The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 February 2008, 12:12 AM   #1
tkyong1
"TRF" Member

Icon9 Rolex Submariner vs Omega Seamaster vs Tag Aquaracer

Hi Everyone,

I am newbie to luxury watch.
To me, the 3 mentioned watches looks a like, the outlook, function are almost the same. The only major differences i can find is the price, ranging from US$1500 - 4000. And of course the branding.

I am seriously thinking to get one for myself. It is hard to choice among the 3.

For value for money: i guess Tag is the 1st choice.
For branding value: Rolex Subis a must but the price paid is hard to justify.

Dudes, need your advice.......
tkyong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 12:22 AM   #2
robbyrolex
"TRF" Member

I've been there

I Started with Tag then to Omega and now Rolex

IMHO

Save and make the Rolex your first purchase, you'll end up saving $ in the long run and get to enjoy the Rolex longer and sooner.

The Rolex will be worth the $ spent.
robbyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 12:25 AM   #3
Atomant
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyrolex View Post

IMHO

Save and make the Rolex your first purchase, you'll end up saving $ in the long run and get to enjoy the Rolex longer and sooner.

What Robby means is, just get a rolex straight!

I share the same story too. Bought many Seikos and pretend it's a Rolex. Now I own a SD and am finally happy.
Old 20 February 2008, 12:25 AM   #4
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Welcome to TRF!

All three watches are very good choices in their own right. Probably, you get most watch for your money with the Omega SM, but you would take a big hit if you want to resell it later. Same thing applies to the Tag Heuer.

Click this link to go to a comparative test of the SS Sub Date and the Omega SM.

If you want a classic icon of diver's watches, go for the SS Sub Date. You get one of the best movements ever made, the Cal. 3135, most of the ingenious Rolex inventions incorporated in ONE watch, and also a watch that you can get your money back on if you want to resell it later if you just wait some years.

Good luck!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 12:33 AM   #5
Atomant
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
Welcome to TRF!

All three watches are very good choices in their own right. Probably, you get most watch for your money with the Omega SM, but you would take a big hit if you want to resell it later. Same thing applies to the Tag Heuer.

Click this link to go to a comparative test of the SS Sub Date and the Omega SM.

If you want a classic icon of diver's watches, go for the SS Sub Date. You get one of the best movements ever made, the Cal. 3135, most of the ingenious Rolex inventions incorporated in ONE watch, and also a watch that you can get your money back on if you want to resell it later if you just wait some years.

Good luck!
And I fully agree with Bo.
Old 20 February 2008, 12:37 AM   #6
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
Well, I don't know what answer you'd expect from the girls and guys at the ROLEX Forum, but let me add my two cents: Go Rolex. That Sub is iconic, it is recognizable all over the world and is the only watch in the world (besides a Panerai 244) that I want. Why do I want it so? The brand is inconsequential - it is simply a watch that is more exquisitely engineered than the other two. It also has a movement that is made by it's manufacturer, unlike the other two. And it will (even though I'd never buy a watch for an investment) hold its value far, far better than your other choices. But it's also a Rolex Sub - it's what real men wear.
rpryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 12:59 AM   #7
fear
"TRF" Member

You do the research. You buy the TAG and not satisfied so you sell at a loss and buy the Omega. Still not satisfied! So you sell the Seamaster at a loss. You realize that the Rolex's the one you wanted all along. You'll be kicking yourself for not getting it before the price increase!

Do youself a favor. Get the Submariner!
fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 01:01 AM   #8
The Oyster Catcher
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyrolex View Post

IMHO

Agreed!

Another post wrote recently, and I quote: " I only buy the best and cry once..........."

Believe me - it's good advice!
The Oyster Catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 01:04 AM   #9
Paperbill

Watch: Daytona SS
Ive had both the Omega and Sub, Sub is a little more robust, Omega a good value. I would buy them both.....
Paperbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 01:06 AM   #10
BlackpoolRolexCoaste

Watch: Blue sub & SS Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by fear View Post
You do the research. You buy the TAG and not satisfied so you sell at a loss and buy the Omega. Still not satisfied! So you sell the Seamaster at a loss. You realize that the Rolex's the one you wanted all along. You'll be kicking yourself for not getting it before the price increase!

Do youself a favor. Get the Submariner!
You know you want it!
BlackpoolRolexCoaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 01:06 AM   #11
portable75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT II
Seikos, Tag and a Tudor....was not happy until I got my GMTII
Old 20 February 2008, 01:16 AM   #12
fear
"TRF" Member

"For branding value: Rolex Sub is a must but the price paid is hard to justify."

Branding? Justify this!

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...+tells+a+story
Old 20 February 2008, 01:18 AM   #13
fear
"TRF" Member

I must've copied the link wrong. Do a TRF search: Every Rolex Tells a Story.
Old 20 February 2008, 01:43 AM   #14
volvo
"TRF" Member

My Friend all three watches brands you mention are very good ones..don't go by it's re-sale value or what, just buy the watch that you really really want and like.
volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 02:03 AM   #15
Wisher
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Forget the cost and brand for a moment

and honestly think about which one YOU like the best in terms of looks. They are all similar in style with slightly different aspects. So, if they were to all cost they same and were made by Tag (or Omega or Rolex, for instance), then which one appeals to you the most?

Next, have you tried them all on your writst yet? See what they look and feel like. You may be surprised (as I have many times) to find that a watch doesn't look as good on your wrist as it does in a photo or sitting on the counter.

After all this, you may change your opinion.

Now in my opinion, out of all three, the watch that looks the best, feels the best, and gives you the most satisfaction because of an outstanding brand, then you need look no further than the Submariner. I have 3 (counting one Tudor Submariner) in different styles. I LOVE that Submariner look that seems to smile.
Wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 02:07 AM   #16
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
I would advise against the Tag. Not the QC or commitment to craftmanship that you get from Rolex. Plus, everyone who thinks they want a luxury watch has one.

Omega v. Rolex you are left with. Omega wins on value. They make a fantastic, durable watch with amazing qualities. Clean lines, good weight, great bracelet and clasp. Features I would love to see on a Rolex, such as AR coating under the crystal and excellent luminous material. The price of the Omega isn't much more than the Tag (once you figure in actual market value and discounts), but it's 1/3 of the Rolex.

Rolex wins on "which is better." You just can't compare to a Rolex. The lines are classic. They started it all. The case, dial, and bezel are iconic and copied by every other watch company (including both Tag and Omega). Their service blows Omega away, but that's more a function of crappy Omega service than great Rolex service. Plus, when you've got a Sub on your wrist, there is no possibility that you'll look at another diving watch as superior. If you're wearing a Seamaster, there's still a chance that Sub will tug at you.

In short:
1. Forget the Tag.
2. If you want a "good buy," get the Omega. Possibly the best value watch out there ('cept maybe Oris).
3. If you want the best, get the Sub.
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 02:21 AM   #17
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Tags, Omegas, and Rolex... Probably the three most desired sport watch brands today..

The Tag is well regarded and robust but being the cheaper of the bunch, is considered a throw away watch.. You wear it til it breaks, then toss it....you can't resell very easily and the cost for repairs just don't justify it as a keeper (unless you truly admire the brand). If you wear one you will always be telling people why you "chose" this over either Omega or Rolex, but the logic will fail.

The Omega is a well known and reliable watch. They are keepers and have a good support structure. They retain decent re-sell value and Omega enthlusiasts take as good care of their Omegas as Rolex owners. The new Omegas will go up probably a thousand bucks next year as they will move to their Co-axial movements which incorporate a free-sprung balance...a feature all Rolex have had for years.

The Rolex is the gold standard where all others are judged. They cost a bit more but you get a bit more exotic case metal (904 Stainless vs. 316, or 18k solid gold vs 14k plate, etc.) A free sprung balance movement, and hands and markers on the dial that are 18k gold. Resales of almost any Rolex is at least what you paid for them after 5 years and many are more.. When you say you have a Rolex on your wrist...you don't have to say anything else.
Old 20 February 2008, 02:22 AM   #18
DS/B MINI S
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD & Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
Welcome to TRF!

Good luck!
I have both the Omega SMP and Rolex Sea-Dweller. Both are very nice watches, but I'd have to give the nod to the SD. If you pick up the SMP from the right place (AD with 30+ % discount), you won't lose much money on resale. If you walk into your local AD and get 10% off retail, you'll take a bath if you ever decide to sell it.
The Omega offers a great watch at a much lower entry level price point. However the Rolex (Sub or SD) offers better case material, in-house movement, tradition, prestige, etc. Biggest drawback is the initial cost being more than twice that of the SMP.
If your budget allows for the Sub or SD...get one. If not, the Omega is a great choice.
Old 20 February 2008, 02:34 AM   #19
wantonebad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Like the others I’ve had a succession of watches, all the while telling myself “ah, it just like the Submariner”, and then when I saw someone wearing the sub, I would just drool. I’m as cheap as they come, and finally I just had to come to grips with the fact that nothing else is a Rolex and rationalizing wasn’t working for me. It’s easy for me to say “ah cut to the chase and just buy the Rolex” cause I bought lots of watches I didn’t need hoping it would get me closer to what I wanted, but sometimes you just have to find out for yourself, so do as you please.

But when you change your mind, come back here so we can all tell you we told you so!!

wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 02:36 AM   #20
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Hey,

I was in the same boat. Do yourself a favor and skip on Tag. If you want to get an Omega, go with a gray dealer or used. Amazon.com or Bernardwatch.com will have good prices on Omega.

Rolex Sub is iconic, but it was not for me. Stainless steel Submariners will retain most of the value over time. Combined with regular price increases and the fact that you can almost always flip it at a good price makes it a good first choice. But do yourself a favor and try all the watches first. After looking at many watches I actually prefer GMT-IIc over Sub, but that is my choice.

One more thing: It is all up to you. Whatever marketing gurus have come up with is irrelevant. You can climb mountains and dive w/o a Rolex watch and many people have done just that. Go to a store, try watches, get the one that you love the most.
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 02:39 AM   #21
nsolga
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc
Get the Rolex. Anything else will be a money loss in the long term...

Buy it, keep it and then if you wish, trade up "flip" when it is fiscally a good option. (if you can wait that long!)
nsolga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 03:07 AM   #22
Arturo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black GMT ll
I have both a Sub and an Omega SMP...both very nice watches. I have SMP moods and SUB moods. The SMP is a solid product with beatiful face, and a great bracelet. The Rolex is simply a Rolex, and many times, if you get the Omega, you will want the Rolex and then end up spending the money on both. If you get the Rolex first, you are likely to be satisfied and not think that you compromised on the Omega.
Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 05:19 AM   #23
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Your choice depends on what you want in a watch, or need. My bias is that I would choose between the Omega and the Rolex and would eliminate Tag for several reasons I find relevant, but obviously not you. Sometimes you have to just choose based on what it is YOU find important. All three I am sure will work fine. . . but I would bet that the Omega and Rolex would last longer. Best of luck.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 06:37 AM   #24
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Skip the Tag, then you can't go wrong between the Omega SMP and the Sub. As already stated you can buy a SMP for 30% off msrp if you do your research, I paid just over $1500 for a new one from a AD a month ago, the msrp at the time was $2150, now $2300. I believe. Now theirs the sub., a fantastic watch as everyone already stated but you are dishing out 3 times the cash for one, you just need to figure out which one you will be happiest with. I actually started out with a sub and bought a SMP after hearing so many praises about them on various watch forums, and I have to tell you, I love my sub but I love my SMP just as much. They both have great quality's but as already stated from others, Omega has some great qualities that by no means should be present on a watch that costs 3 times less than it's competitor. You can't lose either way really, both great watches but I personally think the edge goes to the Omega mainly because of price point and overall bang for your buck, OH, and the Omega doesn't have the cyclops. If you are going to buy a Rolex, the 14060M ND sub. is a fantastic pick, and you can buy a resale for a very nice price. I bought my sub. from a AD also and got about $600. off the list, good deal too.
karmatp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 06:39 AM   #25
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
This is simple, just buy the one that smiles at you
I right!
Go straight to planet Rolex and save yourselve a few bucks. I had a number of years great service out of a Seiko that looke dlike a Daytona on a Jubilee bracelet. Battery went it is in the drawer worth nothing.
At least the Rollie will be worth what you paid for it in a few years time, although I have never advocated buying a watch as an investment.
Old 20 February 2008, 06:44 AM   #26
C.J.
"TRF" Member

For pure bang for your buck, Omega all the way. If the extra $$$ isn't a problem and you want the all around total package, get the Sub. You really can't go wrong with either one
Old 20 February 2008, 06:58 AM   #27
PhilM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Having owned lots of diffrent brands of watches for the past 3 years, I finally got my SD last week and all I can say is I'm glad I took the plunge.. so if your after just one out of the three it's got to be the Rolex
PhilM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 07:19 AM   #28
mdtddd2007
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, GS
go with a Rolex.
mdtddd2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 07:21 AM   #29
erasuretim
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
If you like classic styling and the watch is to be a 'keeper' i would say go for the sub [i have a no date 14060m]. For me Omega's designs are too fashion conscious and change quickly to match the vicissitudes of style.

The sub has evolved slowly [like most of the Rolex line] and a you can see the DNA of the original models from 50 years ago in the latest model. A sub will never be out of style or fashion because it transcends these temporal concepts. A sub is 'the' dive watch - all others are just wannabes IMHO. The Omega will date quicker as its design is tied closer to the style of the time.

But that just my two cents - buy the one that makes you smile

Regards

Tim
erasuretim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2008, 07:24 AM   #30
applebook
"TRF" Member

Tag?

Seamaster

Sub