift, maybe you can sell it to someone for a great price, who knows.

My first Rolex was sold and I have no idea where the cash went to, but I knew that watch. Even though I made money, I lost a memory. It would be like selling a pet.

If my Rolex leaves my arm before I die it will be because it was by court order or I gave it to someone. I will not even trade up, it will remain mine. I learned my lesson.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 10:44 AM   #3
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
My first Rolex was sold and I have no idea where the cash went to, but I knew that watch. Even though I made money, I lost a memory.
Wow! That was really well said.
Old 24 September 2006, 11:56 AM   #4
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I regret selling my old Rolex. I also regret selling my Nikons, Leicas, and lots of other stuff. If you need the cash to buy food or gas I can understand, but if it is just sitting there not hurting anything, I would say wait for a moment. Mayb it will make a good gift, maybe you can sell it to someone for a great price, who knows.

My first Rolex was sold and I have no idea where the cash went to, but I knew that watch. Even though I made money, I lost a memory. It would be like selling a pet.

If my Rolex leaves my arm before I die it will be because it was by court order or I gave it to someone. I will not even trade up, it will remain mine. I learned my lesson.

Well said, astcell

Only you know whether or not to let the Sub go. I can offer this, if I had to put as much thought into a sale as you are into this on and like astcell said, the money wasn't needed, I'm sure letting it go would be the WRONG thing for me to do
Old 24 September 2006, 11:58 AM   #5
watchdrummer
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT YM TT Sub TT Da
Out of my YM, Daytona and Blue Sub--if I had to sell one, I would not sell the Sub first.
watchdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 12:56 PM   #6
Rto
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ-AP-PP-Rolex
I'm getting exaclty one this next week ("before price increase")...so did not have one yet to give you a honest opinion.
Rto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 01:02 PM   #7
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
I have had thoughts about selling off my blue TT sub lately. It just seems like I do not wear it that much. But wonder if I will regret it if I do.

I know JJ had some regrets about getting rid of his, but was wondering if I could get some more thoughts, perhaps anyone else who has sold theirs. Do you miss having it?

Something about the blue and gold that just seems a bit flashy for me. When I wear the TT DJ it does not seem to attract as much attention. The sub is a nice watch, no arguments about that.

It almost seems like a "love/I could care less" relationship. I look at it and know it is a beautiful watch, but not sure if it should stay in the collection. But if I sell it and want to buy it back later, I will take a huge loss. (I mainly buy new from an AD, so buying used rarely temps me.)

Perhaps I am a little confused and just looking for some input on how others decide to sell a watch or not.

And for the record I am not trying to shill the watch as I probably would not even be looking to actually sell it until at least December. But it wil probably take me at least that long to decide if I want to sell it.

TIA for any advice.
Mark,
As I recall you've had that watch a while. The simple fact that you've had the watch so long means that it must have some special place or meaning to you. I dare say you've built a bit of a history with that piece, and while you could replace the watch at some point down the road--could you replace the memories?
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 05:38 PM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Mark,

Robert (astcell) and the others have given some very good advice.

Please DON'T sell it. To be very honest, I was STUPID to trade it off early last year. I've regreted it ever since. I never had the guts to tell you guys how much I missed it and how hasty I was to have gotten rid of it. I knew I would never hear the last of it, so I just swallowed humble pie and kept my mouth shut about the whole affair. I really began to miss that baby!!!

I felt very guilty about my act all these months and now I'm trying desperately to get a new one back.

If you don't need the money, then please don't dispose off that baby, Mark. Trust me, you will regret it...the way I did. Some pics of my long lost baby...

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 05:58 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well Mark tough decision,but a decision afraid that only you can take.My advice think hard and long,before you make your final choice.Then if your Sub no longer smiles back,then yes its time for a chance.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 06:01 PM   #10
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
like the others, dont sell it!

Instagram: rolexfan69
djemmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 09:00 PM   #11
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys, Really, thanks.

