The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 October 2023, 03:53 PM   #1
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Where to get caseback engraved?

I have a 16613LB Bluesy that I bought over 5 years ago so no longer under warranty.

I want the Cal logo on the caseback (since I got this watch as a late graduation gift to myself). So I guess a few questions:

1) If I want the “Cal” logo, I probably have to go outside of Rolex. Any recommendations on specific companies that can engrave this for me? Approximate cost? And would engraving this via 3rd party create any problems for me when I need to service the watch?
2) If I want to do through Rolex directly, I assume I can’t have any logo’s or IP owned by anyone else, so im thinking of just putting “Berkeley, 2012” on there. How much would this engraving cost and can I choose the font type?

Thanks.

And I do not care about resale value fyi
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 04:04 PM   #2
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
I would buy a second caseback since it’s SS and not expensive. That way you can get it engraved with whatever you’d like and then if the watch ever needs to go to Rolex for service you can have a local watch shop just swap the non-engraved caseback onto the watch before it goes in.

If you got it serviced now before engraving you’d have a solid decade before you’d even have to think about it. Then you can get the Cal logo you want with no service worries for the foreseeable future.
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 04:23 PM   #3
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
I have a 16613LB Bluesy that I bought over 5 years ago so no longer under warranty.

I want the Cal logo on the caseback (since I got this watch as a late graduation gift to myself). So I guess a few questions:

1) If I want the “Cal” logo, I probably have to go outside of Rolex. Any recommendations on specific companies that can engrave this for me? Approximate cost? And would engraving this via 3rd party create any problems for me when I need to service the watch?
2) If I want to do through Rolex directly, I assume I can’t have any logo’s or IP owned by anyone else, so im thinking of just putting “Berkeley, 2012” on there. How much would this engraving cost and can I choose the font type?

Thanks.

And I do not care about resale value fyi
My local AD engraved my wife and I's watches. They charged us 50 euro total because we did not purchase these particular watches from them, they offer the service for free if the watch is purchased from them. I told them what we wanted and they then sent us 8-10 ideas to choose from and we discussed fonts and dial placement....it was quite an easy experience. I dont think they will give you any issues about putting logo's or whatever you want on the back as long as they can fit the design on the caseback.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engraved.jpg (80.2 KB, 262 views)
jcdevoe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 05:48 PM   #4
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Definitely check out your local AD
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 06:13 PM   #5
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
I did it, years ago, at a local diamond and watch store years ago regarding the 16570 which I gave to my son at his graduation.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 10:42 PM   #6
IGY
"TRF" Member

It's a good question. First you need to decide whether to get a computer executed laser engraving (frankly more an etch). Or whether you want to get the real thing and get it hand engraved. If I bothered at all, I would go the hand engraving route. I don't have any specific recommendation, especially as I live over the pond. But a quick google search pulled up this guy: http://www.dwharris.net/engraved-watches.html

Obviously you just want the case back done, not the whole watch blinged out, but I'd ask people like this guy in Texas.

Good idea for celebrate your graduation. Hope you find someone good to do it for you.
IGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 10:43 PM   #7
IGY
"TRF" Member

Check out this guy in London. Drool... amazing work.
https://www.londonengraver.com/watches.html#/
IGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 12:27 AM   #8
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGY View Post
Check out this guy in London. Drool... amazing work.
https://www.londonengraver.com/watches.html#/
Wow that is another level of engraving, beautiful work.
Booth9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 12:09 PM   #9
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Dont do it.
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 02:02 PM   #10
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If by “logo” you want the Cal seal done by hand then:

David Wade Harris
320 CR 1405 Jacksonville, Texas 75766
817-219-0484
www.dwharris.net

EMAIL: dwh@dwharris.com
Custom watch engraving can cost from $1000 - $2500 and even more. Some of the examples on my site show engraving cost as well.

But if you just want the “Cal” script, then it can be any of the school’s laser cutters who do their trophies, medals, etc. - they’ll already have the digital file set-up. Just tell them you want triple depth to get a deeper cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 03:54 PM   #11
Alphaguy
Banned

If you're looking to get your caseback engraved, going to a reputable third-party company that specializes in watch engraving would be your best bet. They can help you with custom designs like the "Cal" logo and give you an idea of the approximate cost.

If you prefer to go through Rolex directly, they usually offer engraving options like putting "Berkeley, 2012" on the caseback. The cost and font type options would vary, so it's best to check with your local Rolex service center for more details.
Alphaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 06:45 PM   #12
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv y96xxxx
My late father was a drafts man all his life his writing was perfect. He hand engraved his DD that he wanted me to have. Very special to think he wrote it. "Love Dad and the date.
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote