The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 October 2011, 02:21 AM   #1
benjclarke
"TRF" Member

Rolex Air King Date (5700) Help

Hello everyone,

I have just acquired an Air King Date (no pox or papers) and was wondering if someone could give me some advice please. The serial number is 1221178 which makes it around 1957 but the dial looks too new and i've never seen a white one before??? Also in the pic the date looks to be a champagne colour? I want to get it fully restored but not sure what to do with the dial...?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 123.JPG (25.1 KB, 344 views)
benjclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2011, 02:54 AM   #2
Andy B
"TRF" Member

Hello,
The reason why the dial looks new is because it has been re-finished at some point. The dial looks original, it's just the paint job that has been re done. The date wheel is a slightly off white colour because, being the original one, it will have aged. A re-rinished dial, I'm afraid, will reduce its overall value as collectors wil prize an all original one. As for restoring it, up to you but could be expensive. If it was me, I would try and get my money back and look for one that hadn't been tampered with.

Andy B
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2011, 03:07 AM   #3
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
the dial is a problem.

maybe someone on here knows if a Rolex "Date" could fit that case. The "Date" models are plentiful while AK Dates are harder to find.

did seller disclose that the dial was bad on it? you should try to adress this with seller if you werent.

otherwise, if you paid the equivalent of US$1000 or less, you did fine as is. anything more...
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2011, 03:57 AM   #4
benjclarke
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys, I paid £650.00 ($1000.00 ish) without the bracelet so looks like a bad deal, however it's a watch that I wanted to keep in the safe and pass down to my son when he's older (he's only eight). I know the Air King Dates are getting had to find now and my plan was to take it to a Rolex and get it serviced just so I've got some paperwork for it??? Do you think they could get a new dial or would it be a case of spending my life on ebay trying to find one!!
Old 15 October 2011, 04:45 AM   #5
Andy B
"TRF" Member

You could be in luck!
I have never sent a watch back to Rolex to have it serviced BUT, I understand that, as a matter of procedure, they will replace the dial. The only problem is that you will get a new dial as opposed to one from the 1950's, plus it's going to be expensive. Still, at least you will then have a genuine Rolex replacement dial which looks a lot better than the mess you currently have. Hopefully, those members who have had personal experience of this process will let you know a bit more.

AB
Old 15 October 2011, 04:47 AM   #6
Andy B
"TRF" Member

......to be honest, for the money it is going to cost you and particularly if you want a good piece to hand down, I would try and get your money back and find a better example.

AB
Old 15 October 2011, 04:58 AM   #7
benjclarke
"TRF" Member

Thaks AB, how much as a guess do you think it would cost??
Old 15 October 2011, 05:38 AM   #8
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

hey there - look, a running rolex for a grand is FINE. just love it for what it is.

i will keep my eyes peeled for a dial on ebay. they do turn up from time to time. there is also an "explorer date" that also could fit. same ref i believe.

dont send it to rolex. it will cost around what you paid for the watch. pay to have it cleaned for 100pounds and wear it on a nylon band.

you will come accross that dial soon enough.
Old 15 October 2011, 05:40 AM   #9
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

these are the ones that i come accross here in quebec all the time.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=198981
Old 15 October 2011, 07:15 AM   #10
Andy B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjclarke View Post
Thaks AB, how much as a guess do you think it would cost??
Not sure, I think if you send your watch to a Rolex Service Centre, they will assess the work that needs to be done with a quote. It is then for you to agree to have them carry out the work.

As mentioned before though, if you want a special piece to pass on then I would take your time, do some research and wait for the best example you can find. It will be a better investment in the long run. You could of course, as suggested, buy a cheap dial on Ebay but you would be further diminishing the value and historical integrity of the watch. Yes, you would have a decent Rolex for less than £750 which is fine but you wouldn't have the sort of watch that was special enough to warrant being kept in a safe and worthy of then being handed down the generations.
This is, though, just my opinion.
AB
Old 15 October 2011, 07:18 AM   #11
Andy B
"TRF" Member

....another thing,
Not only is the dial a problem but the hands are wrong for a 50's Air King too, they should be dagger shaped.
If you can, I would recommend a refund if poss and draw a line under this watch.
AB.
Old 15 October 2011, 10:26 AM   #12
benjclarke
"TRF" Member

Hi AB,

Thanks for all your info, getting my money back aint an option now as I bought the watch as a deal outside of ebay. Do you think it;s worh getting it reparied the best I can and hopefully in a few years from now it might be worth a few quid more as its an Air King Date or cut my losses now? I have a 2006 Yachtmasteer that will end up being my sones anyway but i've always wanted to get a vintage Rolex as an investment?
Old 16 October 2011, 03:29 AM   #13
Andy B
"TRF" Member

Hmmmm..... You paid £650 for it which isnt bad. If I was in your position, I could be empted put it on Ebay and there will be every chance you will achieve near enough £650 but you will be stung by Ebay fees which would eat significantly into your winnings. If you can afford to, it may be worth sitting on it for a year, chances are it may appreciate in value a little perhaps. If you are considering having it restored, I would recommend sending it to Rolex and nobody else. In fact, this might be the first thing to do as then you will at least know of the figures involved in its restoration. I think that would be the best starting point. I think a Rolex service replacement dial would be good solution but for the price they are likely to charge you, puttinng it on Ebay (Or this Forum as no fees involved) and just cutting your losses might be the most cost effective solution long term.
When buying an Investment piece, you should do as much research as you can, set a budget and then buy the best example you can find.

I think I would be inclined to flog it and start again.
Old 16 October 2011, 04:48 AM   #14
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
The dials are still available from Rolex.

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2011, 10:06 AM   #15
ibramr
"TRF" Member

I can not opine on this specific watch, but I did buy while studying in England back in the early 1980s an airking date (from Rolex dealer in Southhampton). It had a white dial and looked very close to what is pictured above. The watch served me with all honesty and ability for 30 years with only periodic service in RSC. It is now serving my older son--again, very admirably. If I were you, I would consider servicing it to ensure movement is within factory tolerence, then use it. Enjoy in good health.
ibramr is offline   Reply With Quote