I think I will need to really consider the sale of the TT sub a little bit more. It is true I could replace it later, but it would not be the same watch that has traveled with me to many places. If I were to sell one I think it would just "feel" right to let the OQ go first.

Mark
Old 24 September 2006, 10:33 PM   #12
miner
"TRF" Member

Mark
I don't think I could sell one of my Rolex watches and then buy a replacement later because each one I buy (I have 3) has so much sentimental value attached to it. The replacement would be just that, the replacement. I am sure your TT has a bunch of memories etc that another TT won't match. Like Astcell, if a watch leaves me it will be because I gave it away (No1, my GMT goes to my son in about 10 yrs time when he leave school). Nos 2 and 3 will stay with me until I peg it.
I don't see my Rollies as commodities,the share market is for that.
If it was me I'd keep the TT
miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 10:39 PM   #13
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
My TT Blue pleads with your TT Blue... DON'T LET HIM DO IT!!!

Old 24 September 2006, 11:32 PM   #14
astcell
"TRF" Member

Maybe if you MUST sell, offer it to someone here on "indefinite pawn."
Old 24 September 2006, 11:38 PM   #15
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe if you MUST sell, offer it to someone here on "indefinite pawn."
JJ, perhaps!
Old 24 September 2006, 11:47 PM   #16
miner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
JJ, perhaps!
I thought JJ only bought BNIB chinese Rollies???
miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 11:51 PM   #17
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
I thought JJ only bought BNIB chinese Rollies???
Normally, but an "indefinite pawn" of a TT Blue Sub might just do the trick!
Old 25 September 2006, 12:05 AM   #18
ohsixx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Make a guess!
I recently purchased my first Rolex; the blue sub. It is just about the nicest one out there in my opinion. I think you would eventually regret selling it.
ohsixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 12:06 AM   #19
astcell
"TRF" Member

I may get the black TT sub today...any reason NOT to? I would of course have rights to trade it to the GMT if/when they get it!
Old 25 September 2006, 04:31 AM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
I may get the black TT sub today...any reason NOT to? I would of course have rights to trade it to the GMT if/when they get it!
Hi Robert,

While the TT Black Sub is almost as good looking as the Blue one, why buy it and then trade up? Won't you lose a considerable amount on the trade up? Not sure how it works in your part of the world, though.

Here, once you've bought the watch....that's it. There's no exchanging or trading, unless of course the watch has a major mechanical flaw in it.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 25 September 2006, 09:22 AM   #21
astcell
"TRF" Member

Oh I'd trade up in the next 10 days, just buy it to be locked in to the lower price. Then if they cannot get the watch I want I will have a 2nd place watch.
Old 25 September 2006, 09:30 AM   #22
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Mark, much as I personally am not crazy about the Blue Sub, if it's not a question of needing the money, I think I would put it away for a while. Let it sit out of sight for a few months. Then come back to it and see if it holds any appeal for you then. If it does, then you know - don't get rid of it. If it doesn't cause at least a spark of interest, then you might want to consider giving it a new home where it will be truly appreciated and move on to something that does turn you on.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 01:28 PM   #23
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Swap it for a black TT sub...............................you know it makes sense!

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 04:10 PM   #24
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
Mark, much as I personally am not crazy about the Blue Sub, if it's not a question of needing the money, I think I would put it away for a while. Let it sit out of sight for a few months. Then come back to it and see if it holds any appeal for you then. If it does, then you know - don't get rid of it. If it doesn't cause at least a spark of interest, then you might want to consider giving it a new home where it will be truly appreciated and move on to something that does turn you on.

This a a good idea, perhaps I'll just leave it in the safe deposit box for awhile and see how I feel about it in a few months.
Old 25 September 2006, 05:25 PM   #25
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
This a a good idea, perhaps I'll just leave it in the safe deposit box for awhile and see how I feel about it in a few months.
Or you could sent it over to me for some real TLC treatment!!