The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 December 2006, 11:36 PM   #1
rusi
Banned

Icon2 Gmt

Hi,
Just saw a GMT -16750, circa 1982, movt.3075, quick set date, white date wheel open 6s, acyrlic crystal, 27J, Tritium on hr. markers & hands very bad (will definately require relume), matte dial 70%, 78360 bracelet, worth for USD 2000 ? Are all the above corelated or is something missing or changed ?
rusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2006, 11:38 PM   #2
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusi View Post
Hi,
Just saw a GMT -16750, circa 1982, movt.3075, quick set date, white date wheel open 6s, acyrlic crystal, 27J, Tritium on hr. markers & hands very bad (will definately require relume), matte dial 70%, 78360 bracelet, worth for USD 2000 ? Are all the above corelated or is something missing or changed ?
Seems a tad high, esp. if it's going to need service (figure about $500 + for that). Maybe drop the price by $200 - 300 and it could be a good deal.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2006, 12:04 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Rusi just let a really mint box papers and just serviced 1982 16750 transitional go for $3300,and good ones sell for around $2400-$3550.So at $2000 a little bit of lee-way if any work is needed,the bracelet is correct.But be very careful if you buy what you do regarding the dial.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2006, 01:53 AM   #4
rusi
Banned

Hi Folks,
I think you both are right. Its not in good condition, but my main query was, is everything right ,all the details I have posted, do they correspond with the 16750, esp. the quick set with acyrlic crystal.
rusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2006, 03:06 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
The 16750 is considered to be another "transitional" because Rolex produced them as a step closer to the modern type GMT II the. 16710.Some say it was a major improvement over it's predecessor, the 1675 with the Cal 1565/1575.This was because of the new fast beat movement the quick set cal 3075 which was 28,800 BPS,instead of the 19,800 BPS Cal 1565/1575.But IMO this was only to bring them into line with all the rest of the major brands at this time as they were all using hi beat movements.The 16750 was only produced for around 5 years 1980-85 and the matte dial was only available for about 3 of those years.It was replaced around 1989 by another much rarer transitional GMT the 16700.And this was the first to use a sapphire crystal and the new Cal 3175.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2006, 09:26 AM   #6
mike
"TRF" Member

That all good rusi. As padi said, quick-set date, 3075 movement, acryllic crystal, 78360 (should have 580s), date wheel may go either way. I seen a couple with silver, some white. I think this was during the crossover period. All replacement date wheels will be white, and all should have opens.
The thin case of the 1675 also carried over to the 16750.

The price,I think, depends on what your plans for the watch are. Certainly if done by Rolex service will be about $500 and if the dial and hands are as you say add about $225 for a dial (WG surrounds and luminova) and about $45 for a set of hands.
One of the unique features of the transitional matt dials was the "tall" coronet as opposed to the latter standard size on latter dials. Additional early matt dials were all marked "OYSTER PERPETUAL" as oppossed to the latter gloss dials with WG marked "OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE".

As the 16750 underwent a change over circa 1983 or so and was issued with the WG dial replacement dials are all gloss WG.

Some have tried to use a 1675 dial but the feet are different and won't work. Additionally, for whatever reason the hands on the 16750 suffered from a lot of corrosion. Finding replacement hands is very difficult. Some have tried a hand set from a 1675. They will go on the watch but will NOT be correct for the reference because of a difference in the stack.

1675 stack--24 hr. hand on bottom

16750 stack--12 hr. hand on bottom

Early matt and latter WG

Reluming will generally lower the collectability of the watch. Although there are suppliers that can relume with a vintage look it will still be a luminova relume. The functionallity of the watch certainly will be inhanced, but at the cost of orginality.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2006, 09:58 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Mike, your pics never cease to fascinate me!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote