The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Closed Thread

Old 5 June 2015, 01:05 AM   #1
buffpilot
"TRF" Member

drster- 3 of 5 stars

I purchased a Breitling Transocean from "drster" and I pondered mightily how to review our transaction. Ultimately, I decided to award a 3 out of 5 stars. The Transocean I received is as described, at a fair price, and with all of the advertised papers. My decision to award only three stars has less to do with the watch or price, and more to do with three less "tangible" aspects of the transaction:

First, I was able to contact Mark both via email and phone. When I talked to him, I had a list of questions that I developed to determine if the watch was something that I wanted. Rather than demonstrating patience in answering my questions, Mark seemed to take exception to them and become "frustrated." Ultimately, I did get the answers that I wanted, but the tone of the conversation was "tense." The list my questions is as follows:

- Is the watch guaranteed to be a 100% authentic Breitling Transocean?
- Is the watch guaranteed to not be stolen goods?
- Does the watch have any cosmetic defects?
- Does the watch set properly?
- Does the watch keep accurate time?
- Do all the chronograph functions work properly?
- What size wrist will the watch fit?
- when was the watch purchased and what is the model year?

Second, Mark seemed very hesitant to accept PayPal as a form of payment. This was surprising because his listing clearly stated that he accepted PayPal. I seemed to have to convince him to accept PayPal. To convince him, he had to research me to determine if he trusted me enough to accept my payment through PayPal. To be fair, I know that there is the possibility that I could use PayPal to scam Mark. This being said, I would have expected that using PayPal (since he advertised it) would have been as painless as if i bought the watch using some other forum (i.e. eBay).

Third (and most frustrating), Mark advertised that the Breitling I purchased had a five year warranty. While this is true, it does not tell the whole story. In order to maintain the five year warranty, the watch must be returned to Breitling at the two-year point for maintenance. Mark did not do this nor did he advertise that the watch needed this maintenance. After paying for the watch, I contacted an AD and Breitling service center only to learn of Breitling's warranty restrictions. Breitling would accept my watch for the required maintenance, free of charge, but would need to keep the watch for a month. Ultimately, I am without my new watch for a total of six weeks and $45 (shipping) so that Breitling can perform the required warranty work. I contacted Mark about the warranty issue and he professed (truthfully, I think) lack of knowledge about this restriction. I think that it is his duty as the seller, to know of all of the limitations of his product. In my case, his advertisement should have indicted the need for warranty maintenance or Mark should have rectified the discrepancy prior to listing the watch.

Overall, Mark is pleasant and sold me a good watch at a fair price. However, for the the overall transaction I award 3 of 5 stars.

buffpilot
Old 5 June 2015, 02:13 AM   #2
mattmcmhn
2024 Pledge Member

I've also dealt with Mark. Reading your post, I understand his frustration at some of those questions, and his hesitance on accepting PayPal. Were I him and a member with very few posts and no feedback contacted me with pretty aggressive questions like "is this stolen" and "is this authentic", it would seem like a setup for problems once you received the watch so you could file a claim and get a full or partial refund, and PayPal is notorious for never siding with sellers under many circumstances. While I don't think that's the case here since you've posted feedback, up front that's hard to judge when selling and I probably would have just not sold to you. The warranty requirement is an odd issue, I've never heard of a warranty that had those stipulations. In the end though it seems like you're getting a full maintenance done by Breitling for just the cost of shipping, with another 3 years warranty remaining... that's a pretty good deal. All in all, I would still deal with Mark again.
Old 5 June 2015, 02:22 AM   #3
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
The thing about a trusted seller is, at some point you have to trust him. I found some of your questions offensive and the sign of an amateur buyer. He may have perceived them similarly.
Old 5 June 2015, 02:49 AM   #4
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
The thing about a trusted seller is, at some point you have to trust him. I found some of your questions offensive and the sign of an amateur buyer. He may have perceived them similarly.
I have to agree with this... Mark is a good guy and a trusted seller. I trust him 110%.
Old 5 June 2015, 03:22 AM   #5
nsumner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
I have to agree with this... Mark is a good guy and a trusted seller. I trust him 110%.
Sorry op.... Me too

Mark is a great/trusted seller and an extremely nice man. It sounds like he was attempting to protect himself. A sellers due diligence is just as important as a buyers.
Old 5 June 2015, 03:41 AM   #6
psv
"TRF" Member

Buffpilot, first of all congrats on your new watch.

It seems to me like you would are the type of buyer who would have been better off buying a new watch from an AD.

The regular sellers here deal in volume, on most pieces not on high margin, so naturally they prefer less questions to many. I don't think it is fair to assume a seller should know all the different warranties for all the brands he/she sells, how they differ from country to country, etc. Again, he/she is not an authorized dealer, and you knew that going in to the deal. Nor is it fair to ask in writing if the watch is stolen or not, it is not only insulting but no one in their right mind would answer that question as it makes you liable. A watch might be on their 2nd, 3rd or even 10th owner - how would a volume seller know the exact history of each watch? Again, if you want that, you have to pay the premium price and get it from an AD.

Now, I've interacted with Mark about some watches, I never dealt with him. And I might agree with you that he is not a warm and long-winding communicator, but if you don't get the vibe from someone, why continue with the deal?
Old 5 June 2015, 04:13 AM   #7
AJSM
2024 Pledge Member

"It seems to me like you would are the type of buyer who would have been better off buying a new watch from an AD.

The regular sellers here deal in volume, on most pieces not on high margin, so naturally they prefer less questions to many. I don't think it is fair to assume a seller should know all the different warranties for all the brands he/she sells, how they differ from country to country, etc. Again, he/she is not an authorized dealer, and you knew that going in to the deal. Nor is it fair to ask in writing if the watch is stolen or not, it is not only insulting but no one in their right mind would answer that question as it makes you liable. A watch might be on their 2nd, 3rd or even 10th owner - how would a volume seller know the exact history of each watch? Again, if you want that, you have to pay the premium price and get it from an AD."

As PSV stated... If you want you hand held through the transaction then you should go to a AD. When you Pay the AD price you figure in their time and effort in selling you the watch, answering all your questions. When you buy online you are getting a better deal because you are not paying for the hand holding.... As for the warranty... The watch has a warranty.. You have to send it back and have it checked to have the warranty, but there is a warranty. He was not dishonest or misleading.. End of the day you got what you asked for and paid for.

Just my 2 cents..
Old 5 June 2015, 05:43 AM   #8
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
............I found some of your questions offensive and the sign of an amateur buyer. He may have perceived them similarly.
x2
Old 5 June 2015, 08:28 AM   #9
Jim M
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 14060M 16622
I'll deal with the drster any day, anytime as I have in past on more than one occasion. You, probably not. That is a disgraceful 3 of 5 rating. Some friggin employees at ADs couldn't answer your questions to your satisfaction!
Old 5 June 2015, 09:06 AM   #10
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Never dealt with him but nothing on here would dissuade me from doing so. I am actually surprised he went through with the transaction, if I were the seller I would not have. So kudos to him for dealing with unprofessional questions professionally.
Old 5 June 2015, 09:14 AM   #11
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
drster- 3 of 5 stars

I'll go with the crowd and say that with the amount and direction of questions I could see even the most patient person being tested. That being said, I bought my Vacheron Overseas from him last year and wouldn't hesitate to buy something else from him in the future. He's a trusted seller for a reason.

I definitely understand the PayPal issue though and for me it's a matter of convenience. I'm rarely free during work hours, especially before 4:30PM when they stop allowing wires. But in the end, I know that he and all other sellers have to protect their interests. I just wish online payments were easier for sellers and buyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 June 2015, 10:31 AM   #12
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
OP was a little too demanding in my opinion, maybe should have bought from an AD like others have mentioned

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
Old 5 June 2015, 12:04 PM   #13
mltworldwide
2024 Pledge Member

Okay I was going to let this slide but now I must respond

Ryan the OP here sent me a link to Breitlings warranty. It can be seen here:
http://www.breitling.com/en/service/...onal-warranty/
Here is the pertinent part:
Your Breitling wristwatch or chronograph equipped with a Manufacture movement is guaranteed against any manufacturing defect for five years from the date of purchase.
The only thing that requires a maintenance after 2 years is coverage for water resistance. Read the Breitling warranty as posted on the Breitling website and see for yourself. So the OP bought a used Breitling at a great price. He sent it in to Breitling because he thought he needed to but really it is only necessary to maintain coverage for water resistance. Breitling is going to replace the seals at no cost to him and he will have a better watch than I sold him at no cost to him and he is complaining about me and trying to sully my reputation. I thank all the posters who have looked at the facts and have made an unbiased response in my defense.
Old 5 June 2015, 12:52 PM   #14
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
OP - you should buy from an AD. You want all your questions about the watch addressed with 100% accuracy, buy new and be ready to pay more and you will get that. There is reason why this watch was sold to you at a reasonably good price. You can not have the cake and eat it too.

From the few times I have interacted with Mark, he has always been fair with pricing and a straight shooter. Despite this post, I would not hesitate to do a trade or buy from Mark.
Old 6 June 2015, 01:47 PM   #15
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None
It is in your best interest to buy from a local AD, Pay Full retail plus sales tax. Then all of your concerns will be guaranteed.

Watches:
Patek 5205G | Patek 5167A | 16613 Serti | 116718 Green | 216570 Black | 16700 Pepsi

Wish list:
Patek 5726/1 | AP RG Ceramic | Patek 5712 | Patek 5130
Old 7 June 2015, 12:21 AM   #16
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Have to agree with John here. Until you are the seller, it's hard to grasp that there are equal risks being taken on both sides of a deal.
Old 7 June 2015, 12:31 AM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by anderl712000 View Post
OP was a little too demanding in my opinion, maybe should have bought from an AD like others have mentioned
Agreed, gives me a whole new appreciation for what trusted seller go through
Old 7 June 2015, 12:47 AM   #18
Btdd05
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5167
Drster is a great seller i have dealt with Mark on only occasion and it was great >
Old 7 June 2015, 09:52 AM   #19
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
OP, after you asked the first two questions, I would have hung up on you. Bordering on offensive, they're downright stupid. Just think about it, if you have the capacity...

Quote:
Is the watch guaranteed to be a 100% authentic Breitling Transocean?
- Is the watch guaranteed to not be stolen goods?
If Mark was a scammer, he would tell you every goddamn reason why this IS an authentic and non-stolen piece. Use your noggin. Your line of questioning insinuates fraud, and you would have lost me at this point. If you can't take the time to look through 100's of glowing reviews left for Mark, then you don't deserve his business.
Quote:
- Does the watch have any cosmetic defects?
- did you read the description? I am sure that info was there.

I could go through the rest of your questions, but I feel like I'm killing braincells. I wouldn't have taken paypal from you either, you sound like a typical pain in the ass, uneducated, needlessly paranoid buyer that has no business buying outside of an AD. Just go, pay all the money, get a dog & pony show, and feel 100% confident in your purchase. If you can't tell the difference between a reputable seller and a potential fraud, you shouldn't buy grey.

Quote:
Third (and most frustrating), Mark advertised that the Breitling I purchased had a five year warranty. While this is true, it does not tell the whole story. In order to maintain the five year warranty, the watch must be returned to Breitling at the two-year point for maintenance. Mark did not do this nor did he advertise that the watch needed this maintenance. After paying for the watch, I contacted an AD and Breitling service center only to learn of Breitling's warranty restrictions. Breitling would accept my watch for the required maintenance, free of charge, but would need to keep the watch for a month. Ultimately, I am without my new watch for a total of six weeks and $45 (shipping) so that Breitling can perform the required warranty work. I contacted Mark about the warranty issue and he professed (truthfully, I think) lack of knowledge about this restriction. I think that it is his duty as the seller, to know of all of the limitations of his product. In my case, his advertisement should have indicted the need for warranty maintenance or Mark should have rectified the discrepancy prior to listing the watch.
what did I just read here?! What you're saying is that you have no idea how warranty works, this is no fault of Mark's. Not like the 5 year warranty works different on the watch that is bought from an AD. Do your research first.

People like you are the reason that good dealers are leaving forums in droves. And your 'rating' is insulting. Mark is, and always have been a 5-star seller, all the way. The fact that you don't know wtf you're doing as a buyer is no reflection on Mark whatsoever.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Old 7 June 2015, 10:12 AM   #20
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
Guess I'm in the minority here, but I didn't find his questions offensive at all... How many trusted sellers have turned out to be not so trusting??? You better believe I want to know if it's real or not. If it's too trying to answer 10 questions about a 5k watch, don't sell them... That being said, who cares about a rating of 3 out 5? What is this dancing with the stars? You got a watch, that was as described, leave it alone.
Old 7 June 2015, 10:14 AM   #21
JizJizJiz
"TRF" Member

I actually read the entire original post, although I am left wondering why. I will continue dealing with Mark, as I've done for a long time. As a buyer, I award you a 2 out of 5. You paid real money in usd currency as agreed, but I found the first-person account of your dealing rather annoying.

-Zack Ji
2FA on TRF enabled
Old 7 June 2015, 10:26 AM   #22
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

drster has been a long standing member and a trusted seller...

the activation of years 3 to 5 of your warranty has nothing to do with the watch you got (probably at a great price knowing duster)...doing a bit of research on various Breitling forums would have lead you to some answers...
Old 7 June 2015, 10:52 AM   #23
dnagwhogas
"TRF" Member

Watch: N :Learn
Holy shit. Agree with JIZJIZJIZ, as a buyer, I rate this guy a 1 out of 5 star. Clearly someone has a period. I have dealt with Mark tons of times and I will buy again. No issue wih drster. Deal with confidence.

P-Club Member # 7

Time is what prevents everything from happening at once.
Old 7 June 2015, 11:10 AM   #24
Frogman4me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Sorry op.... Me too

Mark is a great/trusted seller and an extremely nice man. It sounds like he was attempting to protect himself. A sellers due diligence is just as important as a buyers.
I agree Nat. I'm not seeing anything the seller did wrong here. He is doing his due dilegence just like any dealer would especially when accepting PayPal. In this business it is all about trust, and that is earned over time. If you ever been scammed then you would understand where the seller is coming from. Also I don't see the point of making this public, any complaint should be privately done between the buyer and seller first, after exhausting all options to reconcile then consider writing a review.
Old 7 June 2015, 11:20 AM   #25
onkyo
Banned

Interesting 'watchout' thread..... probably should not be posted here.
Old 7 June 2015, 11:31 AM   #26
ffighter556
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Great Seller.......................................
Old 7 June 2015, 11:35 AM   #27
RUpanerai
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam Patek Rolex AP
Thanks for the review.

I will be sure to never deal with you ever again. I have done over ten transactions with Mark and have never had an issue and all have been better than described.
Old 7 June 2015, 11:36 AM   #28
mboverst
"TRF" Member

This whole thread should have already been deleted. I talk with and deal with Mark weekly, and he's without a doubt one of the good guys. Saving myself a pointless rant, I'll just agree with and ditto Greg, Zack, and Maui.
Old 7 June 2015, 11:41 AM   #29
rmpickard
"TRF" Member

Just another vote in favor of Mark. I have purchased from him and was very pleased.
Old 7 June 2015, 01:49 PM   #30
eastbaysteve
"TRF" Member

I agree with the vast majority, I've trusted Mark for dozens of deals over many years and I will continue to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread