The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 April 2024, 11:36 PM   #1
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Icon4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
This plus movements are outsourced of which I am not a fan of at this price point. (fabrique du temps)
At this price point,for a small independent, I think that is pretty standard to not make their on movement.

Gronefeld do not make theirs. AP and VC call on other movement makers occasionally. PP has a long history of using movements from other makers.

The movements were designed by LF and produced exclusively for LF. If everything was made in house I think they would be in the 75 to 125,000 price range, for a time only watch. Based on other watches in the market.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 12:49 AM   #2
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
At this price point,for a small independent, I think that is pretty standard to not make their on movement.

Gronefeld do not make theirs. AP and VC call on other movement makers occasionally. PP has a long history of using movements from other makers.

The movements were designed by LF and produced exclusively for LF. If everything was made in house I think they would be in the 75 to 125,000 price range, for a time only watch. Based on other watches in the market.
True. I get the in-house argument as a marketing ploy. Seems to be a recurring topic on this forum. But nobody cared 10 years ago until companies like Rolex started going "in-house" and marketing their own movements as somehow better. Certainly ETA movements are commoditized, for example, so its a fair enough argument there. But ultimately if the movements are designed well, run well, and have an interesting architecture, why do I care if it's built fully in-house or just designed and finished in-house?

Folks making the argument that a watch brand's "in-house" manufactured movements are superior to fabrique du temps movements simply because the brand is manufacturing movements "in-house" is a bit naive.

Isn't the real art in designing the movement architecture and then the finishing you put on it? Any equipped machine can cut some pieces of metal (just like most folks can swing a hammer). So why do you care where that machine is physically located?
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 03:55 AM   #3
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
True. I get the in-house argument as a marketing ploy. Seems to be a recurring topic on this forum. But nobody cared 10 years ago until companies like Rolex started going "in-house" and marketing their own movements as somehow better. Certainly ETA movements are commoditized, for example, so its a fair enough argument there. But ultimately if the movements are designed well, run well, and have an interesting architecture, why do I care if it's built fully in-house or just designed and finished in-house?

Folks making the argument that a watch brand's "in-house" manufactured movements are superior to fabrique du temps movements simply because the brand is manufacturing movements "in-house" is a bit naive.

Isn't the real art in designing the movement architecture and then the finishing you put on it? Any equipped machine can cut some pieces of metal (just like most folks can swing a hammer). So why do you care where that machine is physically located?

I don't care about in-house movements...except if something unique is gained from it.

For example, the Armin Strom Gravity Equal Force and Mirrored Force Resonance are both super unique because of their in-house movements.

Or with Gauthier's Logical 1...obviously the insane roller chain with rubies is 100% unique.

Even voutilainen's new inverse movement.

Or since we mentioned gronefeld above...the movement on the remmontoire is ridiculously cool...
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 05:13 AM   #4
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
I don't care about in-house movements...except if something unique is gained from it.

For example, the Armin Strom Gravity Equal Force and Mirrored Force Resonance are both super unique because of their in-house movements.

Or with Gauthier's Logical 1...obviously the insane roller chain with rubies is 100% unique.

Even voutilainen's new inverse movement.

Or since we mentioned gronefeld above...the movement on the remmontoire is ridiculously cool...

I agree with you there. Unique movements are cool and the watches you mentioned are stellar. Laurent Ferrier plays in a different sand lot. That said, if a brand (Laurent Ferrier or another) deigned a unique / progressive movement and outsourced its actual manufacturing, to me, that’s not a demerit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 03:43 AM   #5
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post

I would prefer if everything by a brand was done in-house but that’s not realistic for most of them. It’s also cost prohibitive for both many consumers and the brands themselves. I think the Principia is fairly priced for what you get. Yea it’s not made in-house but the finishing is just amazing and I think it’s worth every penny. Some may disagree but I didn’t struggle with buying one just because it was made elsewhere. Laurent Ferrier is similar I but I just prefer Gronefeld overall and other brands in the same price range.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote